MAGS October: Steampunk! (Winner Announced)

Started by Dualnames, Wed 30/09/2009 15:41:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Pinback

I'll say! My entry isnt listed! I demand a recount!

Also thanks to OneDollar for file hosting for me, my link is now quick and easy. (Page 5 in this thread btw)

FSi++

Quote from: Pinback on Tue 27/10/2009 11:29:34
I'll say! My entry isnt listed! I demand a recount!

Then you can join Babar's suicide bombers squad.

bicilotti

Omg Dual, there's an angry mob out there!

Also I wanted to award Helme with "bestest MAGS host eva", but eventually Barack Obama said he'd do better, somehow someway someday. So sorry Helme, better luck next time. :(

Seriously, great entries all, and awesome topic Helme!

Crimson Wizard

Attention, please, a new version of my game uploaded, which fixes couple of really serious bugs. If you have already downloaded the game before, please download this one, or you won't be able to finish it!

Version 1.1:
http://www.filehosting.org/file/details/68935/OneOfAKind_1_1.zip

I double-checked that game can be complete this time, seems working fine, in general.

Awww, well, I am gong to have a nap. Shall start playing games in the evening.

Helme

Quote from: bicilotti on Tue 27/10/2009 11:53:17
Also I wanted to award Helme with "bestest MAGS host eva", but eventually Barack Obama said he'd do better, somehow someway someday. So sorry Helme, better luck next time. :(

Seriously, great entries all, and awesome topic Helme!

I'm quite proud. Maybe i put that title into my signature.

So, finished 5 of 9 games and need some hints.

@Discordance
I'm confused. Is there a new version with a save option? ???

@Pinback
Need a hint and found some bugs.

Spoiler
After I rescued Fuchs, it can happen that I'm told to do this again. I'm also told to fix the tabulator after I did that. One minor bug, I can get as many eyepieces from the telescope as I want.
Right now, I made new amunition for the flair, but I don't know how to use it.
[close]

@tzachs
I gathered some informations, but haven't found enough to finish the game.
Spoiler
Do I have to replace the damaged light bulb?
[close]

OneDollar

Finished four, stuck on three and not played two yet... this is hard work :D

tzachs

@Helme:

Hint:
Spoiler
You don't need to replace the lightbulb, you need to fix it. If you've talked to everybody someone should tell you that there is a way to 'fix' broken items...
[close]

And if, after reading the hint, you're still stuck, well, here's the complete solution:
Spoiler
Using the 'energizer', you can fix the lightbulb... If you'll try to go to the lab and use the lightbulb on the 'energizer', the scientist won't let you do it... But if you'll look carefully you'll see that the 'energizer' is standing near the window, so you can go round the back and fix it...
[close]

Pinback

My brother found a rather large bug in my entry, makes it almost unsolvable. Fix on it's way, will post it here within the hour.
Thanks for the bug finds guys, they will be fixed in my patch. Although I advise you not to play the game until I patch it, atm it's almost impossible solve.

Dualnames

Okay, resetting votes of course, which starts now! And ends in the same time as the previous one. 8:00 GMT (10 O clock Athens Time) at the 31th of October!

I'm not really online 24 hours a day, and I thought you all guys settled. Please don't edit a post when posting an entry but instead either inform you do, or post a reply, I can't possibly keep track of the MAGS topic. If you want to patch your game do PM me with the link and change it on your post too. I can't see when you guys edit your posts, at least not in a 128 reply topic (second MAGS topic in replies).

My god, are you guys nuts or what! 9 entries!!
To all competitors don't take advantage of the 2 days extension given, and please do pm me ASAP if you win, the guidelines of the next competition.

Entries
For voting please visit the MAGS site or make your choice right here:

Trial of the Schnellersparrow by Pinback
The Energizer by tzachs
The Chronomancers by discordance
Ted McBinky and his Steam Engine by FSi
Steamsquares by cat
Steam Trek: Clueless around Risa by frogking
Samarkand by Babar
One Of A Kind by Crimson Wizard
Ex Machina by SomeSickSelf

Please vote only once and be sure to have played all games before sending your voice! Good luck to all participants.

Vote (till the 30th)
You have 72 hours to vote for your favorite MAGS of the month.

Go here to vote!!

Oh, and due to the record of 9 entries broken and due to the headaches it gave me, Helme is now banned from all MAGS competitions EVER!!!  :D

Bicilotti, funniest reply ever!!

Pinback I'll be around for half an hour, if you solve this within that time period do tell me, otherwise I'll change the link tomorrow morning..
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Dualnames on Tue 27/10/2009 15:50:22

Now imagine Leon writing walkthroughs for all these games  ;D

PS. Yeah, Pinback, I really wanted to play your game; please hurry with the patch :D

Pinback

Ok, heres my final patched version.

http://www.onedollarproductions.co.uk/uploads/TotS_v3.0.zip

Sorry about all the messing around, first game and all:D

Leon

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Tue 27/10/2009 16:33:11
Quote from: Dualnames on Tue 27/10/2009 15:50:22

Now imagine Leon writing walkthroughs for all these games  ;D

PS. Yeah, Pinback, I really wanted to play your game; please hurry with the patch :D

Working on it!!! But I'm stuck in several so it's taking a bit longer....
Besides... all these patches. I keep downloading!
Just as the game makers... I demand two days extra! I have a life too, you know..  :D
Ultimate Game Solutions - Because there is a solution for everything

Helme

@Crimson Wizard

I couldn't finish you entry yet.

Spoiler
How do I get the key out of the water device? What do I have to do with the brain? I tried to put the ball into the grammaphone but it didn't work.
I already did combine some items: bellows+hose, magnet+wire, cut open the picture frame and cut a circle into the wooden plane.
[close]

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Helme on Tue 27/10/2009 18:33:15
@Crimson Wizard

I couldn't finish you entry yet.

Spoiler
How do I get the key out of the water device? What do I have to do with the brain? I tried to put the ball into the grammaphone but it didn't work.
I already did combine some items: bellows+hose, magnet+wire, cut open the picture frame and cut a circle into the wooden plane.
[close]

First of all, if you have version 1.0, there's a bug:
Spoiler
when cutting a circle you should get BOTH plane with a hole and wooden circle; in 1.0 game "forgets" to give you wooden circle.
[close]
I put links to version 1.1 on my post above.

As for more tips.
About brain:
1)
Spoiler
steelball to gamophone was correct thing to do, but you must think how to disable his vision. Seek in the room for something that may represent "eyes".
[close]
2)
Spoiler
you need to cover these "eyes" with something.
[close]
3)
Spoiler
You won't be able to simply throw the cover on the "eyes". You need to somehow get it up there...
[close]

About red beam:
Spoiler
Read carefully description of how alarm system works - that character gives to you. You have an item that may help to "cut" the beam in the middle and thus open the passage.
[close]

frogking

4 to go ...

@tzachs: Stuck in your game

Spoiler
I know Susan has a gun but it's not enough for interrogation and it doesn't seem to be considered a valid reason for going through the window into her room. Got screwdriver and bagpipe
[close]

tzachs

@frogking: Hmm...
Spoiler
Do you have the lightbulb? It's in the storage room... You need to take it and fix it to turn on the light... if you have more troubles you can look at the hint I gave Helme earlier in this thread...
[close]

And btw, I really enjoyed your entry, it was a cool idea...
Spoiler
In particular, I really liked the bit where you shoot the other planet because they won't help you with the door, I wish I could do that in real life  :)
[close]

@Leon: Alright, you got 2 days extension.. all walkthroughs must be in by 29 Oct 08:00 GMT  :P

Crimson Wizard

Pinback, I am trying your game now, and just a small note: intro text is too fast, I couldn't read all of it before lines change :( (I'm not a native english-speaker).
Also, there's a status bar on the top of the screen. It looks like you used Default game template, but it doesn't look like the status bar is being used anyhow in your game. Maybe you consider simply remove it?

Pinback

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Tue 27/10/2009 19:37:48
Pinback, I am trying your game now, and just a small note: intro text is too fast, I couldn't read all of it before lines change :( (I'm not a native english-speaker).
Also, there's a status bar on the top of the screen. It looks like you used Default game template, but it doesn't look like the status bar is being used anyhow in your game. Maybe you consider simply remove it?

Its just the start intro that goes pretty fast, the other ones are slower, I just didnt get time to change it.
About the status bar,  being my first game I didnt want to mess with the code I didnt understand at all, plus I kinda like it.

frogking

@tzachs

Spoiler
Yes I fixed the bulb, and I think I need to use the screw driver on the safe at some point in the game but it is not yet "the time"
[close]

And glad you like my game ;D
Spoiler
Did you try writing a log entry after the attack?
[close]

cat

nevermind, found another link in the completed game thread

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk