Colin Simpson Leaves Employment

Started by Intense Degree, Fri 17/04/2009 08:14:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Intense Degree

Colin Simpson Leaves Employment 

After what may well have been the worst weekend of his life the final insult comes when Colin Simpson has to go back to work on Monday morning! But can he continue to put up with a job he hates for a horrible boss?

EXPERIENCE the thrills, boredom and petty mindedness of working in a real office!

ENJOY the company of other employees, most of whom you would never talk to outside of work!

This is a short game and is my first released game so please do not expect too much or be too harsh!

Big thanks to my Beta Testers Big Ron and [ Arjon ] - cheers guys.

Hope you enjoy it....

DOWNLOAD

[EDIT] or here if that didn't work http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=6d768777a892ca82aaca48175a79d1c3e04e75f6e8ebb871

Intense Degree

xenogia

Downloading now, sounds interesting.
edit: no download option.. sigh

Intense Degree

Sorry about that, posted the thread by mistake before I had finished the post!

Leon

Congratulations with this release. Looking interesting. Downloading now, commenting later.

Note:
- Clicking the link opens the same page in a new tab... ?
- Right click / save target wants to save index.htm
- Copying the link to the addressbar works!!! (for me).

Long live freeweb!
Ultimate Game Solutions - Because there is a solution for everything

Intense Degree

Sorry about that! Hope you enjoy playing it anyway...

OK, uploaded to a mirror as above which will hopefully work better.

Peter Bear

ended, well that was quite a good game as I reviewed it.

The character animation is not the best part ... The story, dialogues and puzzles were good.
I was afraid of the beginning I thought it would be a "you read more than you play" game, but no :)

another thing : does the story comes from true events ? ( not the intro, but the internet at work part )

:p
Not much time for gaming neither creating, but keeping an eye on everything :)

Intense Degree

Quote from: Pierre Hopquin on Fri 17/04/2009 16:45:17

another thing : does the story comes from true events ? ( not the intro, but the internet at work part )

:p

Thanks, glad you enjoyed it!

It's not really based on true events although Colin's office is the exact office I had in my last job (I attempted to draw it as I was sitting in it at my desk - the rest of the office is nothing like my old one though) and we did have our internet access taken away at one point...

Stee

err help please?

Spoiler
password is TR3N17 right? It won't let me login. Ive retreived password from margarets diary, and am waiting for sue to finish with reports. I have
[close]
<Babar> do me, do me, do me! :D
<ProgZMax> I got an idea - I reached in my pocket and pulled out my Galen. <timofonic2> Maybe I'm a bit gay, enough for do multitask and being romantical

Leon

Well the end was quite sudden... expected a bit more 'sparkles' there. But other than that, great puzzles. I loved the way the dialogs kept changing with each event. Well done. Animation could get a bit more attention, as said before. I didn't like the heavy borders around the dialogs. A thinner line would attract more.

Great how you handled the emails. They were already readable from screen but clicking them would repeat them in dialog, just in case. Well done!

What I noticed though:

Spoiler
Whenever Larry has to go to the toilet (far left.. ) you still can't enter Paul's office because Larry might see you.. and even funnier... you can still call Larry and he'll even answer  ;D On the toilet?? I know about mobile phones and wireless but..  :)
[close]

@Stee:

Are you sure you didn't make a typo? I can use it, it isn't case sensitive and I can use it first thing after starting the game, even without having the written one in my inventory.

Stee

positive

Spoiler
you have TR3N17 right?
[close]

it seems it will only allow me to enter 5 characters
<ProgZMax> I got an idea - I reached in my pocket and pulled out my Galen. <timofonic2> Maybe I'm a bit gay, enough for do multitask and being romantical

Intense Degree

@Leon - Thanks for the comments and glad you enjoyed it! I'll deal with those bugs completely intentional easter eggs(!) in an updated version. ;D

@Stee - You have the correct password and as mentioned it is not case sensitive. It sounds like the file may have been corrupted when you downloaded it. I would try to download/install again.

Leon

I can't imagine it would be a corruption thing. More corruption of the user..  ;D

@Intense:

While you're updating you might want to look at:
- a typo in the game, not sure which screen. Margaret says Loook instead of Look
- I crashed the game pressing restart at the end: Error: unable to restart game (error:File not found). Maybe a rename during production and not in the script?  ;)

@Stee:

You don't start with a space or anything? Come to think of it..... do you enter the numbers through the separate keypad or the number keys above the letters? Using the numbers on the keypad whilst not having the NUM-lock pressed, will result in a different character. You might want to use the other set of number keys. Or are you using a laptop....?

Zargblast

Enjoyable little game. I noticed one bug
Spoiler
When Carol's in the kitchen it's still possible to 'phone her at reception.
[close]

Also, you seem to have a static cupboard, stapler and calculator. They should all be 'stationery'!

Intense Degree

@Zargblast - thanks for the bug report, I can't believe how many times I spelt that wrong! Glad you enjoyed the game otherwise.

@Leon - I can't find that "Loook", let me know if you remember where it was. Also Restart seems to work fine for me at the end but I will have another look...

Also a walkthrough of my game on Ultimate Game Solutions? Now I know i've made it!  ;D := 8). Thanks very much Leon.

Stee

Yeah I'm running on a laptop, as I'm not at home on my main rig for another couple of weeks. Its a dell inspiron 1720, which has a num pad and the normal keys. I will go have a quick test anyway,I'm sure i've tried that. And ill turn off num lock just to be sure.................

UPDATE: Nope same problem. I d/led the media fire one, will give the other one a try when i  get the time to retrace my steps.

I would like to say im actually starting to enjoy the game, despite my first impressions. The idea of a game about working in an office, graphics (no offence there better than i could ever do) and the "first game" scenario didn't really appeal to me and never really has so congrats and convincing me to give first timers a shot, as I can be quite stubborn on that front, and an enjoyable game.

If only I had the time to make my own...

Leon

Intense:

My mistake, it was Colin talking to Margaret. When he's got his assignment from Larry to get the new files. Talking to Margaret: Larry said there were some more reports for me to loook at.

Stee

just tried a different version (the freewebs one as opposed to the mirror on mediafire i previously d/led). Im still not able to enter the password, wont let me type more than 5 characters). Shame really. The only other option i can think of is if someone would like to send me the game with a save after the password has been entered (providing you dont have to enter password every time) and i should be good to go. Would be much appreciated.  ;D

Leon

Two options: I can send you one with the password disabled from the beginning (but then you need to start again) or you send me your game and I'll enter it for you. Then I can also have a look wether it's in the game (of which I'm convinced it's not).

Stee

I doubt its the game since other people seem to be running it fine. Probably something to do with me running it on a laptop on vista.

If you could sort it out on my save for me it would be much appreciated. Uploaded here:

http://www.agsn.co.uk/I Broke Colin Simpson.zip

If not im not too bothered about starting from scratch again (i can afford a couple more days off). Either way much appreciado  ;D

Leon

Alrightie......    :o ::)

This is something I have never seen before. I've been able to reproduce your problem...

It seems to be the resolution.... starting a game in 320x240 results in the problem. I started a new game in 320 and couldn't enter more than 5 digits. Then I started a game in 640x480 and there was no problem. All was in windowed mode since my screen wouldn't allow 320 in full mode.

So the conclusion is that it is the check on password. Could it be that the contents of the box is checked for correctness based on the screen location (position of the cursor) instead of real content of the input box?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk