MAGS October: Steampunk! (Winner Announced)

Started by Dualnames, Wed 30/09/2009 15:41:31

Previous topic - Next topic

OneDollar

There were 7 games in the first MAGS competition I entered (September 2009 2007), but I don't know if that's the record.

I played Ted McBinky and Steamsquares last night, eagerly awaiting Pinback's entry!

Gilbert

Helme

Let's see if we get a new record or just a very active month.

Dualnames

Quote from: Gilbet V7000a on Fri 23/10/2009 14:40:18
Quote from: OneDollar on Fri 23/10/2009 13:10:07
September 2009

That's... last month?  :=

September 2007, he made a typo there. I recall 7 entries max, but well I'll check it out for you,..

http://www.mags-competition.info/?page=games&only=2007-04&pagetitle=Unexpected
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Crimson Wizard

Allright, there's a good chance I finish before the deadline too (maybe around 00:00 of 25th, as before). I won't post any previews here though, because I guess it is silly thing to do; I ain't going to tease anyone here :). Only thing I can say is that this time I chose different art style, more simple and pixel-artish (if I may say so).

I had much more time to work on a game this month, but a new problem arose. It is a terrible thing to say, but... I got bored  :P. Actually this happened when game was about 50% ready and suddenly I realized I want to make a full remake! Ouch...
So I had to push myself really hard to complete it. I had to cut out some parts from scenario too because I was afraid I won't be able to finish them with appropriate level of quality. All I want now is to get away with this competition entry and start working on total remake  ;D

bicilotti

Crimson Wizard

That's a real shame... but that's it - I decided to give up. Sorry.

Maybe if I tried really hard I could make it to deadline. Maybe I would even had a chance to win ;) (why not, heh).
But it's just I don't like how it goes. Hate doing things in hurry, they are coming out awkward and crude. And also I really don't like being in stress. So... well.

I don't regret of trying to make this MAGS entry anyway, it was an interesting experience. I am starting a remake right now (formally speaking); hopefully I'll make a normal Short or maybe even Medium-length game based on this concept in one or two months.

Good luck to all participants, and sorry for decreasing the chances of getting a record of entries number ;)

Oh, and in case anyone is curious, here are links to few screenshots from my unfinished game and my intro song. I hope comp. host won't be angered by this, after all nobody is going to vote for raw materials, so I guess it won't hurt anyone :)

http://www.2dadventure.com/ags/oneofakind_shot1.png
http://www.2dadventure.com/ags/oneofakind_shot2.png
http://www.2dadventure.com/ags/oneofakind_shot3.png
http://www.2dadventure.com/ags/oneofakind_intro.mid

arj0n

Darn Crimson, the screens look like I would have liked the game...
So I hope the remake will be out there someday ;)

Helme

@Crimson

The screens look cute. I hope we will see a completed game a few months later.

SomeSickSelf

Okay my entry's done, just needs some last minute testing.  I need to stop by my doctors' first so I will edit this post with links and such within the next few hours decided to make a new post so people would see it.

@Crimson: Sorry to hear that, but I don't blame you, making the deadline can be quite stressful.  I'll be looking forward to the remake.

Babar

Duals sorta acknowledged my need for an extra day or two. I'm not sure if that was official or not, so I'll ask here as well. Can I have till the 27th?

If so, then Crimson, c'mon! You can do it too!
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

tzachs

I'll join in on Babar's request... a delay would do me real happy  :D

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Babar on Sat 24/10/2009 19:50:19
Duals sorta acknowledged my need for an extra day or two. I'm not sure if that was official or not, so I'll ask here as well. Can I have till the 27th?

If so, then Crimson, c'mon! You can do it too!
Oh no. When I thought I could relax for few days  ;D
Is this for certain, anyway?

DrWhite

Hey Crimson, your screens look really fine. I´d really like to play the finished game.

Pinback

Yeah dont give up Crimson! I want to play this divine comedy, it looks really cool man.

I just worked for 42 hours straight my MAGS, until I began to hallucinate really badly and almost collapsed at my comp!
Never give up! Even if it means drinking all the coffee within a 3 kilometre radius!

Oh yeah, I would definitely vote for a 2 day extention for this MAGS, but only if there were no objections from all the other participants.

discordance

I wouldn't mind a slight extension. I have a game just about ready, but it could use a bit of polish.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Pinback on Sat 24/10/2009 22:11:59
I just worked for 42 hours straight my MAGS, until I began to hallucinate really badly and almost collapsed at my comp!
That's the dedication... something that I lack... and thanks for that  ;D

SomeSickSelf

First off, I would not be opposed to an extension, even though my game is done, as long as I retain the right to continue to patch it until the new deadline.  It's only fair after all.

That being said here's my entry, I tried to make it a little less convoluted than The North Crown but I feel like it could still use some clarification at times (hence why extra time would be handy).  You may want to hold off playing it until duals gives us the word on this extension business, as I will probably make some changes if I can.  I just want to be sure I'm entered.

I don't think I'll be doing any more updates.  Part of me wants to start designing new rooms and puzzles and things, but I think that would just weigh me down and cause more harm than good.  So this is the final version unless I need to do another emergency bug fix.

Ex Machina (Now version 1.2)

http://www.mediafire.com/?znl50jz4myi

Story:
William Ashcroft is a nervous man, who left his adventurous spirit behind him years ago.  One day an unfortunate chance encounter with a duo of ruthless assassins draws him into the midst of a strange conspiracy...

Also, the game features two endings depending on how you perform on a certain puzzle.  Probably should have mentioned that sooner.

Version 1.1 Fixes:
Spoiler
Fixed dead end bug in tavern.
Added more feedback for picking up items.
Fixed some typos.
Fixed walking bar stool bug.
Fixed infinite hammer bug.
Redrew certain inventory items.
May have fixed blowpipe staying in your inventory issue.
Fixed issues with mislabeled hotspots and descriptions.
Expanded hotspots and changed descriptions to make things less pixel-hunty.
[close]

Version 1.2:
Reworded the endings.
Made the last puzzle just a bit more challenging.

Screenshots:

discordance

And here's another one:

The Chronomancers

A world ruled by a ruthless dictator in a top hat and filled with stylishly dressed rebels waving ray guns and trying to save the world!

Screenshot!

Amazing features of this game:

- Heroes with unusual names!
- A sentient analog calculating machine presumably named Milquetoast!
- Derring do!
- More proof that goatees are evil! (as if we needed any)
- Pseudoscience enough to make strong men weep!
- Have I mentioned the ray guns?!

DOWNLOAD WITHOUT DELAY

I was hoping to make a game much vaster in scale, but my plans were beaten into the dust about four days ago when I realized how close the deadline was. As I result I think it feels like it was slashed bodily from the corpse of a much bigger game. Hopefully it's not as bad as that makes it sound.

EDIT: Exciting new version with a brilliant additional feature, the ability to save. Also removed a bug.

Helme

@Discordance

Where is the save option in the game? I'm also stuck right now.

Spoiler
I want to free the daughter. But I don't know what to tie to the rope. Maybe the inkstand, that I couldn't reach. By the way, it's extremly difficult to read what the daughter says.
[close]

@Somesickself

Just finished the game and enjoyed it. But I mentioned some bugs or things that could be improved.
Spoiler
It's hard to see the rotten fruit in the bush - that was quite a pixel hunt.
The hammer in the bar returns after you have taken it.
You return the glass pipe even if you already did that and don't have it in your inventory.
[close]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk