Mittens IX pre-planning

Started by Disco, Sun 12/07/2009 05:54:30

Previous topic - Next topic

monkey0506

Regardless of where it's at my entire pre-planning can be summed up as follows:

I am going.

Of course that being for the Nth year running I've said that it's a possibility... :D ...I would really, really, really like to go. And every year it does actually get increasingly likely that I shall be able to attend. That is, my ability to attend is directly proportional to the year in question. The only question then remaining is...what exactly is the proportion???

jetxl

I vote Italy and I like Nacho as host, since it's his job and all.

But I think we shouldn't vote but decide based on price v. amount of people it can house v. luxury.
After a few minutes of searching I found that there are indeed castles for rent in Netherland, but they don't like to give away the price (maybe because it'll knock you off you chair???), while renting a castle in Italy is like renting a car...

Privateer Puddin'

Quote from: jetxl on Sat 18/07/2009 07:39:37
while renting a castle in Italy is like renting a car...

A very dangerous thing to do because Italian drivers are crazy?

Nacho

I don' t wanna host, but I will definitelly make a search and do a little profile with touristic places to visit, and I will print a dossier for anyone wanting to join the adventurers in those excursions...  :)
Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

m0ds

Ahh well good to see this has come back around & luckily self moderated itself :P It seems it's swinging back round to Holland, so I agree with those who said look at places and prices for both locations. I'm personally in agreement with Mills, I do Mittens for the hanging out rather than the sight-seeing, but I guess it's just a matter of personal taste. For example, there's nothing in Holland I'd want to re-visit. You seen one art gallery, you've seen them all. One shoe factory, ditto... The only tourist thing left there is to visit the Heineken museum, literally the only place in Amsterdam I haven't been. So Holland, would for me, be max hanging out on site and minimal going to look at stuff, but I know Italy would be different. Although I'd be more than happy to hang out and not go see some famous stuff, I'd still have too. And I'm sure Mills would find himself standing up slowly & heading slowly toward a car & then peering from a car window at some tourist stuff before getting out slowly and walking slowly down a street to slowly take some fascinating stuff in before slowly returning to Mittens HQ and slowly getting drunk...

Anyway, that's all personal taste into location information. Back to getting positive & constructive about this. I'm pretty sure this is only the second time in Mittens history that it hasn't been officially decided at previous event. At Mittens it needs to be imperative that everyone gets together, as one large group, and decides so as never to have to suffer this wonderous banter from Farlander & Darth Mandarb ever again... :P

Also, as suggested by jet & others, lets all have a look at Holland accomodations and Italian ones - help each other out, we can even make a list of places people want to go/see and have that with us in advance, rather than not knowing where or what to do at actual Mittens (and yes, that does happen :P) ! I'll do some searching thru the week.

I really just wanted to say "Hey, keep this thread on topic!" but hey....you finally are again now :P And really the only other thing I wanted to say was if we go to Italy, I will def. make another BJ film! But no, not in Holland. In Holland I will try and create a time machine and go back and destroy Rotterdam & Rome to make sure I never hear that song about places that could be rotterdam or rome. :P

Nacho

Actually, Mark, the group of people who was there when we decided it was Holland was bigger than ever... At least, bigger than when we decided we were going to Spain or Miami.

If the rest of the people was outside eating falafel it's not our fault.. :) Maybe if they warned the others that a significant group of people was going to go outside for dinner there could have been more people together, but they didn' t.  ^_^ 0:)

Becky

Hey, I went out to eat falafel and still spoke to people about Holland! :P It happened on many occasions throughout the week.

Layabout

Quote from: Nacho on Sat 18/07/2009 17:06:49
Actually, Mark, the group of people who was there when we decided it was Holland was bigger than ever... At least, bigger than when we decided we were going to Spain or Miami.

If the rest of the people was outside eating falafel it's not our fault.. :) Maybe if they warned the others that a significant group of people was going to go outside for dinner there could have been more people together, but they didn' t.  ^_^ 0:)

Miami was decided in a similar thread to this two years ago, just after Canada mitteners in one car decided it would be France. Fran did not know this at the time, so offered to host it. Instead we had France, then we had Miami. This seems to be history repeating itself. Like I said, my vote is for Italy, and anyway, there is always the oppourtunity to sightsee after mittens and have mittens as a mitteny type thing. In a haunted castle. Chateaus don't count as castles AGA. Too french and not castley enough.
I am Jean-Pierre.

m0ds

QuoteIn a haunted castle. Chateaus don't count as castles AGA. Too french and not castley enough.

Haha yeah! I'd definitely go to Mittens even if it was in Slough if it meant an actual haunted castle with turret things!

Nacho

Layabout

Lets have Mittens on the Moon.
I am Jean-Pierre.

zabnat

Quote from: Layabout on Fri 24/07/2009 03:11:32
Lets have Mittens on the Moon.
And the cost of travel and accommodation will drop off those cheapskates we don't want to see anyway?

Wesray

I am definitely interested in attending the next Mittens, would be my first.

The Italian border is half an hour from were I live and the Netherlands are not that hard to reach either, so both options would be fine with me. I have been in the Tuscany before, it's a really beautiful region. The Netherlands I haven't visited yet, but I've wanted to go there for some time now.

If it's the moon, I have to pass though! Not that I'm cheap, but zero-G isn't my thing... ;D
THE FAR CORNERS OF THE WORLD: Chapter 2 currrently in the works...

FruitTree

there's 1/6th G on the moon!
and how could that NOT be your thing?! :P

AGA

Just think of the trampoline tricks you could do in that environment.

Pumaman

Quote from: Nacho on Thu 23/07/2009 21:15:05
So... where do we go?

Every year after Mittens we have a big excited thread about next year's Mttens.

And every year we then forget about it and pick it up again in January when people actually have a better idea of what else they're going to be doing in the summer :)

Pesty

If you're really antsy, do what I suggested and start scoping spaces, sirs. Holland, Italy, the Moon, wherever! CJ's right, though, we don't really seriously start thinking about it until like January, when it's a bit more realistic to plan.

Don't worry, guys, it really doesn't matter where we're at. We're adventure gamers. We can make any place fun.
ACHTUNG FRANZ: Enjoy it with copper wine!

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes. - Douglas Adams

Peder 🚀

Lets have it in the north instead! All the way on top of Norway for example :P.

Joke aside, Italy sounds more tempting to me, but I would be interested in coming no matter where it is!
Hopefully I will be able to attend my first mittens in 2010! ^^.

Also to be an idiot and bring up something youve all forgot long time ago, when did Bicilotti show any sign of being like this?

Quote from: Nacho on Wed 15/07/2009 22:09:11
"mittens... close to me? I wanna go! I wanna organise it!!! I love mittens!!!11!!! I LOVE IT!!!".

Or were you just being sarcastic? :-\

I really think if it end up being Italy that Bicilotti would make an excellent organizer!
Besides, as it was mentioned it would be good anyway to actually have a LOCAL help with the organizing.

Anyway, I am hoping I'll be able to come!
After a good (though unfortnatly VERY short :() experience at Brittens this is something I'd really like to be able to attend!

zabnat

Quote from: Peder Johnsen on Wed 05/08/2009 12:13:48
Lets have it in the north instead! All the way on top of Norway for example :P.
Yes, Let's all go to the Svalbard to have a meet. Could be interesting. :D
Quote from: Peder Johnsen on Wed 05/08/2009 12:13:48
I really think if it end up being Italy that Bicilotti would make an excellent organizer!
Besides, as it was mentioned it would be good anyway to actually have a LOCAL help with the organizing.
I agree, if not organizing the whole event I think local help will be very welcome. I've been to Italy and even in a place where there are a lots of tourists, not everyone spoke english, even at the professions or places you would expect. I was hoping to go to mittens this year, but it being in other side of the pond and me being laid off, well... So maybe this year will be closer, maybe I could even drive there (well I couldn't drive to Svalbard since I don't own a boat...). ;)

Layabout

Australia is great. They speak english, even in winter it's 20 Celcius during the day and we have big things like the big pinapple, the big sheep, the big banana. :p
I am Jean-Pierre.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk