Help on Harvester Games - Downfall please

Started by EvelynP, Fri 04/09/2009 06:22:05

Previous topic - Next topic

EvelynP

Hi, I'm currently playing Downfall by Harvester Games (http://www.harvesterindiegames.com/), and I am completely stuck at the moment!

Spoiler
I can't find the bar needed to conduct electricity for Dr. Z's experiment! I've looked everywhere, including the studio, but I have found nothing. I also can't figure out how to get the gas switch to not shut off automatically upon getting up to floor three.
[close]

Thanks for the assist. :)

Igor Hardy

Quote from: EvelynP on Fri 04/09/2009 06:22:05
Hi, I'm currently playing Downfall by Harvester Games (http://www.harvesterindiegames.com/), and I am completely stuck at the moment!

Spoiler
I can't find the bar needed to conduct electricity for Dr. Z's experiment! I've looked everywhere, including the studio, but I have found nothing. I also can't figure out how to get the gas switch to not shut off automatically upon getting up to floor three.
[close]

Thanks for the assist. :)

Spoiler
I think the bar was actually a crowbar, but I don't remember where I found it.

The gas switch on the other hand is my favorite puzzle in the game. I's the ghost of the dead man in the basement that shuts it off - he is angry that you took his brain out. So you have to find a replacement for his brain...
[close]

arj0n

EvelynP: You can find
Spoiler
the crowbar at the building site with the guard while dreaming
[close]

EvelynP

I can't believe how simple it was!

Spoiler
How did I NOT figure out "I WANT IT BACK" after removing the brain? :X
[close]

Thanks for the help! I've finally beat the game now with that little tip.  ;D

Rob

Another question...

Spoiler
I've already completed the game once with the help of Agnes. This play through I decided to see how I got along without her, but now I can't figure out how to open the door to the film studio. In the previous playthrough Agnes even said "you couldn't figure that out without me, could you" - it's like she's taunting me from beyond the grave!
[close]

Thanks in advance for your help.

Grim

Quote from: Rob on Sat 05/09/2009 21:12:00
Another question...

Spoiler
I've already completed the game once with the help of Agnes. This play through I decided to see how I got along without her, but now I can't figure out how to open the door to the film studio. In the previous playthrough Agnes even said "you couldn't figure that out without me, could you" - it's like she's taunting me from beyond the grave!
[close]

Thanks in advance for your help.

Maybe Agnes really is taunting Joe from behind  the grave?
I'm going to give you a little hint:

Rob

That's a really tough one...

Spoiler
I've already killed the sophie in that room and Agnes' body wasn't there during the scene... I've seen that screenshot before and wondered what was going on. Any more info you can give me?  My guess is that I need to get whatever is in that middle drawer in the room, but I've no idea how to open it.
[close]

Grim

Quote from: Rob on Sun 06/09/2009 23:24:31
That's a really tough one...

Spoiler
I've already killed the sophie in that room and Agnes' body wasn't there during the scene... I've seen that screenshot before and wondered what was going on. Any more info you can give me?  My guess is that I need to get whatever is in that middle drawer in the room, but I've no idea how to open it.
[close]

Just wait. She should appear after the last dream... Her ghost has been known to play up, though, and I could never fully control her behavior for some reason... It might be a scripting mistake, but for me it has always been this game's "real ghost", unpredictable and spiteful...

Rob

Ahh - I think this may be down to the bug then. I went back and she appeared so now I've managed to do the lot.  Seeing as you're here, I have some other quesions:

Spoiler
1) Is there any difference in the endings if you kill the first sophie using the painless route with the red chemical compared to the painful route with the blue one?  I didn't notice anything.
2) Is there a way of getting the key from the cat without killing it?
3) I've now seen a few different endings, but not sure if I've seen them all, I'd just like to check:

A) Kill myself
B) Kill the cop
C) Surrender - this differers depending on whether you cheat or not

There were also 2 different epilogues depending on whether agnes was dead or alive.

anything I missed?

4) Any chance I could be a beta tester on your next game :)

Spoiler
[close]
[close]

Grim

Quote from: Rob on Mon 07/09/2009 00:47:23
Ahh - I think this may be down to the bug then. I went back and she appeared so now I've managed to do the lot.  Seeing as you're here, I have some other quesions:

Spoiler
1) Is there any difference in the endings if you kill the first sophie using the painless route with the red chemical compared to the painful route with the blue one?  I didn't notice anything.
2) Is there a way of getting the key from the cat without killing it?
3) I've now seen a few different endings, but not sure if I've seen them all, I'd just like to check:

A) Kill myself
B) Kill the cop
C) Surrender - this differers depending on whether you cheat or not

There were also 2 different epilogues depending on whether agnes was dead or alive.

anything I missed?

4) Any chance I could be a beta tester on your next game :)

Spoiler

[close]
[close]
I think you have pretty much experienced everything Downfall has to offer! I congratulate you on your patience!
Spoiler
The chemical choice doesn't affect any of the endings and killing the cat is essential to the story!
Spoiler

I'll keep in mind that you'd like to beta test the next game. I shall get back to you on that in the future ( it seems that you have what it takes!)
[close]
[close]

Rob

Thanks for all your help and feedback, I look forward to playing more of your games in the future!

Stefano

I also bought the game and absolute adored it. Thank you very, very much for developing it.

In addition to what Rob said about the multiple endings...
Spoiler
...does kissing the (un)dead receptionist make any difference? Because when I chose the "surrender" option in the end, Ivy she seemed unwilling to help, resenting the event.
[close]
I'll probably explore all the other options too! Pity I didn't save regularly and will have to play the whole game again.
Trying to make my first AGS game.

EvelynP

Quote from: Stefano on Sat 17/10/2009 22:59:56
I also bought the game and absolute adored it. Thank you very, very much for developing it.

In addition to what Rob said about the multiple endings...
Spoiler
...does kissing the (un)dead receptionist make any difference? Because when I chose the "surrender" option in the end, Ivy she seemed unwilling to help, resenting the event.
[close]
I'll probably explore all the other options too! Pity I didn't save regularly and will have to play the whole game again.

Spoiler
If you don't kiss the receptionist and use the surrender option, Ivy takes the gun and shoots the detective.
[close]

jkohen

Hi, I'm stuck in the same place as the OP, only that I already followed the advice on the...
Spoiler

gas valve. I've opened the gas in the room where she died, but I cannot do anything with it. I assumed I had to lite it, but I have no fire.

I've only killed the little Sophie. I assume the sequence where I get the crowbar happens after I kill the next Sophie, but I'm at a loss here. I've been everywhere in the game a few times to no avail.
[close]

Thanks!

Leon

You need a little help from someone else...
Spoiler
Visit  the Room Where She Was Rejected. Talk to Mr Harris. Offer Mr Harris a beer.
[close]
Ultimate Game Solutions - Because there is a solution for everything

jkohen

Quote from: Leon on Fri 30/10/2009 11:26:03
You need a little help from someone else...
Spoiler
Visit  the Room Where She Was Rejected. Talk to Mr Harris. Offer Mr Harris a beer.
[close]

Spoiler

I could never find the beer. I'll look again, but please tell me where to look.
[close]

Thanks,

Leon

It's quite hidden... ;-)

Spoiler
Go back to 3rd floor’s main corridor and use silver necklace on the mirror to open one of Sophie’s secret hiding places, Room Where She Was Eating. Grab a can of BEER from the fridge on the left and leave.
[close]
Ultimate Game Solutions - Because there is a solution for everything

jkohen

Quote from: Leon on Sat 31/10/2009 11:36:52
It's quite hidden... ;-)

Spoiler
Go back to 3rd floor’s main corridor and use silver necklace on the mirror to open one of Sophie’s secret hiding places, Room Where She Was Eating. Grab a can of BEER from the fridge on the left and leave.
[close]

Finished the game, thanks!

Spoiler

I would have never guessed that I should have used the necklace on the mirror.
[close]

Was there any hint that this had to be done?

Grim

Quote from: jkohen on Sat 31/10/2009 14:32:52
Quote from: Leon on Sat 31/10/2009 11:36:52
It's quite hidden... ;-)

Spoiler
[close]

Finished the game, thanks!

Spoiler

I would have never guessed that I should have used the necklace on the mirror.
[close]

Was there any hint that this had to be done?

Spoiler

Yes- in the diary that Joe finds on the bathroom floor.
[close]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk