Old thread from Adventure Related Talk & Chat

Started by Peder 🚀, Fri 14/08/2009 21:15:30

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan Timothy B

Alright, curious question then, what happens if someone uploads a game.  Then after a few weeks/months of people playing it and discovering bugs, what happens to the old version when they upload the newer one?  Will the old version stay on the server hogging up space?  Or will it delete the old version? 

If it deletes the old version, what happens if the new version was a blank/fake file so they could use that to 'delete' their game?

QuoteI will also make it possible to upload several game files so if you want to keep the old versions too you can.
Actually I just noticed this.  What happens if the blank/fake file was uploaded and they chose to delete the 'older' version.

So you'll definitely need to give the user the ability to 'hide' the game from the public, or they'll find ways to remove it.

Peder 🚀

Quote from: Ryan Timothy on Mon 09/11/2009 22:03:38
What happens if the blank/fake file was uploaded and they chose to delete the 'older' version.

So you'll definitely need to give the user the ability to 'hide' the game from the public, or they'll find ways to remove it.

Anything the user does needs to be accepted by me (or any other person that might end up working with me on it).
The point with allowing more files uploaded is to avoid uploading over the file that is active, and giving people who might be downloading at that moment broken files. and the fact, people might just want to upload a patch instead of the full game all over again!

The user will never be able to do an action and the action being performed straight away.
All admins (if more than me) will have a control panel that will show any requests made by users, either a new game, new file etc.

If someone upload a file, we have to test to see if it works how it should.
As we dont want to put out a broken file for download!

So if someone try to upload a blank to replace the old we will know..
But eitherway. I thought of some ideas about this "issue" :).

I was thinking that authors can ask to have their game "disabled" which will give the game title in the games list a special color. And then people who REALLY wants it badly, can send a request to get a download link.
I could also stretch it further and make it only possible to request the link if they register as a user and have earned a specific amount of points. (for rating etc).
But it would make only people who really want it go through the steps, and I not sure if its any point to make it that hard to get a game an author has "disabled".

I do understand very clearly the issue about it, so Ill definatly make sure in the end there is a good system for it!
But the games will never be deleted from the database!

What do you guys think about these rough ideas? :)

bicilotti

Quote from: Peder Johnsen on Mon 09/11/2009 22:24:55
What do you guys think about these rough ideas? :)

I think the solution you have outlined is fair for you and the devs. Go for it!

TerranRich

Damn, Peder. So far your project is nearly identical to the one I had in mind. With that said, I'm no longer working on my AGSDb (IMDb for AGS) website, so I'll give you some suggestions that my own idea would've implemented.

First off, user-submitted reviews. The main AGS Games page is filled with "Great game! :)" or something similarly short, and nothing more. There could be an option for users to write up full reviews for games.

Also, each games page could feature a development/other news blog maintained by the creator, so it's more like a mini-site than just a listing.

Just some thoughts. Might as well put those ideas to good use if I won't use them myself. :)

Peder 🚀

I like the development/other news blog idea :).
I've allready done this for one of my other sites, though its non AGS related :P.

Let me know if your interested in maybe joining in when the final system is ready! ^^.

Leon

I'd say you shouldn't make it too massive at first. Although you need a good base, the project might become too vast. Why not start with the basics, just the listings and completeness of the basic data. You can always expand and add features in the future. If you stay with it too long, you'll never launch and the interest gets lost.

Just start with the basic listings etc. When you're live, you'll get suggestions and ideas on the go and can implement them later. ImDB also wasn't built in one day. When you look at how they started...  :)

As for the versions and games, you need to rename them yourself and give them version names in the filename. If you depend on the author, they all have the same name and get overwritten. Having an administrator adding the games would be more appropriate except it might keep authors from submitting because they don't see immediate result. Unless... you let them make a temp entry themselves that is marked as 'needs moderation' and then gets updated by the administrator.

Then the question surfaces how the author links to the gamefile if it's being renamed by the administrator...  ::)

I think you should separate the two. Right now you're aiming to be a flexible provider for everyone but on the other side you want to be an archive that needs moderation and administration. I see a lot of challenges and hard work here.

I see a lot of people in the AGS community working on similar projects. Why not let others do the reviews, ratings, news etc. Just focus on what it says on the pack: agsarchives.com. Create a repository with files, versions and info about that. In phase 2 you can always see if you can merge with another site/database that holds reviews, documents etc..

Just my thoughts...
Ultimate Game Solutions - Because there is a solution for everything

TerranRich

That's a very good point, Leon, and something that I as a web developer tend to ignore all too easily. Start small, then add features as the site grows.

And Peder, I would love to help with any coding issues or problems that arise once the site goes beta or is launched. :)

Joseph DiPerla

Well, I dont know if you guys think this would be good, but what if we got together to work on a site. I sent you guys PM's. Seperating the load can lead to a faster design and better content. Pedar, Leon, Terran, check your pm.
Joseph DiPerla--- http://www.adventurestockpile.com
Play my Star Wars MMORPG: http://sw-bfs.com
See my Fiverr page for translation and other services: https://www.fiverr.com/josephdiperla
Google Plus Adventure Community: https://plus.google.com/communities/116504865864458899575

Peder 🚀

But why did you then give me this list??
Quote from: Leon on Sat 07/11/2009 13:17:29
- Game name
- Description of game
- Keywords to search on
- Date of release
- Filename of the game
- Available languages of the game
- Size of the game
- Link to external site (homepages of game)
- The author name (not the nick as used on the forum)
- Crossref author (to other work)
- Link to external site (homepages of author)
- Screenshot(s) of game
- User rating
- Length of the game *)
- Links to reviews
- Links to walkthroughs (not necessarily mine but I eventually do have them all.. Each game should have instructions on how to finish the game, either by author or third party).
- Addition info (optional) like background info, links to concept art on c&c, completed announcements, MAGS pages etc. Prizes won, articles in other publications...
:P hehehe.

Actually, when I posted here I hoped for the opposite result of what I recieved.
Because as ive said many times now, its meant to be an archive...

I agree, it might be smart to start small!
And I never said Id implement all the suggested features in the first beta ;).

If the user tries to upload a file with the same name as another file in their "folder" the script will give the user an error! So no matter what, they will never be able to overwrite an old file!

Also the script will allways rename the file.
Because I want all files to have the same name style.

The name of the file will depend on the title of the game, and the version.

arj0n

Peder, when it's in a beta phase, and you gonna let it be checked like Darth did with his mindwinder project I'd like to be of any help to test it and give comments to make it even more 'perfect'. Glad this project is going to be for real, we've been waiting for such an AGS Archive place, great job!

Peder 🚀

Thanks Arj0n!
I'll let you know as soon as a beta is ready! :).

TerranRich

So wait, you're just making basically a file mirror for all AGS game downloads?

If so, I'm continuing with my idea. Our sites could even work together, using your site as a backup for downloads!

;D

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Peder's pretty brilliant with this kind of stuff.

Peder 🚀

Quote from: TerranRich on Tue 10/11/2009 04:29:30
So wait, you're just making basically a file mirror for all AGS game downloads?

Noooooooooo!!!! NO MIRROR!!!!!
hehehe. I want to replace the MAIN download link ;).

But no, as I said... an archive!
But the plan was never to include ALOT of extra info.
The main idea, was to give game developers a place to host their game without all these horrible steps other hosting sites put the downloaders through. And to offer game players a nice looking archive of everything AGS with basic info about each item!

But for sure! Go ahead with your idea ;).
I will be open too join forces with any other site :).

@ProgZ: heh thanks ^^.

Leon

I suggest each party keeps on doing what he/she's intended to do: Terran makes the reviews & alternative community, Peder makes the repository and I keep working on the documentation. When Peder's repository is up and running (the core of it all), we can join forces and link one another.

For now I think Peder should just focus on the database with games and basic info to be able to search it and add new entries.
Ultimate Game Solutions - Because there is a solution for everything

TerranRich

I think I got it now. Basically a file upload service with search/organization capabilities? Sorry if I try to "dumb it down" for myself, but I need to know exactly what you're making so I don't duplicate it. It still sounds like we could join forced. ;D

Peder 🚀

It's an archive with a file upload service ;)!
hehe :P.

TerranRich

That's what I meant. Excellent, then our sites can work together. I'm just glad I won't be stepping on your toes when I eventually post a similar thread asking for tips and ideas. :)

Peder 🚀

Heh, dont worry about that! :).

I wouldent mind if you DID anyways ;).
I'd just make my site 10 times better than yours ;) hehe ;D.

TerranRich

But we're not competing! ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk