Downfall (2009) - now FREE

Started by Grim, Thu 14/05/2009 13:37:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Takyon

Looks promising, could you not host it somewhere else though file planet is a nightmare
ghost.

Takyon

The game just crashed due to a scripting error apparently as I tried to go to the waxworks
ghost.

LRH

I bought the game, so far it's scaring the pants off of me. Lots of fun. However, I have an issue. Once in a while the inventory GUI will not let me select items. Is there a quick fix for this? Am I just doing something stupid?

EDIT: Sorry, sorry. I did the RIGHT thing and read the manual. Fixed it by clicking the right arrow in the inv.

xenogia

In general this game is great, but I think it would have been a lot better if there was more beta testing for bugs.  It's riddled with them and for a commercial game it should have been tested a lot more.

Minimi

I am considering to purchasing this game, though the posts about BUGS are putting me in doubt.

Are the bugs only in the demo, or also in the commercial game? And if so, will you fix this any time soon? and re-release a version without bugs available to previous buyers?

LRH

Quote from: Minimi on Mon 18/05/2009 05:30:30
I am considering to purchasing this game, though the posts about BUGS are putting me in doubt.

Are the bugs only in the demo, or also in the commercial game? And if so, will you fix this any time soon? and re-release a version without bugs available to previous buyers?

Well, I've bought it and played through it. Bugs weren't a problem for me.

Here's my 2 cents on the game.

For me, personally, it was a bit much. It was clever, original, and interesting, but damn, just a bit too much. I don't mind gore and such but there were parts of this that made me frown.
Spoiler
The head in the blender, the cat, and Sophie, to name a few
[close]

It's hard to give a clear-cut opinion on the game when I've got such mixed feelings. From a point of view of a game, it's fantastic. The graphics are VERY well done, the sounds and music perfect, and the story and gameplay were great as well. But what the game actually entailed was just too much for me personally. I suppose all I mean to say is that if you're going to buy the game, make sure you'll be ready for how dark it is, I don't think the demo was clear enough on just how gruesome it would get.

xenogia

Quote from: Domithan on Mon 18/05/2009 07:14:37
Quote from: Minimi on Mon 18/05/2009 05:30:30

Well, I've bought it and played through it. Bugs weren't a problem for me.

Here's my 2 cents on the game.

For me, personally, it was a bit much. It was clever, original, and interesting, but damn, just a bit too much. I don't mind gore and such but there were parts of this that made me frown.
Spoiler
The head in the blender, the cat, and Sophie, to name a few
[close]

It's hard to give a clear-cut opinion on the game when I've got such mixed feelings. From a point of view of a game, it's fantastic. The graphics are VERY well done, the sounds and music perfect, and the story and gameplay were great as well. But what the game actually entailed was just too much for me personally. I suppose all I mean to say is that if you're going to buy the game, make sure you'll be ready for how dark it is, I don't think the demo was clear enough on just how gruesome it would get.

There were warnings on how gruesome the game was, you should have watched the trailer.  That said it all.

LRH

There were warnings on how gruesome the game was, you should have watched the trailer.  That said it all.

I didn't watch the trailer. Fair enough. Didn't know there was one, actually, but this is still my fault. In any case I'm just sharing my opinion.

Edit: Wow *smacks head* right on the first page...wonder how I missed it really >.>

Edit #2: Ya know, after thinking it over, I've actually grown more fond of the game. The story especially was incredible. I guess some of the parts
Spoiler
Sophie, even though I felt terrible for the child one in the game
[close]
weren't even that gore-y. The
Spoiler
head in the blender
[close]
was really all I've got to show for my previous "too much" statements.  All in all I'm glad I bought it :P

Grim

It was my intention from the start to make a scary disturbing game. I love Monkey Island and such, but I felt that was never going to be right choice for me to make a comedy, even though I'd thrown in an occasional joke or two to release the tension. Stephen King's advice for wannabe writers is to write about things they know. Only then they can make the story believable for the audience. I'm not saying that I've cut people with chainsaws and spoke with the undead, but for years I worked in a mental health institution for elderly. There, I have witnessed the true meaning of madness. And after the sun went down it was one damn frightening place. It was notoriously haunted. Big parts of Downfall were made on the laptop during long nightshifts, when the patients were asleep and I had some spare time.

Also, as some of you have probably found out already, there are alternative solutions to some puzzles in the game. There are times when you can totally avoid bloodshed. You mentioned little Sophie- she's just a memory anyway. And she doesn't have to die in pain....

LRH

Quote from: Grim Reaper on Mon 18/05/2009 19:30:45
Also, as some of you have probably found out already, there are alternative solutions to some puzzles in the game. There are times when you can totally avoid bloodshed. You mentioned little Sophie- she's just a memory anyway. And she doesn't have to die in pain....

I'm giving it my second run right now. I'll be a total bastard this time to see what happens, I was a nice guy the first time around
Spoiler
I waited, turned down the receptionist, and turned myself in the first time. I also noticed when I used the blue chemical he said that he thought he had used the 'wrong' one. So I'll do red this time. I hope that's what you meant.
[close]

Anian

Just played the demo. Looks kinda nice, although the area where you can move is usually somewhat vague.

Anyway, when I tryed to move with the keyboard, I went from the area where that house with the locker is to the area on the left, I was pressing arrow on the keyboard and before I knew it, I just saw 6-7 lines of text just fastfoward and I couldn't stop in time and read them...kinda annoying.
I liked the atmosphere, although I had to fight the urge to pull levers and stuff since the character had more sense than me and didn't want to do something that wasn't normal or logical.  ;D

And yeah that part in the trailer with the fat woman being chainsawed - props on going so gore.  8)
I don't want the world, I just want your half

Frodo

So far, it's an excellent game, with some truly terryfying moments.  It's so atmospheric.   ;D

I've not finished it yet, but just wanted to make a few comments.  The game seems to crash randomingly, when you do something 'unexpected' - for example the first scene with Agnes and Vilde - but it's usually fine when you restore your game. 

But I found another serious crash, that no amount of restoring will help.
Spoiler
Mr Harris died in gas explosion on the 3rd floor.  Joe has to go for another lie down, then he returns to 3rd floor.  If he goes left into the birthday room, he immediatly walks over to Crying Sophie, then the game crashes.   :( 
[close]

Apparantly its a scripting error in Room 23 script (line 48)   ???

EDIT
Wow!  Finished the game, and... just wow!  Congrats on making such an amazing game.  Choices at the end are very shocking!  I really enjoyed it.  Song at the end is very beautiful, you have a wonderful voice.   ;D

Now I have to play through again, and make different choices.   :D

LRH

Had to comment on this:

Last night I had a nightmare that:
Spoiler
I was In the cellar and surrounded by the mysterious, very human-like, covered figures under the sheets. Believe it or not, this was what scared me most out of the entire game. My mind kept making up faces for each of them. For some reason, not knowing for sure what was under the sheets made me LITERALLY panic while played the game, and again in my nightmare.
[close]

Kudos for being able to give me a nightmare, they don't stop by very often.

auriond

Oh wow, I've been waiting for this forever. I'm buying it the moment I get home, bugs or no bugs. Though - if you fix the bugs, will early customers get a free bug-free version/patch? :)

Grim

Okay, I will make one more version of the game soon, with few bonus features . Everyone who bought Downfall and would like to receive bug-free version will be sent one ( on request). I'll let you know when it's ready. And of course I apologize for all the bugs once again ( avoiding them is kinda like another puzzle in the game:)

I feel so proud- I gave somebody a nightmare! How great is that?:)

Thanks again for all the feedback! I feel all these years spent making Downfall were not wasted:)

Cyrus

Could you please provide another demo link? When I download the folder from the FilePlanet, the downloader is unable to rename it to the proper format, and the game doesn't launch.

Anian

I'm uploading the demo on mediafire.com, so, if the author don't mind, I'll put a link in this post when it's finished.
I do this not only cause of the game but beacuse I hate fileplanet and all the problems it gives when I try to download something. Fight the power!  8)

EDIT: Here you go everybody: Downfall demo http://www.mediafire.com/?vzmtmzh55eh
@Grim Reaper: Just pm me if you want me to delete this for some reason.
I don't want the world, I just want your half

Grim

I don't mind at all:) I think that's great that you made it easier for everyone! Thanks, man!

Joe

Thanks anian!!! The other link was really annoying.

Congrats Grim, I'm downloading right now.
Copinstar © Oficial Site

Cryxo

After playing the demo, I am considering buying the game. Nice job Grim  ;D!

I only have one question... What were you on when you designed it  :D?!
Currently working on "My Neighbour is a Serial Killer"
with a certain friend of mine called Geork.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk