Time for me to work on my first RON game...

Started by Leon101, Thu 03/09/2009 07:37:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Leon101

I'm  :-[  to say, that I haven't had any ideas for awhile to make a RON game with. However, I recently stumbled upon a style idea. Most of the games are graphic adventures, and the others are text adventures, which is just spiffy   ;)  . I've decided to do something different with mine though.

What I'm going to do is put my RPG Maker VX to work and make a short RON Traditional RPG (Hey I paid 60 bucks for that creation tool!). You know, of the Dragon Quest variety (My favorite series, W00t!)

Trouble is, I can't draw, let alone make sprites... hum? I will certainly give it a go though. This change to new format, should make for some good jokes (although I might not be able to pull them off right and get a laugh... sigh, yeah I know I lack confidence.)

UPDATE: I have a name for this RPG of mine- Reality-On-The-Norm: The Hunt for Drake. As well as some story details thus far.

Melt, awakes in the streets of Reality, with no prior knowledge of what happened the night before. More importantly though... Drake is missing! Take on the role of Melt, as you scour the far corners of Reality and team up with two (un?)likely characters, in attempt to try and find answers as to where Drake has gotten off to. Be forewarned though, the adventure is about to get trippy.

Chicky

If you're doing an RPG make sure you include some challenging puzzles and lots of dialog. Then i will be more inclined to play it :)

Leon101

Quote from: Chicky on Thu 03/09/2009 11:38:59
If you're doing an RPG make sure you include some challenging puzzles and lots of dialog. Then i will be more inclined to play it :)

I wasn't aware that RPGs had puzzles,  ??? , let alone traditional RPGs. Plus, it's still a NORM game, so it will be the standard short, comedy based game. I haven't yet used RPG Maker VX to ever make a game with, so this is my way of finally learning how.

You're expecting too much out of me, this will be my first time using it.

Chicky

I've never used any RPG maker, i just figured that most RON games are puzzle based so if you want to hit a larger audience i'd include some item based puzzles. I think it would work, just some friendly advice.

Leon101

Quote from: Chicky on Fri 04/09/2009 20:49:06
I've never used any RPG maker, i just figured that most RON games are puzzle based so if you want to hit a larger audience i'd include some item based puzzles. I think it would work, just some friendly advice.

Oh, that's because most (read all, as of now) RON games are adventure games. I'm breaking that trend, by making mine a small traditional RPG. Where you fight enemies, gain EXP, level up, buy stronger equipment, items and of course thwart the villain's evil plan. The general idea of my game has changed to:

Melt and Drake awake in their apartment, with massive headaches and no prior recollation of what happened the night before. That day, a mysterious hooded man visits them in their apartment to tell of a prophecy that foretold about legendary heroes, who possess a great power that would save Dopetopia, a faraway realm habited by strange narcotic beings, from the evil Narc Lord. Melt and Drake are those heroes. Be forewarned though...

This adventure is about to get trippy!

Renegade Implementor

QuoteOh, that's because most (read all, as of now) RON games are adventure games

Well, there have been a few non-adventure games.  The quiz games, Men of War, and Michael Gower's Zombie Hill spring to mind.  It is nice to see that other game genres are being considered, and a RPG sounds interesting.

What's the pixel size of the character sprites, if you don't mind me asking.  Also, is the battle system similar to the earlier Final Fantasy games, Phantasy Star, or Dragon Warrior/Quest games?

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

A story like this would definitely work if the game began with standard RoN graphics and then Melt and Drake smoke some happy grass and the graphics turn into old NES style stuff or something similar :D.

Leon101

Quote from: Renegade Implementor on Sat 05/09/2009 15:19:29
QuoteOh, that's because most (read all, as of now) RON games are adventure games

Well, there have been a few non-adventure games.  The quiz games, Men of War, and Michael Gower's Zombie Hill spring to mind.  It is nice to see that other game genres are being considered, and a RPG sounds interesting.

What's the pixel size of the character sprites, if you don't mind me asking.  Also, is the battle system similar to the earlier Final Fantasy games, Phantasy Star, or Dragon Warrior/Quest games?

Character sprites are 32X35. And they consist of nine sprites, three each for up facing, down, left and right facing (plus walking animation for each facing). And the battle is Dragon Quest, first person style.

Quote from: ProgZmax on Sun 06/09/2009 00:56:16
A story like this would definitely work if the game began with standard RoN graphics and then Melt and Drake smoke some happy grass and the graphics turn into old NES style stuff or something similar :D.

The general story idea at the moment, is that they become legendary heroes, that are destined to save a world, inhabited by living illegal drugs, from a evil tyrant known as the Narc Lord.

Leon101

Change of plans! I won't be making an RPG for ROtN. (Maybe once I have gotten used to using that system  ;D ) Instead, I'll just work on an adventure game, using Adventure Maker (that creator is so easy to use). This will move things along, because now I can the character sprites already made... or at the very least backgrounds (the game will be in first person view, so the sprites probably won't look right). By the by, does anyone have the town square music, the download doesn't work.

Renegade Implementor

The links work again, so you can download the music files you need.

Leon101

Quote from: Renegade Implementor on Thu 10/09/2009 00:26:44
The links work again, so you can download the music files you need.

Thank you very much.  ;D

Leon101

Well, I haven't got far with my game (still working on the details) but I did finish drawing The Farmer in the style I will be using.

Mr Flibble

Quote from: ProgZmax on Sun 06/09/2009 00:56:16

Using this idea is very important to making your game charming and fun even to those who do not like RPGs.
Ah! There is no emoticon for what I'm feeling!

DeviantGent

I second the above with the intensity of Robert Maxwell's waistline.
The Deviant Gent
His Tumblr - His Twitter

Leon101

Doesn't matter. I've scrapped all that RPG biz. My story has gone through a lot of changes recently. So, I can't really tell you want to expect. But it will be and Adv game in Adv Game Studio.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk