Author Topic: TEMPLATE: 9-verb MI-style 1.6.3 - Last update: 21th June 2018  (Read 68691 times)

Hey, I hope it`s ok to bump this thread so I can ask something :D
I have been using this awesome template for a while to create my game, and only now have I stumbled across a little problem:
So far I could not find a way to make an on-screen object usable in the same way as an inventory item. So when you choose "Use" on that object,
the GUI will Show "Use Object with...", so I can use that object with another on-screen object.
I really have no idea how to achieve something like this. D:
It would be awesome if someone here could please help me out with this! :D

Khris

• Lifetime Achievement Award Winner
    •  
    • I can help with play testing
    •  
    • I can help with scripting
    •  
    • I can help with translating
    •  
    • Khris worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
The template doesn't support this; you'll have to script it yourself.

A "simple" way (or rather workaround) would be to allow the player to take the object, but when they walk away too far, remove it from their inventory again with an appropriate message (using a region to trigger that).

It`s me again :grin: Thanks for your answer Khris, however I totally forgot to look around in here again as I was experimenting around with the problem I mentioned above.

I am having a new question here...
It seems to be the case that the player character automatically moves towards another character when "Talk To" is selected.
Is there a way to remove that? I am having a few situations in the game where to player is supposed to stand on his spot when he greets another character from the distance.

Edit:
I managed to accomplish what I envisioned by removing this in the GuiScript:

...and thus, turning it into this:

Did the same for the "GiveTo" command and the TalkTo-function that is called via right click.
Works fine so far, now that I can manually set the WalkTo-points in my scripts, however it feels kinda wrong to edit the template this way.
I hope there are no problems arising from this (wtf)
« Last Edit: 27 Jan 2018, 13:03 by WatchDaToast »

Khris

• Lifetime Achievement Award Winner
    •  
    • I can help with play testing
    •  
    • I can help with scripting
    •  
    • I can help with translating
    •  
    • Khris worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
If you look at the start of the if block, right above the line you changed, you'll see that switching off the automatic approach is already available by setting approachCharInteract = false; at the top of guiscript.asc (together with a few other settings, like for instance the action bar's text color).

This also means that the change you made shouldn't have any unforeseen negative consequences since it has the exact same effect :)

Aah, so I could have just changed that instead. Good to know, thanks! ;-D

abstauber

• Cavefish
  • Mittens Knight
  • still mowing the lawn
    • abstauber worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
      abstauber worked on a game that won an AGS Award!
Here's a small bugfix release. I actually fixed this in the repo months ago, but forgot to compile a new template. So here it is :)