Author Topic: TEMPLATE: 9-verb MI-style 1.6.3 - Last update: 21th June 2018  (Read 69431 times)

Hey, I hope it`s ok to bump this thread so I can ask something :D
I have been using this awesome template for a while to create my game, and only now have I stumbled across a little problem:
So far I could not find a way to make an on-screen object usable in the same way as an inventory item. So when you choose "Use" on that object,
the GUI will Show "Use Object with...", so I can use that object with another on-screen object.
I really have no idea how to achieve something like this. D:
It would be awesome if someone here could please help me out with this! :D

Khris

• Lifetime Achievement Award Winner
    •  
    • I can help with play testing
    •  
    • I can help with scripting
    •  
    • I can help with translating
    •  
    • Khris worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
The template doesn't support this; you'll have to script it yourself.

A "simple" way (or rather workaround) would be to allow the player to take the object, but when they walk away too far, remove it from their inventory again with an appropriate message (using a region to trigger that).

It`s me again :grin: Thanks for your answer Khris, however I totally forgot to look around in here again as I was experimenting around with the problem I mentioned above.

I am having a new question here...
It seems to be the case that the player character automatically moves towards another character when "Talk To" is selected.
Is there a way to remove that? I am having a few situations in the game where to player is supposed to stand on his spot when he greets another character from the distance.

Edit:
I managed to accomplish what I envisioned by removing this in the GuiScript:

...and thus, turning it into this:

Did the same for the "GiveTo" command and the TalkTo-function that is called via right click.
Works fine so far, now that I can manually set the WalkTo-points in my scripts, however it feels kinda wrong to edit the template this way.
I hope there are no problems arising from this (wtf)
« Last Edit: 27 Jan 2018, 13:03 by WatchDaToast »

Khris

•  
    • I can help with play testing
    •  
    • I can help with scripting
    •  
    •  
    • Khris worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
If you look at the start of the if block, right above the line you changed, you'll see that switching off the automatic approach is already available by setting approachCharInteract = false; at the top of guiscript.asc (together with a few other settings, like for instance the action bar's text color).

This also means that the change you made shouldn't have any unforeseen negative consequences since it has the exact same effect :)

Aah, so I could have just changed that instead. Good to know, thanks! ;-D

abstauber

• Cavefish
  • Mittens Knight
  • still mowing the lawn
    • abstauber worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
      abstauber worked on a game that won an AGS Award!
Here's a small bugfix release. I actually fixed this in the repo months ago, but forgot to compile a new template. So here it is :)

Crimson Wizard

• AGS Project Tracker Admins
    • Best Innovation Award Winner 2013, for spearheading the AGS 3.3.0 project
    •  
    •  
    • Crimson Wizard worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
      Crimson Wizard worked on a game that won an AGS Award!
I'm trying to branch and/or create a pull request but it seems disabled in github. Have you disabled it for that project?

I don't think pulls are disabled, how do you do branching? Have you forked your own repository?

Monsieur OUXX

• Cavefish
  • Mittens Vassal
  • Mittens Half Initiate
    • I can help with proof reading
    •  
    •  
    • I can help with voice acting
    •  
Issue I had with git:
Add spoiler tag for Hidden:
1) cloned repo locally
2) using Git's local client interface, created a branch called "objectified"
3) Made changes
4) Commited changes (to local)
5) Tried to push changes --> it prompts me for my git credentials --> OK --> then it prompts me for some "git.com" credentials
   --> KO : It says "remote: Permission to dkrey/ags_9verb-template.git denied to jeancallisti. fatal: unable to access 'https://github.com/dkrey/ags_9verb-template.git/': The requested URL returned error: 403"

Note : 'jeancallisti' is my git account name.

EDIT: here is how I solved it :
Add spoiler tag for Hidden:

- when I cloned abstauber's remote repo, I wasn't logged into git, I just took the URL as it appeared on the screen.
- because of that, the URL did not contain my username, but instead Abstauber's user name : https://github.com/dkrey/ags_9verb-template.git
- The clone and the first commit went perfect so I didn't even notice, but that url was still stored in .git/config
- I had to edit that file manually with the proper URL : https://github.com/jeancallisti/ags_9verb-template.git
- Now the push went fine and my fork is in my own remote repo.
- Off to the pull request!

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/7438313/pushing-to-git-returning-error-code-403-fatal-http-request-failed

(phew, git is the only software I've ever encountered that's at the same time very straightforward and yet causing neverending confusion and human mistakes)
« Last Edit: 06 Jul 2018, 23:49 by Monsieur OUXX »

Crimson Wizard

• AGS Project Tracker Admins
    • Best Innovation Award Winner 2013, for spearheading the AGS 3.3.0 project
    •  
    •  
    • Crimson Wizard worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
      Crimson Wizard worked on a game that won an AGS Award!
Repositories are of course protected against direct pushes by default, otherwise anyone could modify anyone's repository at will without asking.
You need to create your own remote to be able to push there, and then create pull requests for abstauber's.

Press "Fork" button at abstrauber's page: that will create your remote copy, under your github account. Then either clone your remote to your local machine and redo your changes there (and push).
or, if you know how to configure remotes in local github repository, you could just switch path and tell it to sync with your remote instead of abstauber's.

« Last Edit: 03 Jul 2018, 23:07 by Crimson Wizard »

Monsieur OUXX

• Cavefish
  • Mittens Vassal
  • Mittens Half Initiate
    • I can help with proof reading
    •  
    •  
    • I can help with voice acting
    •  
Is the github repo up to date? 1.6.3 is from June 2018 but the repo shows last changes from 9 months ago.
« Last Edit: 04 Jul 2018, 22:28 by Monsieur OUXX »