A twist at the end

Started by tzachs, Thu 25/06/2009 20:38:58

Previous topic - Next topic

tzachs

Hello to all!
This is my first game with AGS, and as an adventure game lover, it is needless to say that I am pretty excited about this game :D
I feel that this game is now mature enough for the production thread to start, so let's begin with...

Story

You play as Chad Montgomery Twist, the wealthy owner of the 'Blue Cup Inn', the fanciest hotel in town.

Well, that's what Chad claims, but it's not entirely accurate...
When he says 'wealthy' he actually means poor, when he says 'owner' he actually means janitor,
and when he says 'the fanciest hotel in town', he actually means- well, it is the fanciest hotel in town, but only because it's the only hotel in town (it's a very small town...).

Our story, like a lot of good (and bad) stories, begins with a beatiful woman...
When Chad sees her and her father checking in, he immediately falls for her, and being the romantic guy that he is, he sends them to the best room in the hotel.

What makes it the best room, you may ask?
Well, simply put, this room has a little hole in the wall that only Chad knows about and it's obviously not the first time he sent girls to that specific room...
But when Chad looks into the hole, hoping to see some skin, he sees a note being slipped underneath her door.
When the girl reads the note, she screams and runs out of the room in panic, leaving a shocked (and disappointed) Chad...

The plot thickens when the hotel owner (the real one) calls Chad to say that the girl is missing and that her father suspects that she was kidnapped from the room.

Chad obviously knows it's not true, but he can't say anything about it...
And so he starts his investigation which will lead him into unknown territories where he will have to show bravery for the first time in his life, stare evil in the eyes without blinking, and, of course, reveal the largest secret of all:

Is there a twist at the end of this game?

Screenshots (Click to enlarge)

Features

• Intriguing and twisted plot (pun intended)...
  • Original soundtrack
  • Classic DOTT style gui (using proskitos' template)
  • Dialog system the combines classic selection based conversation together with parser based questions (hard to explain, you'll understand when you'll play it)
  • Conditional puzzles based on your selections in the game
  • This will not be one of the easiest games to play, some of the puzzles won't be solved using the 'everything on everything' approach and you will have to use your brain...
  • Several different endings...

Progress

-Story  70%
    -Puzzles 46.5%
    -Scripting 30%
    -Graphics 30%
    -Music&Sound 20%
    -Voice Acting 0%

Ok, that's about it, so what do you think?
    Comments of any kind are welcomed (at least by me)...

Atelier

Wowee. This is good for a first game, and it sounds like a very good plot indeed. Just a question: what dimensions does it run at? The enlarged pictures wouldn't be supported by any of the available dimensions, or is it just me? Anyway, I expect you'll end up with a game as good as it sounds! :)

tzachs

Quote from: AtelierGames on Thu 25/06/2009 20:52:41
Wowee. This is good for a first game, and it sounds like a very good plot indeed. Just a question: what dimensions does it run at? The enlarged pictures wouldn't be supported by any of the available dimensions, or is it just me? Anyway, I expect you'll end up with a game as good as it sounds! :)

Thanks! It means a lot, and 'Wowee' is definitely a good word  :)
The game runs at 640x480, and I'm not quite sure (since I took the screenshots about a week ago), but there's a chance that I resized the pictues before posting, so that might explain your confusion...

Grim

Interesting.... Games about hotels are kinda my thing:) Looking forward to this one!

Frodo

This game seems very interesting.  And I love your graphics - the characters seem almost 3D somehow. 

This being your first game makes it all the more impressive.  Excellent work.   :D

I'm looking forward to playing this one.   ;)

tzachs

Quote from: Grim Reaper on Thu 25/06/2009 22:23:28
Interesting.... Games about hotels are kinda my thing:) Looking forward to this one!

Thanks Grim! Just curious though, what games do you know that are about hotels? I know games that have a hotel in them, but I was kind of hoping that I was the first... Oh well  :-\

Quote from: Frodo on Fri 26/06/2009 08:35:48
This game seems very interesting.  And I love your graphics - the characters seem almost 3D somehow. 

This being your first game makes it all the more impressive.  Excellent work.   :D

I'm looking forward to playing this one.   ;)

Thanks Frodo, I really like the characters too although I can't take credit for them, I'm taking them from a website (and they are 3D  ;D) ...

Paoul

Wow. Very interesting plot....
This looks quite promising. I'll be playing :)

Takyon

Looks good, how did you get the 3D characters to work in AGS?
ghost.

tzachs

Quote from: paoul on Fri 26/06/2009 16:24:23
Wow. Very interesting plot....
This looks quite promising. I'll be playing :)

Thanks  paoul :)

Quote from: JJ on Fri 26/06/2009 16:29:10
Looks good, how did you get the 3D characters to work in AGS?

And thank you too JJ!
About your question, I took the 3D characters, positioned them in my desired angle with the desired animation, captured a video of them and then extracted images from the video, cleaned and edited the images to get exactly what I wanted, and then created the view in AGS. It's a bit tedious, but it turns out nice, I think..

By the way, I created a small software to extract the images from the video. Basically, because the avi file contains too much frames I needed an easy way to extract only the frames that advance the animation a reasonable amount and that's what the software does. I didn't post it anywhere because I didn't see much use to it other than to handle my specific scenario, but if somebody here wants it, I will gladly distribute it (maybe even create a plugin for AGS if there will be demand)...

Grim

Quote from: tzachs on Fri 26/06/2009 14:20:09

Thanks Grim! Just curious though, what games do you know that are about hotels? I know games that have a hotel in them, but I was kind of hoping that I was the first... Oh well  :-

Ha ha! There's one I heard of:

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=37767.0

tzachs

Quote from: Grim Reaper on Sun 28/06/2009 17:12:13
Quote from: tzachs on Fri 26/06/2009 14:20:09

Thanks Grim! Just curious though, what games do you know that are about hotels? I know games that have a hotel in them, but I was kind of hoping that I was the first... Oh well  :-

Ha ha! There's one I heard of:

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=37767.0

lol !! You do like hotel games, don't you?  ;)
I saw the trailer, and it looks really really interesting with great atmosphere... I'll play the demo when my girlfriend won't be near me (she'll have nightmares...) and I'll write in your thread.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk