TEMPLATE: 9-verb MI-style 1.6.4 - Last update: 4th April 2019

Started by abstauber, Thu 17/09/2009 16:16:37

Previous topic - Next topic

abstauber

Quote from: Unai on Mon 17/01/2011 13:27:24
Ok, so what about "Restaurar"? It means Restore, i think it's pretty self explanatory :D
Don't you think it could be confused with Load? I mean Sierra kept calling "Load" "Restore" for a long time ;)

Quote from: Unai on Mon 17/01/2011 13:27:24
Extra question:
I haven't tried the template yet, and maybe is somehow clear when I open it in AGS, but... what size do the backgrounds need to be to use your GUI? From screenshots it looks like 139px for a 320px resolution, but the number is a bit weird...

The background size at lowres is 320x142, which should be typical SCUMM size. Although, you're right, my sample background is 139px tall. Why, you might ask? I have no clue ;D

But still, the GUI starts at 143.

Unai

Quote from: abstauber on Mon 17/01/2011 13:54:21
Don't you think it could be confused with Load? I mean Sierra kept calling "Load" "Restore" for a long time ;)

¡¡This is Lucasarts style!!

No, really... I think having Save/Load makes clear Restore is not Load :D

Maybe poplamanopla can help :D
I am a deeply superficial person

abstauber

Quote from: Unai on Mon 17/01/2011 14:04:47
¡¡This is Lucasarts style!!

*cough* that was just a test (of course). You've archived 1000 out of 1337 points ;)

Anyway, for the german translation I (or whoever it did) chose "Standard"

Unai

When do you plan to release a new version including this stuff?

I'm REALLY lazy, and I don't want to start to work around the actual version and then have to change stuff :p

No hurries, it's just that depending on how long you think it will take I might overcome my lazyness :D

abstauber

Well, nothing really functional is going to be changed. All I have planned for the next release is the new localized GUI that comes with a simple language switch variable.

The way the templates handles inventory items wanted, because most of us think it's an evolution of the old way (I'm sure there's a discussion about this issue somewhere on the boards).

Bottom line, start whenever you want :) If you like to work with the new template, I guess you have to wait a week or two until I release a beta. Until then the default button problem should also be solved ;)

Unai

Thanks!! I'll wait then, I have many things to do and try, so I'll go with those and come back to the template later :D

If you need any translations just let me know!

poplamanopla

Images verbs:

I changed the size in some images because I think this is more close to scumm games style.

To work fine you have change the left value in GUI in three images:

btnMainBack: -> just replace image file

action0(Button; ID0): -> just replace image and MouseOverImage file
action0(Button; ID1): -> just replace image and MouseOverImage file
action0(Button; ID2): -> replace image, MouseOverImage file and change left value to 89
action0(Button; ID3): -> just replace image and MouseOverImage file
action0(Button; ID4): -> just replace image and MouseOverImage file
action0(Button; ID5):  -> replace image, MouseOverImage file and change left value to 89
action0(Button; ID6): -> just replace image and MouseOverImage file
action0(Button; ID7): -> just replace image and MouseOverImage file
action0(Button; ID8):  -> replace image, MouseOverImage file and change left value to 89

In my opinion not be good idea do a literally translated the verbs.

By example:

Restore means "restaurar" in spanish, but in a game context could perfectly means "load".

Like a exemple: "Restore game" = "Cargar partida"

By other way, "load" means "cargar" in spanish translation and for me this is the best solution.

abstauber

Thanks for your work - although I already have the buttons from josemarg. In his translatation he translated pull with "Estirar" instead of "Tirar".

I've checked a spanish MI2 screenshot and they seem to use "Tirar" too.  So should I change it or not?

I'm also confused how to finally call the "defaut values" button: Restaurar or Estándar?

Unai

I'd use Estirar.

Even if Lucastarts used Tirar in it's translations Tirar can mean throw too, and for me it got confusing at the beginning.

As for "Estándar" or "Restaurar" I'd use Restaurar, I personally think it makes more sense than Estándar.

kaputtnik

Hello!

I'd argue that "restaurar" doesn't work here, mainly because it needs a subject (restaurar algo). "Default" would be "valores por defecto", or "configuración por defecto", which is much too long to fit here. "Restore default" would be "restablecer valores por defecto", which is insanely long. "Por defecto" alone does not work. "Restablecer" alone does not work either, but (in my opinion) makes slightly more sense than "restaurar".

...and here we have another fine example of non-problem solving!
I, object.

Unai

Ohhh, I really like Restablecer, but still doesn't fit, since it's 11 characters long! Argg!!

abstauber

Yep, doesn't fit :(  Any abbreviations?

@Giowe
Sorry to left your issue unanswered:

There's no need to disable and enable the gui in each dialog. All you need to do is:
In General Settings set "When player interface is disabled"  to  "GUIs should "be hidden". That's all.

poplamanopla

Normally in the most games when translated the verb "Pull" to spanish usually use the verb "Tirar".
You can put "estirar" because is correct, but it's something stranger for the people that play point n' click games.

Take a look this screenshot:

About the issue "Restaurar" / "Estandar" / "Default" : "Deafault values" is translate as  "Valores por defecto".

You can writte also "Por defecto" (11 characters too, as "restablecer"  ;) ), this it's more short for text in a button (if you are refer an options in a game) and it's more common in games. "Restabler" o "Por defecto" are the best solution.

"Estándar" sounds terrible ... And not have much sense.

Estárdar = Standard

Definition of estándar.

// edit

You can also resize the text in the button:

or use more space in the graphic:

Unai

Just in case "Restable" is a typo :p

A quick spanish incise:

poplamanopla... ¿de verdad no te pasó la primera vez que jugaste a un juego que pensabas que Tirar era de arrojar? Recuerdo intentar que Indy "tirara" todos los objetos del inventario alguna vez hasta que de pronto tiró de la librería en casa de su padre y todo tuvo sentido :D

cianty

Oooh, you even managed to have GUybrush from MI2 point at the buttons.. nice..  ;D

Isn't it nice to use Tirar if it ALSO can mean throw? It actually begs for a language-exclusive bonus puzzle.
ca. 70% completed

Unai

It's actually some kind oh phrasal verb problem:

Tirar = Throw
Tirar de = Pull

poplamanopla

Quote from: Unai on Tue 18/01/2011 22:34:43

A quick spanish incise:

poplamanopla... ¿de verdad no te pasó la primera vez que jugaste a un juego que pensabas que Tirar era de arrojar? Recuerdo intentar que Indy "tirara" todos los objetos del inventario alguna vez hasta que de pronto tiró de la librería en casa de su padre y todo tuvo sentido :D

// Spanish
:)
No. Se que puede ser confuso, pero creo que es más bien es un error de comprensión.
No suelo usar el verbo "arrojar", normalmente uso "lanzar" y siempre endendí que "tirar" procedia de "tirar de algo".

Estamos hablando de una plantilla que trata de parecerse al GUI de juegos Scumm así que es mejor no cambiar nada.

// English
No. I know it can be confusing, but I think it is rather a misunderstanding.
I don't usually use the verb "Arrojar"(Throw) normally I use "Lanzar"(Throw) and always I understood that "tirar"(Pull) comes from "tirar de algo" (Pull something).

We're talking about a template that tries to look like the GUI of Scumm games so it's better change nothing.

cianty

Unai, thanks for clearing that up!

Not like I am any competent in Spanish (obviously) but I don't see the point in using a different word than the one that is already well-established, as poplamanopla said.
ca. 70% completed

Unai

Ok, I agree poplamanopla has a point. Tirar is the classic Lucasarts word for Pull, so...  ::)

abstauber

"Restabler" fits perfectly, please don't tell me, it's a typo too. Sweet Guybrush-Pointer btw. :D
Also I'm going to replace estirar with tirar.

Since I already cought your interest, what do you think about not translating unhandled events? I think most users change those anyway and that way they don't have to adjust all other translations.

Oh and thanks for your input, guys :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk