Keptosh I: The Search for Junc

Started by juncmodule, Wed 29/01/2003 01:15:40

Previous topic - Next topic

2ma2

Really really kickass. The soundtrack was awe. It had some lesser exciting tunes, but the rest added tremendous to the cyberpunk feeling!!

The graphics are sweet-o, like a mixture of Manhunter and SQ3, and all the wandering characters are even greater. But the main character is greatest of them ALL! It IS Goldmund!!! In the Flesh!!!! :D

A bit short, and the puzzles we're the weakest part. That sq2 deathtrap was very annoying since, apart from being highly malplaced, just were there to stall further advancement. Oh, and please allow one to speed up the game even more, it was hell to watch him go from one side of the screen to another sometimes :)

For a first production, very very good. A bit unpolished, but nevertheless among the more entertaining games I've played for a while. Three tumbs up!

Goldmund

Yes, 2ma2, I have noticed this terryfying resemblance. I think it's a masterstroke on the part of Juncmodule, to put me in shoes of a person who gives Junc to people and is generally a hero, maybe because I'm a hero.
As for the game itself:
- soundtrack - sweat, great, etc!!! although there was one small melody when walking the streets that seemed strangely misplaced, as if Hal 2000 started to sing "Home, Sweet Home"
- graphics and wandering NPCs - veery good, veery good, but it would be even better when following (spying on) a NPC added something to the plot;
- yeah, puzzles were too easy, and where they weren't easy it was only for some weakness of the GUI. I don't like it how you explicitly tell the player what to do next, and also I think that it would be more fun if you refrained from taking the control from the player so often (the bar scene, the levitator scene). Generally it's more fun to do such things yourself than to have the game do it for you. Also the WIRE puzzle - yeah, a bit misplaced, because suddenly you broke the realistic style of the game and added a slightly absurd element to the corp's HQ; not to mention the death scene, which was too funny for the game, IMO.
- some unhandled event interactions would make the game better as well.
Keep in mind that I'm so picky because you delivered a polished, quality product (thanks!!!) and in such cases I can only think what could be done in order to make it even better. Great job, generally, you worked with atmosphere still unique to amateur games!

juncmodule

Wow, thanks guys. My biggest fault in this game was that I planned it out before I knew much of anything about AGS. I went for simple because I wasn't sure of my limitations. I was thinking King's Quest 1 depth, just to keep my goals realistic. Regardless, I do see some major parts which I could have improved at later stages of development. This was more of a technical test and it's amazing to see just how much people like the graphics and music. Perhaps in the future I will return to this game and update it and fix these shortcomings. For the time being...I'm on to other, much less glorious projects.

later,
-junc

Flippy_D

Junc, what projects are you working on now? I'd be very interested in you helping me with DROID.....

Esseb

I generally agree with the others: Great game, great graphics, great plot, but too short and simple.

Looking forward to whatever you may create next :).

(did you ever create anything with SCI Studio btw, or is this your first game ever?)

juncmodule

I got all of the graphics drawn for a game in SCI Studio and spent a massive amount of time trying to program. In the end I just grew to hate it.

There just isn't a community. I would get stuck, post a question on the forum and either get the good ol' "read the help file" or just some fairly useless answer. Half the time the engine crashed. It was just a big nightmare. In the end I left SCI Studio and came here. I sent Brian (the creator of SCI Studio) $50 after leaving in hopes that he will continue to work on things. He is getting a spot on Tech TV in March, so that community might grow some.

At first I thought I just didn't have the game making thing in me. Then I did Keptosh is such a short period of time and it just blew me away. Everything I know how to do in AGS I can do through scripting which just amazes me that I can do that after having only used the program for a few months.

Currently I am working on a Space trading/pirate game...maybe. I'm not sure if I will have the time to help you out Flippy_D. I really appreciate the offer but, school and work are sucking away my time again.

later,
-junc

Flippy_D

No worries Junc, I'd hate to impede on you :)

Barcik

Just finished and I like it! My few comments:
1. Atmosphere! Ther atmosphere of the game is, imo, the best thing about it. You can FEEL Keptosh!
2. Soundtrack, mostly fits the game perfectly, with only 1 or 2 annoying tunes.
3. Graphics. Everything is so very well animated, a whole bunch of NPCs, all in great 256 colors! Rock on!
4. Plot. Decent 'grim future' plot, not too good but ain't bad either.
5. Puzzles. As everyone else says, too darn easy. But hey, this is your first game. You are sure to get better.  ;)
Currently Working On: Monkey Island 1.5

Helm

Great work. The music was very fitting, the graphics old skool kewlness. I dug everything. The puzzles were to easy, but I considered this a plus, because it seemed to me, like the story flowed without any stumping. Great work. I loved your game. Even if you do not make anything else, this is enough for me to consider you one of the better members of the "I have made a game!" club.

Better than SOL :P
WINTERKILL

earwigz

I really enjoyed playing this game, and it has a very professional feel to it.  It reminded me of cyberpunk games like Beneath a Steel Sky.  Great work Junc!  :P

jannar85

Veteran, writer... with loads of unreleased games. Work in progress.

juncmodule

Sorry, my website is dead for about another week or two. Then it will be back up.

EDIT: Nevermind download it here:

http://www.juncmodule.com/downloads/keptosh.zip

later,
-junc

Soft, Gooey, Delicious.

Kant was a dirty deontologist fuck.
the fade.
Yeeha!
Call me...  now

juncmodule

Rabbit with Fangs: Thanks!

jannar85: Have you been able to download it? I put up a post that it would be gone for a few weeks and then about half an hour later found a solution.

earwigz: Thanks!

Helm: WooHoo! I'm a member of the "I have made a game!" club! Thanks Helm. This won't be my last one though. I'm working on a super dooper piece of crap right now! I promise it will even be crappier than Keptosh!

Barcik: Thanks for the input. The music thing in one of the rooms was actually a mistake. I realized after going back through things that I should have kept the same "type" of song throughout. That lended to the atmosphere a lot. I'm big on those "grim future" plots. Hah, puzzles are one of my weak points, next to graphics and scripting. My next game won't even have puzzles. Heh. That will solve that problem.

later,
-junc

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk