This City at Night - RELEASED

Started by paolo, Fri 27/03/2009 10:37:23

Previous topic - Next topic

paolo

RELEASED December 2018.

Game announcement thread: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=56750.msg636599275
Game page: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2313/

===============

Tracey hates her humdrum job at Insurance International, but it turns out there is more going on there than meets the eye. An unknown organisation is plotting a coup that will have catastrophic global consequences, and unless it can be stopped in time, the world will be brought to its knees...

Some screenshots for you (these will look different in the finished game):

Ben304 and I started work on this game not long after completing Trance-Pacific, so as you can see, it's been in production for a while. Ben was producing the graphics but unfortunately had to bow out, so the project stalled for a while. James DiGrizz has produced some great backgrounds for me, three of which are shown above.

Latest update (11 April 2016): Demo version released. Play the first few scenes of the game! Some features are not available in the demo and the artwork will be updated in the full version.

Game page: here
Download link: here

ThreeOhFour

Those backgrounds look great!

Good luck with getting this finished, Paul :D

Spike4072

Looks great. Good luck on this can't wait to play it. :)

Sorry can't help you I stink at making characters or I would all ready have my own game out :P

Alarconte

I love it! Luck with the game!

But maybe characters and bgs need more cohesion, not?
"Tiny pixelated boobies are the heart and soul of Castlevania"

Galactic Battlefare Capital Choice Part 1 , finished, releasing soon
GBF CC Part 2, WIP

paolo

Thanks, everyone, for your encouraging words. Progress is slow but sure.

Alarconte: The characters are temporary (they were drawn by Ben and the backgrounds were drawn by James DiGrizz). I am looking for someone to redraw them in the style that fits more closely with the backgrounds.

Dualnames

Great to see you guys are back on track, I'm still confused on who's doing what, but I guess the credits will settle it. ;)
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

paolo

Quote from: Dualnames on Mon 30/03/2009 09:45:04
Great to see you guys are back on track, I'm still confused on who's doing what, but I guess the credits will settle it. ;)

Thanks. Yep, it'll all be sorted out by then :) I say that the game is by Ben and me because he came up with the idea and we developed the story together. He also did the artwork for the inventory items and the cursors, and some of the backgrounds that he drew have been reworked by James.

arrr

As it seems, I think I should post something here too.

Well people, I'll let you all in a little secret Paul is keeping from you all. TCAN will have theese features also:

-98057 different rooms, all hand-drawn
-47 different endings
-38 playable characters
-a 3d, online, multiplayer, doom-style, mini-game featuring advanced shading via directX 16 with shaders and realistic looking water.
-a grid based inventory with magic weapons and potions like Diablo
-a random level generator
-physics engine with ragg-doll effects on every hotspot and inventory item
-random taxmen appearing out of thin air
-adventure related permanent death, so when you do something wrong and die, the game will erase your saves, the game itself, windows, and overclock your CPU untill it explodes
-a palette of 143 gazillion colours
-and we are also thinking of porting it to J2me platform so we can play it on your tiny mobile screen

Minimum system requirements are just:
  -34.5 octo-core processor
  -4 TB ram
  -six fingers on each hand as the game is playable wit two mouses/mices? in each hand simultaniuosly
  -580X speed Blu-ray drive
  -new nVidia GeForce 300098 ST turbo-diesel mega power unreal graphic card
  -a new title: Angel Sword of Mysterious Cavern Mega-robot X devotion and apathy

All this will be implemented until tomorrow morning and we will still have enough time left to make ourselves a warm cup of tea.

Beat that other AGS game developers!

And yes, I'm not kidding =D, Honestly! Cross my french potatoes and hope to fry.

paolo

Quote from: James DiGrizz on Tue 31/03/2009 14:05:56
As it seems, I think I should post something here too.

Well people, I'll let you all in a little secret Paul is keeping from you all. TCAN will have theese features also:

98057 different rooms, all hand-drawn
[etc]

You'd better a get a move on then... I haven't even had the first 1000 rooms from you yet. (Maybe you should have waited until this morning before posting! :P)

dirk delshire

I love the style of this game right down to the text everything has a unique feel about it.
I always love hand drawn sprites too, they remind me of Ben Jordan.
OMEGA Works Lead Director
Sometimes the art defines the artist but I believe artist defines himself...

paolo

Quote from: dirk delshire on Mon 06/04/2009 22:20:22
I love the style of this game right down to the text everything has a unique feel about it.
I always love hand drawn sprites too, they remind me of Ben Jordan.

Thank you, it's nice to hear that. Wow, a comparison to Ben Jordan... I don't know if I can live up to that!

The game is coming along slowly. Half of the music has now been done and nearly two-thirds of the backgrounds. There is still loads of scripting to do (even though I say 91% is done, each 1% involves a lot of work...) but it's all coming together.

UPDATE: The backgrounds and music are coming along very well, but I am still looking for someone to do the character art if anyone is interested.

paolo

Forgive the double post and the bump, but I thought I'd tease you all with another screenshot :)

By the way, I'm still looking for someone to draw the characters in a style that fits well with the backgrounds (the characters you see in these screenshots are temporary), so if anyone wants to take it on, please PM me.

paolo

Update... the music is now all finished and it is awesome (thanks, Jordi)!

The backgrounds are coming along very nicely (thanks, James), and I'm gradually getting through the huge pile of scripting and testing there is to be done.

paolo

Update...

I've decided to do the character art myself. It's not that difficult, just laborious and slow-going, but it's coming along slowly.

The game uses portraits for speech and these are now complete for a few of the characters. Here's a sneak peek of Tracey's main portrait...

The portraits for each of the main characters will have various expressions.

sthomannch

Superb graphics! I'm looking forward to this one

paolo

Quote from: sthomannch on Fri 14/08/2009 19:58:28
Superb graphics! I'm looking forward to this one

Thank you!

It will be quite a while yet, I'm afraid. So far I have done the portraits for about a third of the characters... the one you see above is one of the most expressive with six different facial expressions. I have two-thirds of the walkcycle done for this character too. Lots more to do, but it is coming along, little by little.

J_Aguila

I really like the sample portrait, good work Paul. Can't wait to see the game finished :)
You can check my music by following this link:
www.myspace.com/oniricajordi

EdLoen

Everything looks to be awesome.... but those Neon eyes are freaking me out....

paolo

Thanks for the comments.

The portraits are about half done now. I hope to get more done over the weekend.

Atelier

I never knew that Yoshi was the interior designer for Insurance International... :)

That brief description has me hooked!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk