AGS 3.2 Final 5 - Recession-busting edition

Started by Pumaman, Sun 03/05/2009 15:34:47

Previous topic - Next topic

arj0n

CJ, will this be fixed in the new version?:
"Need to move mouse before button functions properly".
I'm currently using v3.1.2 SP1, February 2009.

Thanx.

Pumaman

QuoteAlthough this is not technically a bug it is certainly an annoying quirk of the editor.
If a GUI is very tall (for example if you want to scroll it) the entire gui obviously wont be shown in the editor but there are no scroll bars or anything..
So guis either need to have a maximum height or it needs scroll bars.
QuoteThere is a teeny tiny glitch that happens to me at least once a day and I imagine it happens to a lot of other people as well.  I finally figured out yesterday how to recreate the issue each time, flawlessly.

Thanks for these, however please can you post things like this in a seperate thread.
I'd like to keep this 3.2 release thread for ONLY problems which are specific to AGS 3.2 and that don't affect previous versions.

QuoteWith the latest version of ags, trying to run a .Play() command (I haven't tried the old way) with "No digital sounds" as audio device, causes an Illegal exception.

Thanks for reporting this, I have reproduced it and will fix it.

QuoteThe game crashes with a fatal exception every time at this point.
Line 36 reads "Game.StopAudio ();". From my understanding of the situation, this should stop all audio playing if passed with no parameters, yes?

Thanks, I'll fix this too.

QuoteI'm getting this error.(warning in fact). But it doesn't allow the game to compile, nor does it tell me where the error is, nor there is PlayMusic(25); in any room. I think you've removed the PlayMusic room property thing on the interaction thingy. And perhaps it's set there, and doesn't allow game to compile, and I can't access it to fix it.

Ah, is the message not telling you which room it applies to? I'll fix that.

When AGS 3.2 compiles the game, it goes through all the rooms and if they have a "Play music on room load" set, it tries to convert that by adding a line of script to the Player Enters Room event. So if you had set the room's on-load music to Music 25, but you didn't have a MUSIC25.OGG file in the music folder, you will get this warning.

However, this is only a warning, not an error, and should not stop your game from running.

QuoteThere's a bad error report when you miss the double equals sign with Random, like so:

Hmm, that's not specific to Random, it happens with any function call if you do that. I appreciate it's not a perfect error message, but it's probably not something I'll spend any time changing.

QuoteI was porting this game today from 2.72 to 3.1.2, and well all the variables were ported perfectly, however variables used this way in 2.72:
SetGraphicalVariable("NAME");
or GetGraphicalVariable("NAME");
Weren't ported correctly, and I had to go alll the way and replace them, not much of a job, but totally boring and tedious.

What exactly was the problem? Graphical Variables are such an old concept from AGS 2.x that there probably isn't an easy way of porting them.

QuoteCJ, will this be fixed in the new version?:

That should already be fixed in 3.2.

arj0n

Quote from: Pumaman on Sun 02/05/2010 16:41:44
QuoteCJ, will this be fixed in the new version?:

That should already be fixed in 3.2.
I checked v3.2.0 Final 3 and it seems it is not fixed although the Final 2 change list does mention it should be fixed...

Pumaman

Quote from: [ Arj0n ] on Sun 02/05/2010 17:55:01
I checked v3.2.0 Final 3 and it seems it is not fixed although the Final 2 change list does mention it should be fixed...

Ah, thanks -- it was still broken if you had a Wait() just before setting the Visible=true. This is now fixed.

So, Final 4 is now up, which fixes the reported crashes and a few other issues. Please let me know if you have any problems with this -- as I've said far too many times now, this will become the official 3.2 release if no issues are found over the next week.

Dualnames

Quote from: Pumaman on Sun 02/05/2010 16:41:44
QuoteI was porting this game today from 2.72 to 3.1.2, and well all the variables were ported perfectly, however variables used this way in 2.72:
Weren't ported correctly, and I had to go alll the way and replace them, not much of a job, but totally boring and tedious.

What exactly was the problem? Graphical Variables are such an old concept from AGS 2.x that there probably isn't an easy way of porting them.

I know Graphical Variables are an old concept. However when compiling a game from 2.72 to 3.xx, AGS manages to convert all of them into IntVar_ecc.

Which is great, except for those

Used with those functions. From what I get AGS succesfully converts Graphical Variables into Global variables, placing the import and export thing to the header and global script.

For a reason, some leftovers where there, I've managed to successfully port the game, so no worries, I just thought it'd be nice to mention. That's all.

I know it's an procedure that we are warned that not all will go well, so it's really clear. But in case you feel like fixing this. I know you're a busy man, and this is probably a waste of time.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

arj0n

Quote from: Pumaman on Sun 02/05/2010 20:15:32
Quote from: [ Arj0n ] on Sun 02/05/2010 17:55:01
Ah, thanks -- it was still broken if you had a Wait() just before setting the Visible=true. This is now fixed.

So, Final 4 is now up, which fixes the reported crashes and a few other issues. Please let me know if you have any problems with this -- as I've said far too many times now, this will become the official 3.2 release if no issues are found over the next week.
Yep, I'm using a Wait() before the Visible=True indeed.
Checked the Final 4 version and the problem is fixed.
Thanx :D

magintz

Not sure exactly if this is a bug but I seem to have difficulties using the on_event function to callback an event on game restore. I'm simply trying to output a display message to say the game has been restored but the screen seems to be stuck on black (no fade in after restore).

See here
When I was a little kid we had a sand box. It was a quicksand box. I was an only child... eventually.

monkey0506

The eEventRestoreGame event gets fired before the room in question is actually loaded into memory (and is therefore called even before eEventEnterRoomBeforeFadein). So, no, it's not a bug. It's by design. To display a message to the user you will have to track yourself whether the eEventRestoreGame event has been fired, and display the message from another function (room_AfterFadein, room_RepExec, repeatedly_execute (from a non-room script), etc.).

MurrayL

Hey; I don't know if you are still accepting bug reports for 3.2f4 or anything, but I wanted to let you know while I remembered.

Sometimes when switching around tabs (I usually use ctrl+(shift+)tab) if the mouse is hovering over something when I switch, a tooltip will persist onscreen (usually telling me what a function does). When this occurs, I can sometimes get rid of it by switching back to the script the tooltip is from, but the other day I had one that refused to go away even once I closed every tab - I had to quit AGS and load it back up again to get rid of it.

Sslaxx

Quote from: MurrayL on Tue 11/05/2010 15:17:12
Hey; I don't know if you are still accepting bug reports for 3.2f4 or anything, but I wanted to let you know while I remembered.

Sometimes when switching around tabs (I usually use ctrl+(shift+)tab) if the mouse is hovering over something when I switch, a tooltip will persist onscreen (usually telling me what a function does). When this occurs, I can sometimes get rid of it by switching back to the script the tooltip is from, but the other day I had one that refused to go away even once I closed every tab - I had to quit AGS and load it back up again to get rid of it.
Reported already. http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=37668.msg538358#msg538358
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

MurrayL

Oh, my bad! That'll teach me not to look properly.   :-X

subspark

BUG: Alpha still doesn't work on GUIs. For example alpha blended inventory items.

Cheers,
Sparky.

xenogia

Quote from: subspark on Wed 12/05/2010 12:08:03
BUG: Alpha still doesn't work on GUIs. For example alpha blended inventory items.

Cheers,
Sparky.

Don't think it's been implemented yet, probably not for this thread.

EDIT: On a serious note, just release as is.  And work on all the next bugs and features for the next release IMO.

subspark

Thanks Xenogia, that makes a bit more sense.

Cheers,
Sparky

Pumaman

QuoteI know Graphical Variables are an old concept. However when compiling a game from 2.72 to 3.xx, AGS manages to convert all of them into IntVar_ecc. Which is great, except for those

Ah ok. Yeah, it would be nice for that to happen automatically, but there are so few 2.x games that use GRaphical Variables at this point that it's probably not worth the hassle now.

QuoteOn a serious note, just release as is.  And work on all the next bugs and features for the next release IMO.

Yes, this is my plan. However, there's still an issue with backwards compatiblity with the audio system that I need to investigate; I don't want to release a Final version that has a regression and breaks old games that are still using the old audio commands.

Sslaxx

Quote from: Pumaman on Mon 31/05/2010 18:55:09
QuoteI know Graphical Variables are an old concept. However when compiling a game from 2.72 to 3.xx, AGS manages to convert all of them into IntVar_ecc. Which is great, except for those

Ah ok. Yeah, it would be nice for that to happen automatically, but there are so few 2.x games that use GRaphical Variables at this point that it's probably not worth the hassle now.

QuoteOn a serious note, just release as is.  And work on all the next bugs and features for the next release IMO.

Yes, this is my plan. However, there's still an issue with backwards compatiblity with the audio system that I need to investigate; I don't want to release a Final version that has a regression and breaks old games that are still using the old audio commands.
Any ETA on how long it'll take you to stamp out the regression?
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

Alan v.Drake

Cut down the compatibility (the sooner the better). You've made too many changes to the engine and having to carry on that carrion is forcing you to make bad compromises and working more than necessary.
AGS is finally starting to get good, it would be a real shame having its progress dampened for the sake of compatibility.

- Alan

Calin Leafshade

I agree with Alan.. although I phrase my agreement in a less aggressive fashion.

Dave Gilbert

Quick question and apologies if it was mentioned before in this thread.   I couldn't look through all 20 pages!

Is it me, or are the automatic font outlines less thick than they used to be in previous?  I'm making a 640 x 480 game and the outline is only one pixel thick, which is barely noticeable at all.  Is this a new feature or was it like this all the time and I never noticed? 

Sslaxx

Quote from: Calin Leafshade on Mon 31/05/2010 19:36:00
I agree with Alan.. although I phrase my agreement in a less aggressive fashion.
Have either of you thought there might be other (possibly commercial-related) reasons to retain compatibility?
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk