A G-G-Ghost! *UPDATED 7-14-09*

Started by SpastikChuwawa, Tue 14/07/2009 03:54:23

Previous topic - Next topic

SpastikChuwawa

After several weeks of work, I'm proud to present my first proper AGS game, and hopefully not my last, A G-G-Ghost!

Your name is Doug McBlandface. You're out for blood. Ghost blood, that is. Your father was killed by a no-good ghost you've dubbed as simply The Ghost That Killed Your Father. After a long journey (and several ill-fated love interests) you've finally found the hideout of this son-of-a-ghoul. But is there MORE THAN MEETS THE EYE? Robots in disguise?

Oh mah lawd, what's that 'round the bend?

A G-G-Ghost! is a point-and-click adventure game where you get to point at things, AND click them, too. You also get to 'splore a Haunted House and read a bunch of text. Sometimes you'll find some crap and combine it with other crap to make brand new crap. It's a serious game for serious people. A G-G-Ghost! even features a revolutionary soap-eating feature:

Mmmmphgh

UPDATE 7-14-09: Fixed the tutorial at the beginning (it said right-click was for verbcoin, left was for inventory. It's really the other way around). I also kept the file name as "verbcoin.exe so that the setup feature will work properly.

Download .zip file (11.4 MB) Version 1.0.2

I hope you guys enjoy it, and lemme know if I should quit while I'm ahead.

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/games.php?category=&action=detail&id=1187

The Suitor

Great game so far, and  I love the graphics!

Just one thing, I can't open the winsetup it say's: Cannot load "verbcoin.exe"

I'm guessing you renamed the exe or something, I'd like to play it in a bigger window  ;)

SpastikChuwawa

Thanks! Glad you're enjoying it. :]

Hmm, renaming the file back to "verbcoin.exe" should do the trick. Sorry about that.

Leon

Looking good! I'll tell you more when I've finished the game.

[update]
Wow, good level of puzzles and story. Great fun seeing the conversations between the narrator and the main character. Nice sound effects and humor. But the 'sudden death' is a bit too much for me. I'd like to see a 'retry' or possibility to restore instead of starting the whole game again.

Btw, debug is still on.
Ultimate Game Solutions - Because there is a solution for everything

Snake

I agree with Leon. It would have been nice to know that I could have died. You expect it in 5days/7days, but I never thought I would actually die in this. It definately does not have that feeling to it.

But anyway, this game is exactly what I've been looking for! Almost every day I visit this forum looking for something like this. You don't find many "AGS games of old" any more. I'm loving it! I must say, I LOVE how his facial expressions change with his emotions.

I'd love to see an update or a sequel! Honestly, I haven't enjoyed an AGS game like this since, This Game.

I'll reply again when I complete it. Haven't got the time right now.
Grim: "You're making me want to quit smoking... stop it!;)"
miguel: "I second Grim, stop this nonsense! I love my cigarettes!"

SpastikChuwawa

I agree the sudden death was maybe a bit too cruel. As a side note, 5Days was the game that inspired that particular puzzle. (I always thought it was funny how you can knock out a hulking psycho killer by tripping him with a rug.)

Hah, This Game had the type of feel I wanted my game to have: short, but challenging, and not too serious. I think that's where I got the blender idea from, too.

I have an idea for a sequel, but I probably won't get started on it till I work on some other projects.

Galen

Quote from: SpastikChuwawa on Tue 14/07/2009 03:54:23

Oh mah lawd, what's that 'round the bend?
Oh man, I'll be having nightmares all week! :P

Vukul

Just completed it.
Nicely woven story... with some unexpected twist in the end :-)

I really liked witty remarks and conversations between narrator and player character.
The Strange Cloaked Man was also an awesome person (he lacked still some cliched "Welcome, stranger!" feature ;-) ).
And, very nice reference to 5DAS.

But it also got sometimes annoying, because there were too few interactions.
You know, I - as a player - expect some wtticism clicking different objects with different actions...
and get nothing. Not a word.
So I must think that a lot of jokes were not realised.

Waiting for update or sequel! :-)
(which prominent person will go for the World Domination next?)

Leon

Very well done. I think I had the biggest problem with the fact that the objects you needed to use didn't have a clear mark where to use them.
Spoiler
I had to try the banana peel several times because I wasn't sure where to put it. There's no clear mark on the position in the hall to use it on and the point on the peel itself isn't clear. Then when you fail the game abruptly ends (which annoyed me the most).
[close]
Time for expansion? Clearly there are a lot of things unused in the game.

Spoiler
The vase, the carpet, the spider...
[close]
But overall I enjoyed the game very much! Hope to see a new one soon.
Ultimate Game Solutions - Because there is a solution for everything

SpastikChuwawa

Very good points. You're right about there not being enough interactions - when the game was nearing completion I was ready to get it out there, and didn't spend more time adding interactions. I'll definitely remedy this in the next game (or if I make a new update).

As for the spider, it was just a goofy joke that wasn't meant to be integral to gameplay. Originally, you'd find the spider's cave after a long item-hunting sidequest, and it turns out to just be a red herring. The vase was just pointless vandalism. :]

(Hmm, I have a few ideas. ;])

Puddleglum

I really enjoyed this game!! Lots of funny parts.. although that could be cause I'm a child of the INTERNETZ.
But in all Srznezz:

Really loved the graphics, reminded me of 5 Days (which is a very good thing), and the animations were well done. I didn't mind all of the text because it was so amusing. Totally saw that ending coming (hehe, kidding). My only beef would be, as others mentioned, the lack of interaction with some objects but I can understand you wanting to get it out there, and I'm sure glad you did!!
Congratulations and HURRY UP AND MAKE ANOTHER ONE!! ;D  :=

robvalue

That was awesome fun, thanks! Really enjoyed it, great stuff :)

robvalue

Quote from: Puddleglum on Fri 17/07/2009 01:04:24
Congratulations and HURRY UP AND MAKE ANOTHER ONE!! ;D  :=

I second that, would love to see more games from you.

I couldn't find the game in the main database? Maybe you could add it so that we could give it ratings? Thanks!

SpastikChuwawa

This is pretty n00bish, but I couldn't find how to add a game to the Games page anywhere. It's probably pretty obvious, but alas.

SpastikChuwawa

Sorry for the double post, but I finally found a way to submit the game (of course it was in tiny print on the bottom of the games page...*cough*). Have at it:

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/games.php?category=&action=detail&id=1187

Dualnames

Game is rather good, I'd say, the writting and the graphics are good, but there's some serious lack of interaction answers.

I'd really loved the writting, got some good laughs, but I felt like some puzzles didn't need to be put for the sake of puzzles. That's how I felt.

Also if you die by Yahtzee thing the game quits, which I also found as a wrong idea. It bugs the player (that's why)

I rate the game to a 7.5/10 but if you just could fix those it would really make it way better and give a more polished feel.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

F1ak3r

Hilarious! I nearly died when
Spoiler
that John DeFoe expy suddenly appeared, when the player character knocked that grandfather clock for no apparent reason, when the dialogue portrait suddenly grew a moustache, when looking at the broken mirror in the bathroom, etc...
[close]

As others above have said, this game really suffers from lack of interactions. Also, I think it would really have been awesome if the player had actually picked up the broken vase pieces, because that seemed to be where the (hilarious) interaction dialogue for that was going.

Also, it'd be nice if that verbcoin GUI would materialize a little closer to the cursor, as it was irritating to have to move my cursor so much to use it.

This probably goes without saying, but in addition to more interaction dialogue for ready-existing hotspots, there should also be more hotspots. For example, I *really* wanted to be able to interact with those paintings in the Maybe-Rebbeca room.

SuperDre

Just finished it, and I must say I loved the graphix and the story.. And yes just like others say, the lack of interaction was a bit frustrating, maybe next time only show the 'actions' that are possible or make sure some text is shown..
Hope to see a new adventure soon..

Mordalles

yes, i finished it, and just had to come and say what a great job you did! this was really funny, with some really cool moments (especialy the mirror one, that was great). and liked the character art and atmosphere as well.  ;)

"It's a fairy! She's naked! Curse these low-res graphics!" - Duty and Beyond

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk