Launching .exe from a shortcut crashes just after bootup

Started by thezombiecow, Sun 21/06/2009 16:36:17

Previous topic - Next topic

thezombiecow

I've used InnoSetup to package up my game.

If the .exe in /Program Files/GameDir is double clicked, it runs fine.

If the shortcut generated by InnoSetup is used, the game boots up but crashes on (seemingly) the first blocking event. A custom shortcut has the same effect.

---------------------------
Illegal exception
---------------------------
An exception 0xC0000005 occurred in ACWIN.EXE at EIP = 0x65B935DE ; program pointer is +5, ACI version 3.12.1074, gtags (0,100)

No crashdump is generated.

Just wondering if anyone can shed some light on this, while I struggle with it this end.

??

Gilbert

thezombiecow

Not quite sure what you mean - but actually on further investigation, it's obviously something InnoSetup's doing  - if I use AdvancedInstaller it packages up fine.

The Innosetup versions got more and more tempramental the more I fiddled with them (to the degree that not even a double-click would launch it).

So, is there something in the way that InnoSetup is compressing the files that AGS disagrees with, maybe?

Gilbert

I meant the shortcut file on the desktop or whereever it was created by Innosetup. Didn't you mentioned the problem only appear when the shortcut created by Innosetup is used?

thezombiecow

QuoteI meant the shortcut file on the desktop or whereever it was created by Innosetup. Didn't you mentioned the problem only appear when the shortcut created by Innosetup is used?

Yeah, this is exactly what's happening. Double-click is fine, a shortcut to the .exe generated by the installer causes a crash on the first instance of Wait(20);

I'm not sure what you can get out of it, really, but the shortcut's here.

Any help would be much appreciated...

EDIT: Also, if I copy-paste that shortcut to the desktop, I get a CrashInfo, which is here.

EDIT: aha! By comparing and contrasting two shortcut links, it seems that adding Start In: "C:\Program Files\Time Gentlemen, Please!" to the generated link means it runs swimmingly.

EDIT: as such, this is clearly nothing to do with AGS, sorry and thaaaaaaanks!

Pumaman

Well, AGS shouldn't crash because of this so I'd still like to investigate it. I tried to download that crash dump file but got a 404, is the link correct?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk