MAGS Special: 5 Years a MAGS Host

Started by Klaus, Fri 01/05/2009 14:07:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Klaus

Huh, a MAGS Special!? What's that!?
Let's go back in time - 5 years. In May 2004 I became the official host of the MAGS competition. Taking over the flame from Magintz, the former host at that time, I'm doing this "job" now longer than any other host before :) So it's time to celebrate MAGS with a special event this month!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What we already know ...
MAGS is a monthly competition for all amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to use AGS to create a game in under a month, following given rules. For more information please visit the Official MAGS Website

Why should I enter MAGS?
We're not here to tell you that you should enter MAGS, but merely allow it as a creative opportunity to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and generally as a good kick-start for the new comers (a.k.a n00bies).
MAGS is the perfect opportunity to make a game, and all competitiors get the game placed on the MAGS website.
MAGS is meant to be fun and is aimed at everyone, despite their skill. If you have poor art skills work on graphics, and vice-versa, as the voting is based on "favourite" games, and not the most artistic, you may get help for the competiton, but should try not get anyone else to do any part of the game for you.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So it's a MAGS Special and these are the special guidlines:
* Please create a real classic point-and-click adventure with cool puzzles and an interesting story. So don't go for RPG, text adventure or arcade please. No restrictions concerning colors and resoultion, ...

* As the topic is "5 years a mags host" a "host" should play a main part in the story. For example:

+ A host invites a number of people and is suddenly killed... - remember "Murder by Death"?
+ A (g)host story based in a hotel - maybe a mix of "Psycho" and "Hotel California".
+ A dog hosts a number of fleas that want to take control of him - "Nanobots on a Dog" ;)
These are just examples - no need to go for these ideas. You're totally free in the way you include the host. The host does not need to be the player character.

You are not allowed to (re)use material that you already created before this competition, you game must be completely new!

Now what about that screenshot up top!?
Actually this screenshot is there just to get your attention  :o It's created just for this announcement so it's no game that exists or will ever be created. But it includes some hidden information:
So you see the adventurer who is on the way to MAGS. Maybe he wants to sign up for the competition, maybe he's on the search for the host... Who knows. Here he's talking to Max and Maggie - you might know the two MAGS mascots. His inventory contains a number of things: a pocket knife, a compass, a pocket lamp, a big blue cup bottle, a multi tool, a shovel and a bag to carry it all around. He's a real adventurer, right!?  8) All these inventory items can be yours - for real! That's the prize for the winner of this month's competition! Reason enough to join the contest!? I hope so.  Become a real adventurer! You probably won't meet Max and Maggie but ... who knows :)

Just as usual:
Please post a download link of your game entry to this thread and also publish a screenshot of the game.
This time you actually have the complete month, 31 days, to create your game! So all entries need to be in by late May 31st.

Not as usual:
5 years as a MAGS host are gone ... a long time ... maybe it's time to hand over the flame of MAGS to someone else now. Don't worry: The contests won't stop right after this month. But if someone out there wants to be the next host please let me know (via PM). Yes, it might be time for me to leave MAGS...

Many greetings to all those to who crossed my way over the last 5 years of MAGS! :)
I hope there will be a lot of entries this time. Good luck to all who join this special MAGS contest!

Leon

Congratulations Klaus! Keep up the great work.  :=

All who participate: good luck. I can't wait to play the entries. I'm sure there will be brilliant pieces of work.
Ultimate Game Solutions - Because there is a solution for everything

Stupot

Hmm.. I've never entered Mags and this might be just the occasion to get something made... shame it's slap bang in my revision period, but I'll see what I can do :-)

magintz

I think it would be fitting for me to say congratulations to Klaus for such a fine job running MAGS for all these years and I hope DGMacphee (the original host and my predecessor) is also glad to see how successful MAGS has been over the years. Let's hope we get another five years and also that we get plenty of entries this month :) I may have to dabble if I can think of anything worthwhile :)

Keep up the good work it's a shame to see Klaus handing over the torch,
Magintz
When I was a little kid we had a sand box. It was a quicksand box. I was an only child... eventually.

magintz

Just to clarify. I'll assume that music is the exception, as usual, to re-using old content rule. I can't compose and would like some tunes in my game.

I have some music from an old PC game I own, would using the music from that game be frowned upon or deemed illegal. I consider it fair usage as I bought the game and I'll be using one maybe two tracks from hundreds and it isn't recognisable what game it is from; no lyrics just music. Any advice on using these?
When I was a little kid we had a sand box. It was a quicksand box. I was an only child... eventually.

Eggie

I think it's important to find out:
Are the entrants allowed to make games about gHOSTS?

Klaus

Quote from: magintz on Sat 02/05/2009 14:42:36
I'll assume that music is the exception, as usual, to re-using old content rule. I can't compose and would like some tunes in my game. ... Any advice on using these?
Free sound effects are allowed but actually I left out that standard line (free music allowed) with intent in hope to see some totally new games! Of course any (legal) music is tolerated - you know MAGS isn't really strict in that case ;) But perhaps you want to ask some other AGS user to offer some music for your game as "you may get help for the competiton"? That's okay and it's always nice to hear some new tunes... How about it?

Quote from: Eggie on Sun 03/05/2009 15:32:07
Are the entrants allowed to make games about gHOSTS?
Sure, but it should not only be a ghost story. In my example (Psycho/Hotel California) I was hoping to see a hotel host at some point. It's no problem if the host's part in the game is not all too prominent :) Okay?

cat

Quote from: Klaus link=topic=37646.msg495273#msg495273
But perhaps you want to ask some other AGS user to offer some music for your game as "you may get help for the competiton"? That's okay and it's always nice to hear some new tunes... How about it?

Ah, ok, that's good. I thought the line "but should try not get anyone else to do any part of the game for you." from the instructions post would not allow that.

Klaus

Quote from: cat on Mon 04/05/2009 09:42:58
I thought the line "but should try not get anyone else to do any part of the game for you." from the instructions post would not allow that.
Well, "should try" does not totally eliminate any possibility of getting help here, so you can go for it :)

Akatosh

Before I go ahead and do something stupid: Is any definition of "host" fine? Or is it strictly limited to, say, meanings one through three?

Also, Herzlichen Glückwunsch indeed... you've been doing a great job. :)

Klaus

Quote from: Akatosh on Mon 04/05/2009 17:13:30
Is any definition of "host" fine?
Any of these definitions is fine although I'd personally prefer a non-computer host. But there really is no need to go for my preferences.

Stupot

The game I'm planning involves a host family. Does this count?

Klaus

Quote from: Stupot on Mon 04/05/2009 19:38:33
The game I'm planning involves a host family. Does this count?
Yes.

Stupot

You could say theres a whole host of possibilities.  ;D

Trent R

I have two possible ideas, but who knows if I'll get around to them..

Also, congratulations Klaus! You've done an excellent with MAGS.

~Trent
To give back to the AGS community, I can get you free, full versions of commercial software. Recently, Paint Shop Pro X, and eXPert PDF Pro 6. Please PM me for details.

Current Project: The Wanderer
On Hold: Hero of the Rune

poc301

Just because... I want to throw out there that my game is 2/3 of the way finished.  This is going to be my first MAGS entry, and I hope 2 things:

1) I hope for a few games so there is competition.
2) I hope people like my game :) hehe

-Bill

Klaus

Just to remind you all: It's about half time for this competition!
Oh, and many thanks for all the congratulations.  :)

Mazoliin

Ishmael

I had a pretty solid seeming idea but I'll be internetless beyond the deadline (until the 2nd of June or so, so it's not just slightly over) so it's very unlikely I could make it. But not impossible.
I used to make games but then I took an IRC in the knee.

<Calin> Ishmael looks awesome all the time
\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

Leon

Congratulations! Solid game. Nice graphics. Good puzzles! Well done. A special worthy...

Two typo's:

Spoiler
When changing the size of the jacket: It's mine size now --> It's my size now.
When looking at the 'cigarette': convinsing --> convincing.
[close]
Ultimate Game Solutions - Because there is a solution for everything

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk