Joe's Horrible Hell

Started by Bizaron, Tue 12/12/2017 18:53:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Bizaron

Hello!

I have just finished a game called "Joe's Horrible Hell" and it is a direct sequel to "Joe's Miserable Life." It's my third game created in AGS and I start finding out that I really enjoy creating adventure games (I like to create games in general).

This time Joe goes to hell and he must find out why. I can't really tell you more. It should be a different kind of experience, compared to the previous part's bleak atmosphere. But it is still not supposed to be a fairy tale.

The graphics was created in paint.net and gimp, sounds are from freesound.org and music is from incompetech.com, voice acting is included too. I want to create one more part to make Joe's story into a trilogy!

CLICK ON THIS TEXT TO VIEW THE GAME

CLICK ON THIS TEXT TO VIEW THE FIRST PART

I am a f***ed up individual creating weird ass things because that gives me a strange sense of satisfaction.

Mandle

WOW!!! You work fast!

I can't wait to try!

I love how Hell is so colourful compared to Joe's bleak home.

KyriakosCH

Lol, looks very nice and bizarre :)
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

Bizaron

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Wed 13/12/2017 04:17:05
Lol, looks very nice and bizarre :)

Quote from: Mandle on Wed 13/12/2017 00:55:04
WOW!!! You work fast!

I can't wait to try!

I love how Hell is so colourful compared to Joe's bleak home.

It would be done even sooner (November) but I had to do sh**load of stuff that slowed me down. The atmosphere is much different than in the first part.
I am a f***ed up individual creating weird ass things because that gives me a strange sense of satisfaction.

Stupot

Just played it. Nice little sequel. Looking forward to the next installment :-D

Cocodrillo

Graphics: 10/10
I really liked the surreal touch of the environments and characters. The whole concept of hell (purgatory?) was processed in an original way. The little visual details - the interaction icons matching the player character (empty eyes), the runes, that were drawn one by one... were really impressive, I would not have enough of patience to do it. My personal favourites are the moving eyes on the ceiling, the "boss thingy" in the main room, the main room itself (love the purple walls and the runes)
Spoiler
and the way the machinery in the left room appeared and disappeared.
[close]

Dialogues/Dubbing: 8/10
This game featured really impressive work with sounds in general. The edited voices put the game atmosphere on a whole new level. It might have been time consuming, but it was definitely worth it. However, I would appreciate some new interactions with Giny
Spoiler
after the video is played, since now Joe knows that he basically took her soul away from her by consuming it and now she is only "what's left". Or maybe he could suggest to take her with him, she would refuse or state why she doesn't want to/can't... I don't know.
[close]
(for reasons known to only the two of us, Giny has best dub. :P)

Game play/puzzles: 5/10
Again, the puzzles really straight-forward, as it is not the main focus (just like in all of your short games). I sort of like the idea of
Spoiler
having to try multiple times to actually finish the tast, yet it might be confusing for some players and they might thing they don't do it correctly, especially if they have to do it more than twice. I suggest to put some kind of "warning sign" of this, I know the Giny's "properly" should be enough, but a slight change of her line ("You need to look even MORE properly", for example) would tell to the player that they are going the right direction.
[close]

Music: 10/10
As stated before, the work with sounds in general is something that's top notch in this game. The music featured did fit well and contributed a great deal to the atmosphere. I think it is one of your strongest abilities in game making - the work with sound. You just have the right taste on what to use to make it work (which is ironic given your... ehm... lack of the musician's ear? But maybe that might be what gives you the advantage?). My favourite song is the one played in the right room.

Atmosphere: 10/10
The surreal settings along with the sounds, graphics and slightly dark plot worked amazingly well together. I prefer this game to its prequel, since the surreal settings and more of my cup of tea than dirty houses and I did not feel the atmosphere from the first game at all. I just coudln't get as immersed in prequel as in this one. And sequel surpassing the prequel is not something seen very often.

I hope to meet Joe at least once again.
Of all the things I've lost
I miss my mind the most.

Bizaron

Quote from: Cocodrillo on Mon 25/12/2017 19:17:18

Wow, thx for another deep analysis :) You'll definetly meet Joe at least once and it's gonna be completely different from the previous two parts (just like the second is different from the first one in its atmosphere).

That "music and sound thing" is very ironical, since I can't even differentiate an acord from a tune or interval. However, I link music to mood and colors, so maybe that't what helps me.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk