AGS 3.2 Final 5 - Recession-busting edition

Started by Pumaman, Sun 03/05/2009 15:34:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Pumaman

Quote from: Chrille on Wed 07/04/2010 15:40:57
It still doesn't work. Lousy laptop!

Pity ... looks like your laptop doesn't support any suitable resolutions. You could try turning on the 3x filter in Setup and see if that works.

GarageGothic

CJ, I'm wondering - would it be possible to add a function to the plugin API to override AGS' viewport initialization so that the plugin could take care of all rendering while AGS runs in the background handling the game logic? Seems like that could solve a lot of issues people are having with resolutions and also allow for aspect-ratio independent games.

Also, many thanks for the improved anti-aliased font support!

Electroshokker

I seem to be having a problem with the Object.Move command in a room_RepExec() function.

Bottom line: it doesn't work. Whenever I perform an action on something in the room, however, the move gets executed.

AGS 3.2 Final 2

monkey0506

If the move is non-blocking are you certain that you are providing adequate conditionals to prevent the Object.Move from being called every game loop? Coz if you keep calling it over and over then clearly it won't work.

Pumaman

QuoteCJ, I'm wondering - would it be possible to add a function to the plugin API to override AGS' viewport initialization so that the plugin could take care of all rendering while AGS runs in the background handling the game logic? Seems like that could solve a lot of issues people are having with resolutions and also allow for aspect-ratio independent games.

Possibly, though that could get quite complicated. It's something to think about for future versions.

QuoteI seem to be having a problem with the Object.Move command in a room_RepExec() function.

Bottom line: it doesn't work. Whenever I perform an action on something in the room, however, the move gets executed.

As monkey_05_06 says, you are probably calling Object.Move every game cycle, which means it is continually restarting its move. You need to consider when exactly you want the move to start.

Anyway, Final 3 is now up with a couple of fixes for reported issues. This time I really am planning to make this the official release version, because 3.2 has been in beta for a year now! So if no other issues are found in the next week, this is becoming official :)

Calin Leafshade

Although this is not technically a bug it is certainly an annoying quirk of the editor.

If a GUI is very tall (for example if you want to scroll it) the entire gui obviously wont be shown in the editor but there are no scroll bars or anything..

So guis either need to have a maximum height or it needs scroll bars.

Electroshokker

Quote from: monkey_05_06 on Sun 25/04/2010 13:58:36
If the move is non-blocking are you certain that you are providing adequate conditionals to prevent the Object.Move from being called every game loop? Coz if you keep calling it over and over then clearly it won't work.

Actually, I'm using a timer so it gets called only every 3 seconds or so.

Like I said, the funny thing is that the move does get executed AFTER I click on something, rather then all the time. I'll dig into this some further, though. Maybe there's some other script blocking it.

xenogia

Thanks CJ for that.  Hopefully you can release it as is and you can worry about people's nitpicks and bugfixes for the next release.  Or even another service pack down the track.

Ryan Timothy B

There is a teeny tiny glitch that happens to me at least once a day and I imagine it happens to a lot of other people as well.  I finally figured out yesterday how to recreate the issue each time, flawlessly.

When you hover your mouse over something (before or after the info box pops up) like so:

Then if you move your mouse to the top bar and click on a tab, this happens:

It will cover that area and won't let you click through it.  If you aren't quick enough, the box will appear where it's supposed to but still cover everything when you switch tabs.

The thing is, the damn box is not only opaque, it also steals clicks.  The only way to remove the info box is to unmaximize the application.  Minimizing it will actually have it be there still and it'll cover every other application, until you unminimize it.  Or you can click back onto the original script IF the hover box isn't covering it completely - which will also remove it.

Calin Leafshade

yep ive encountered that several times too.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Yeah, the persistent tooltip thing happens often.

GarageGothic

I think I came across the same issue, or something very similar, but couldn't figure out how to reproduce it - did you guys also have the tooltip appearing as its own entry in the windows task bar?

Alan v.Drake

With the latest version of ags, trying to run a .Play() command (I haven't tried the old way) with "No digital sounds" as audio device, causes an Illegal exception.

Sslaxx

Quote from: Alan v.Drake on Tue 27/04/2010 12:18:40
With the latest version of ags, trying to run a .Play() command (I haven't tried the old way) with "No digital sounds" as audio device, causes an Illegal exception.
Got myself a reproducible error message. The game crashes with a fatal exception every time at this point.

This might be related to Alan v.Drake's sound problems.

Quote from: Illegal ExceptionAn exception 0xC0000005 occurred in ACWIN.EXE at EIP = 0x0043ACAA ; program pointer is +6, ACI version 3.20.1106, gtags (0,40)

AGS cannot continue, this exception was fatal. Please note down the numbers above, remember what you were doing at the time and post the details on the AGS Technical Forum.

in "room2.asc", line 36

Most versions of Windows allow you to press Ctrl+C now to copy this entire message to the clipboard for easy reporting.

An error file CrashInfo.dmp has been created. You may be asked to upload this file when reporting this problem on the AGS Forums. (code 0)

Line 36 reads "Game.StopAudio ();". From my understanding of the situation, this should stop all audio playing if passed with no parameters, yes?

Just to see if one of the Game.StopAudio parameters was the problem, I tried:
Code: ags
  Game.StopAudio (eAudioTypeMusic);
  Game.StopAudio (eAudioTypeAmbientSound);
  Game.StopAudio (eAudioTypeSound);
But this ran as expected.
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

Dualnames

Great changes in the changelog, I'm porting HHGTG to new version, backing up and the rest, since I've just made it more stable that's all!

EDIT: Great idea of the audio cache folder!!

EDIT2:

Unable to find aMusic25 which was set as this room's start music

I'm getting this error.(warning in fact). But it doesn't allow the game to compile, nor does it tell me where the error is, nor there is PlayMusic(25); in any room. I think you've removed the PlayMusic room property thing on the interaction thingy. And perhaps it's set there, and doesn't allow game to compile, and I can't access it to fix it.

EDIT3: However adding a music file named 'aMusic25' fixes everything and the game compiles okay.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Sslaxx

Quote from: Dualnames on Tue 27/04/2010 13:53:03

I'm getting this error.(warning in fact). But it doesn't allow the game to compile, nor does it tell me where the error is, nor there is PlayMusic(25); in any room. I think you've removed the PlayMusic room property thing on the interaction thingy. And perhaps it's set there, and doesn't allow game to compile, and I can't access it to fix it.

EDIT3: However adding a music file named 'aMusic25' fixes everything and the game compiles okay.
Does this music file play anywhere when you compile and run the game?
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

Dualnames

Quote from: Sslaxx on Tue 27/04/2010 16:15:33
Quote from: Dualnames on Tue 27/04/2010 13:53:03

Does this music file play anywhere when you compile and run the game?

Not in script. It probably got stuck on PlayMusicOnLoad property that is now removed.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Ryan Timothy B

There's a bad error report when you miss the double equals sign with Random, like so:

if (Random(3)=1) {
}

It results in the error message:
Quoteexpected semicolon after ')'

Definitely not a horrible issue, just figured I'd mention it.

Creator

Quote from: Ryan Timothy on Fri 30/04/2010 20:57:06
There's a bad error report when you miss the double equals sign with Random, like so:

if (Random(3)=1) {
}

It results in the error message:
Quoteexpected semicolon after ')'

I'm pretty sure you can only use random with a variable.
EG.

int ran1 = Random(3);

if (ran1 == 1)
{
}

May be wrong, so if I am disregard my message.

Never mind. Misread your post.

Dualnames

I was porting this game today from 2.72 to 3.1.2, and well all the variables were ported perfectly, however variables used this way in 2.72:

SetGraphicalVariable("NAME");

or GetGraphicalVariable("NAME");

Weren't ported correctly, and I had to go alll the way and replace them, not much of a job, but totally boring and tedious.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk