LucasArts Reveals Monkey Island Return.

Started by Stefano, Mon 01/06/2009 18:44:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Alarconte

Precisely I was beating up MI and MI2 in my Nintendo DS this days, and I was thinking how anybody done yet a remake or enchanced MI game of quality.

For the old players, Remaked MI is going to be another excuse to play the game AGAIN.

Oh my god, clasist and elitish people, take it easy, man. It's only a remake to capture new public... The original game still exists!
People don't will go to your houses to tell about the New game Lucas has invented!

As Guybrush Peepwood will said..." Insignificant remake".
"Tiny pixelated boobies are the heart and soul of Castlevania"

Galactic Battlefare Capital Choice Part 1 , finished, releasing soon
GBF CC Part 2, WIP

m0ds

Aye, but they could concentrate on bigger, better things for their old-school fans, not people who aren't yet fans, like, err, The Dig 2 perhaps? Full Throttle 2? Day of the Tentacle 2 (or 3, however you look at it) ... as I said before, I'm more of a sequels fan. Remakes & episodes have trouble filtering neat and tidy through my fan, if you know what I mean.

Mr Flibble

Ah! There is no emoticon for what I'm feeling!

Igor Hardy

I'm happy about all the new Monkeys. They look good enough for me. So far.

Too bad that due to the remake our Monkey Island Speech Project is rather pointless now. Especially too bad for the actors who recorded hundreds of lines already.

HillBilly

I don't mind the remake since it's built on the same code, and I get a chance to switch between graphics anyway. That haircut is terrible though, and I usually enjoy a good mullet.

The episodic thing I'm not too fond of. I can see it working for Sam & Max since they've been in both comic and saturday morning cartoon-form, but not for Monkey Island. I just don't get the adventure feeling when I have to tune in next week to find out what happens. The choice of making it 3D is probably both cheaper and faster, but it loses the personality it had in the first three games and looks too sterile.

We'll see when it gets here though.

m0ds

OMFG. Not totally related but you know what? When this thread first popped up I thought, "remakes, here we go" and then thought to myself I would be absolutely devestated if they remade certain classic movies I love. One in particular, Arnie's " Total Recall", which I watched a couple of weeks ago. Low and behold:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8080966.stm

That's the final bit of faith in the media I have - drained out of me. I give up. If my career as a film-maker or game-maker is to think, I make a hit and all it has left in it for the future is a remake, and then a remake of a remake, and such...**** it. What's the point. Post-modernism has reached a new low as far as I'm concerned, and these cash-making bandwagons are really doing my head in. There is absolutely nothing about this new MI series that says anything to me other than "we want more money, and so does Ron Gilbert". It's cheeky, crap, and uncessesary. MI was great, yes, but let it burn out into the depths of cultville.

And Ascovel, hehe -- well, to be fair, if they "remake" FoA, I give this all up completely. I'm fed up of commercial companies thinking the only way forward with point & clicks is motha ******* remakes.

Anian

On one hand they want more money, on the other hand I already paid for that content but they didn't give me the quality I deserve in this day and age, so they're making up for it and I'm downloading of a torrent.   :P ;D

Quote from: Mods on Wed 03/06/2009 17:02:54
OMFG. Not totally related but you know what? When this thread first popped up I thought, "remakes, here we go" and then thought to myself I would be absolutely devestated if they remade certain classic movies I love. One in particular, Arnie's " Total Recall", which I watched a couple of weeks ago. Low and behold: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8080966.stm
Hmm, in my opinion Total Recall is one of those films they don't make anymore. Today they take a concept out of a book and dumb it down and change it (you can use any Will Smith movie), but TR has it's atmosphere, action and story and yes I know in some places it looks laughable by today's standards but also everytime I watch it I can't but think - this movie is cool. And another thing - it's memorable with anything from 3-breasted prostitute to robot taxi driver (unlike many other Schwarzeneggers flicks).
Same goes for Blade runner (not that BR isn't a much better movie I'm just metioning another PK Dicks book).
I don't want the world, I just want your half

m0ds

Well that makes sense ;) It's what I do with "remake" movies, as far as I'm concerned a free rip is all they're worth.

As for your later statement, yep I agree. What annoys me most is that often you hear psychologists and even just buffs go on and on about how an audience "relates" to characters, settings, scenes, the storyline and so on. In recent years they've even gone to the lengths to say that we form a "relationship" with certain films, products and stuff. So, like Total Recall, or even MI for that matter - they DO seem like an "old friend" to me. But they're an old friend that's currently dead. And as far as I know exhuming the dead isn't exactly a popular franchise in the real world. Some things are better left un-touched. And I also don't understand why people feel everything needs to be modernised. TR for example is a great example of how, when it was made, the graphics, CG and stuff were amazing. Of course it won't look like that today, and it shouldn't. It should continue to just stand for something it meant/created when it was created.

Just like the MI page for the SE, where it says something like, with graphics you could never have imagined! And that strikes me as a bit stupid - because that's what your imagination is FOR. Filling in these gaps, gaps that, with products with huge success, obviously need never be filled. And to be honest, the new graphics aren't that great. Well, I'm officially angry about all this remake stuff now - so it's time to go and get drunk :P

Anian

Movie will probably be changed and made PG13 (thank you liberal America  :P) just to sell more tickets (which is what they did with Wolverine and T4 and I am legend etc.) ruined everything.
But I guess, the remake of a game is a personal opinion, I like voices in games and although I loved the original game, I'll give this a try. I'm not that emotinally attached to those "old" games, which might be the case with a lot of people here so to each his own, I say.  :)
I don't want the world, I just want your half

Eggie

I'd like to officially state that I think these guys look awesome:

So yeah, statement retracted before it becomes shorthand for 'ill-informed graphics analogies' in this forum.

Alarconte

I'm sure if if one day I want to my girlfrind play this epic adventure game, she will be more pleased to play with this graphics, than the originals; And that is a Good Thing.

And I will congratulate Lucas, or EA, or the hell they are, for making play good games to more people!

GBF CC Part 2, WIP

DanielH

I don't know what to say....

I still remember my brother buying CMI and saying it will be the last game...I was devastated. No more monkey island?

I remember EMI being released. I, unlike many, liked it. It was my least favourite MI, but I still liked it.

I waited for Monkey Island 5. Every few months since I got broadband, I've checked the Monkey Island Fansites, for news, and more recently, began to notice them closing down due to lack of interest. They were giving up hope. I was, too. Not long ago, I resigned myself to the fact that Monkey Island is over. Now this...wow.

I'll probably buy SMI SE out of sheer fanboy-ism, and I'll definitly buy Tales, because of how great the Adventure Gamers review made it out to be.

As far as the Special edition's art goes, Guybrush looks ridiculous. On the other hand, I think Elaine looks great (See here for a good shot of them both- http://www.adventuregamers.com/images/db/10134.jpg), and the backgrounds stay really true to the originals. Overall, I think it's a pretty good job.

Both games look promising, so fingers crossed.

Bulbapuck

Huw Dawson

The still images bother me in SoMI. The new repainted images make that problem less so.

I think that SoMI voice-addition thing will still be worthwhile, as I don't believe there's a way to run through the "old game" with the new music and voices...

- Huw
Post created from the twisted mind of Huw Dawson.
Not suitible for under-3's due to small parts.
Contents may vary.

monkey0506

Quote from: DanielH on Wed 03/06/2009 21:04:16(See here for a good shot of them both- http://www.adventuregamers.com/images/db/10134.jpg)

With regard to this I'd actually say they both look very nice...except Guybrush's hair. I cannot possibly be meant to take that seriously. But I actually find it humorous. I understand a lot of people will take one look at it and...

FFFFUUUUUU--

Edit:
Dedicated to all the haters...

...as for me, I take the series very seriously. Though I'd like to think I'm not that cynical that I can't accept his new hair for what it is and LMFAO every single time I see it. :P

lo_res_man

Oh gods, oh gods! ;D
Am I dead? Is this heaven?
Or is this hell as my computer couldn't run a single frame of it?
Oh well, time to saves up the cash.
And gets a job.
†Å"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge.†
The Restroom Wall

miguel

Although I'm excited with both new releases, I'm not so sure about those 3D graphics. The sketches of Elaine and Le Chuck look much better than the full finished Guybrush. But I thought the lab interior was well done.
My opinion is that Adventure games should stay at fine drawn graphics (pixel art or not) and skip 3D, or else do something with the quality of a Pixar cartoon, to stay in the middle is just a bad option to me.
Anyway, I'll be playing those games and looking forward to be surprised.   
Working on a RON game!!!!!

Dualnames

I was about to say it will suck.. WHY?

IT WON'T!!!! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD AND ALL, I'VE WAITED THIS FOR ALMOST 10 YEARS...AND AT LAST IT HAS COME. A MI GAME.

THANK YOU!!!!! ;D
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Bluke4x4

This is going to be good. The remake's graphics are kind of iffy for me, but it's cool that they have the switch option..

Honestly, I see nothing wrong with the new games. Call me an optimist, I guess.

Alarconte

About the 3d graphics in adventure games, I think they have a good job in games like Grim fandango (a little outdate today), Broken Sword 3 or Dreamfall (and sure others than I don't know). The problem with 3d games is that the producers put more money in graphic designers than in scripters, programmers, and puzzle creators. But this is a situation fixeable by coherent gamemakers.

GBF CC Part 2, WIP

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk