AGS Wii Port?

Started by subspark, Sun 29/03/2009 10:57:43

Previous topic - Next topic

subspark

Based on this thread I beleive scotch was going to begin on a Nintendo Wii port of AGS. :D
Am I correct in assuming this is an ongoing process?

I certainly do hope so!

Cheers,
Sparky.

magintz

I'd much rather see a DS port.
When I was a little kid we had a sand box. It was a quicksand box. I was an only child... eventually.

SpacePaw

Quote from: magintz on Sun 29/03/2009 18:27:23
I'd much rather see a DS port.

Yeah esspecially after playing ScummVM on DS ;)

Ghost

Swing the nunchuck(tm) to wriggle the blue cup. Ugh.

BOYD1981

i recently got a DS and have absolutely no desire to use or play AGS games on it, and the same goes for my Wii.
you have a PC, what's wrong with using AGS on that?

Limey Lizard, Waste Wizard!
01101101011000010110010001100101001000000111100101101111011101010010000001101100011011110110111101101011

Nickydude

I'd also love to see a DS port, nothing better than playing a point 'n' click on the move. ;)
Best Regards,
Nickydude
www.madladdesigns.co.uk

AGS Beginner's Guide - All you'll ever need!

Joseph DiPerla

This was a PM I received from him back in august:

He wants me to do it, yes, but I haven't started yet because the source control system isn't up to date. I can't make any promises about alternatate OSes until I get going, but it seems quite probable the Linux and Mac versions could run from the same code because it'd be OpenGL based.
Joseph DiPerla--- http://www.adventurestockpile.com
Play my Star Wars MMORPG: http://sw-bfs.com
See my Fiverr page for translation and other services: https://www.fiverr.com/josephdiperla
Google Plus Adventure Community: https://plus.google.com/communities/116504865864458899575

subspark

Why do people want a DS VERSION!!!!!! YUCK!! :) Did you not realize that the DS has a substandard display resolution and requires people running ScummVM to manually scroll the viewport because the DS resolution is a disgusting 256 x 192!!
Even the new DSi retains the same poor resolution I've seen so many Nintendo fans complain about.

On the other hand the Wii is a perfect fit for AGS. With regular support for homebrew and a great space to explore with the wiiMote I can't imagine a greater fit besides the PSP. But we all know that may not be as popular.

Just my thoughts and opinion...

Cheers, Sparky.

magintz

I disagree, despite the obviously poor screen resolution it worked perfectly on point and click ports with ScummVM and I managed to enjoy my way through BASS and FOTAQ recently. I love playing on my DS while at home and on the move and the touch screen interface is probably the best way to handle a P&C adventure game out of the handheld market. The only thing the PSP has going for it is the screen and I'd rather be able to play a game than just look at pretty colours or play EA Quest.

An AGS port to the DS might not be practical because of the resolution but the touch screen is just screaming for adventure games IMO much the same way you feel about the Wiimote, but I'm personally not a fan of the Wii.
When I was a little kid we had a sand box. It was a quicksand box. I was an only child... eventually.

subspark

Then it would seem the iPhone has the best of both worlds. Great widescreen resolution, unprecedented touch-screen capabilities, am I wrong?

Cheers,
Sparky. :)

SpacePaw

Quote from: subspark on Mon 30/03/2009 03:32:26
Then it would seem the iPhone has the best of both worlds. Great widescreen resolution, unprecedented touch-screen capabilities, am I wrong?

Cheers,
Sparky. :)

And costs hell lot of money and most people don't have it :)

subspark

LOL this is true. I really hope AGS is ported to Wii. I've got one, everybody's got one, and it all just makes a whole lot of darn sense. :P

Sparky.

Cpt Ezz

it would be sooooooo awesome if they made a port for any console but manly for ds and wii LOL  ;D
if only though

Trent R

I think Handheld would be the best, specifically touchscreen ones (but if there were other buttons, you can play with a D-pad.*)

Like for ScummVM, I just recently put the (admittedly outdated, but still excellent) PalmOS version on my Treo. Finished MI2 last night after getting stuck on some of the puzzles I forgot.

~Trent
*Anyone played Shadowrun for the SNES? That has an interface that could translate easy to Adventure games on Handheld platforms.
To give back to the AGS community, I can get you free, full versions of commercial software. Recently, Paint Shop Pro X, and eXPert PDF Pro 6. Please PM me for details.

Current Project: The Wanderer
On Hold: Hero of the Rune

subspark

QuoteAnyone played Shadowrun for the SNES?
OMG YES!!!

What a novel idea too!

Sparky.

SpacePaw

I agree with the hanheld beeing best option. It is MOBILE, you can take it with you! Wii would be more just like a geeky thingy more for show than functionality :P

subspark

But a Wii wouldn't require a premature recoding of the resolution system not to mention all of the other things that go with porting to DS. Such as incompatibility of standard PC/Mac AGS games.
Remember the lack of resolution on the DS is a significant design problem for most developers who have a backlog of games they want to see on their handhelds. Anything below 320x200 is a big problem which I'm sorry to say, the DS is the only handheld with such a silly drawback.
Sorry to put it directly but we have to be honest here - I for one did not enjoy ANY LucasArts/Sierra adventure on my DS. Having to scroll my viewport manually was just, inconceivably cumbersome and abrupt to my gameplay experience.

Sparky.

Snarky

But wouldn't the point of AGS running on the DS be to develop new adventure games, not to port old ones? And in that case, it shouldn't be a problem to just develop the game in this slightly lower resolution in the first place.

Being able to play AGS games on a handheld would be extremely cool (whenever I travel I always get to play some Phoenix Wright  or Dr Layton or one of the other good DS adventure titles), and now that the upcoming version is going to have a memory card slot, it should get much easier to put non-Nintendo certified titles onto the machine.

subspark

QuoteBut wouldn't the point of AGS running on the DS be to develop new adventure games, not to port old ones? And in that case, it shouldn't be a problem to just develop the game in this slightly lower resolution in the first place.

Your definately right Snarky. I am convinced that new games at a lower resolution would be a dream come true for us!
Admittedly if we could run older games too I guess I could bare the thought of manual scrolling until new games are made.
In fact, I had a play of DOTT on my DS to lift the spirits yesterday and I realized how much I enjoyed it this time round.

Well if there is to be no Wii port, I'm ALL-IN for the DS.
[motivational voice]Lets make this happen folks!!![/motivational voice] :P

Cheers,
Sparky.

SpacePaw

Anyways. What would you have to do to get into development team? Is there a team at all or is it just a simple disscussion?

I tried developing for DS some time ago. Quite funny thing the way it works...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk