MAGS October: Steampunk! (Winner Announced)

Started by Dualnames, Wed 30/09/2009 15:41:31

Previous topic - Next topic

arj0n

tzachs

Quote from: frogking on Tue 27/10/2009 20:05:20
@tzachs

Spoiler
Yes I fixed the bulb, and I think I need to use the screw driver on the safe at some point in the game but it is not yet "the time"
[close]
Arrmm, haven't you
Spoiler
talked with the boss about everything?  ???  After talking with him about everything you should be able to use the screwdriver on the safe...
[close]

And glad you like my game ;D
Spoiler
Did you try writing a log entry after the attack?
[close]

No, I didn't, but now I'm gonna, thanks for the tip..  :D

discordance

Quote from: Helme on Tue 27/10/2009 12:11:51

@Discordance
I'm confused. Is there a new version with a save option? ???

Yes. Unless there isn't.

frogking

@tzachs

Yes I did, I think it may be a bug in the game which depends on the
order in which you do things (or some problem on saving and restoring?)

I now started over from the beginning and ...
Spoiler
... this time I could open the safe. Adlam is dead, I got the letter framing susan, I have 6 entries on my notes. I still can't enter Susans room through the window and I still don't know how to crack her. I ask about gun and show her the letter. The "Hint" button tells me I've got something in my notes but by now I must have tried every single word, even the silly ones.
[close]

BTW the game will crash if you use or look at notebook or note inventory item while they are being shown on screen.

bicilotti

frogking

Spoiler
try to open on the notebook and click on a single note
[close]

I don't know if that was what you were searching, but I was stuck there for a couple of minutes.

Helme

bicilotti

Quote from: Helme on Tue 27/10/2009 21:34:04
@tzachs

Spoiler
I couldn't find the screwdriver.
[close]

Helme
Spoiler
in your boss' room, right on the desk
[close]
Why?
Spoiler
because he's a perv
[close]

Helme

seems like I suffer some sort of screwdriver-blindness or there's a bug...

bicilotti

Quote from: Helme on Tue 27/10/2009 22:03:24
seems like a suffer some sort of screwdriver-blindness or there's a bug...

Or maybe it's too much 4 roses on my side

Spoiler
have you tried talking to the fellow outside the house? (go right once outdoor) and showing him the bulb?
[close]

tzachs

@frogking
Quote from: frogking on Tue 27/10/2009 21:21:20
@tzachs

Yes I did, I think it may be a bug in the game which depends on the
order in which you do things (or some problem on saving and restoring?)

Hmm, I can't reproduce that, do you happen to still have the savegame where this happens to you?

I now started over from the beginning and ...
Spoiler
... this time I could open the safe. Adlam is dead, I got the letter framing susan, I have 6 entries on my notes. I still can't enter Susans room through the window and I still don't know how to crack her. I ask about gun and show her the letter. The "Hint" button tells me I've got something in my notes but by now I must have tried every single word, even the silly ones.
[close]
Ok, for this you have to
Spoiler
ask about "gun" so that Susan will say she has no gun, then show her the note which says she has a gun (like bicliotti implied), and also show her the letter... you can show the letter before or after, it doesn't matter, it will still work.
[close]
BTW the game will crash if you use or look at notebook or note inventory item while they are being shown on screen.
Nice catch, thanks for that. I'm uploading a new version now and I will edit this post (and PM dual) when there's a new version. I uploaded a new version with the fix. I also tried to add some precaution measures for the first bug, hopefully that would do the trick...

@Helme:
Spoiler
The screwdriver will be in Adlam's office, only after you've "cracked" Mclassen (the guy outside)...
[close]

@Bicliotti
Why?
Spoiler
because he's a perv
[close]
Who, me? Perhaps...  ;D

bicilotti

Quote@Bicliotti
Why?
Spoiler
because he's a perv
[close]
Who, me? Perhaps...  ;D

Naaa, the boss :P Also, this few posts have a moral: if you're not Leon, don't pretend to be like him :(

frogking

@bicilotti

thanks, that was my problem

@tzachs

ok finished it with three different endings. Nice game!

Regarding the problem with the safe I either dreamed it or it went away after restarting, now I can open the safe even with the old savegame ... or should I say safegame ;)

tzachs

Quote from: frogking on Tue 27/10/2009 23:34:15
ok finished it with three different endings. Nice game!
That's great, thanks frogking!  :)
Spoiler
You know there are actually 4 endings, but I counted the one you die as an ending too, so maybe you did all 4 of them...
[close]
Regarding the problem with the safe I either dreamed it or it went away after restarting, now I can open the safe even with the old savegame ... or should I say safegame ;)
That's good to know...
I'm going to sleep now, I hope I'll have 'safe' dreams  ;D

Leon

@discordance:

I'm stuck at the end. I can't find a save-option, no matter what download link I use.
Spoiler
I can't get the machine to work. I put in the petrol, the fuel, flipped the switch, turned the lights, played the harpsichord but.. nothing.
[close]
What to do?
Ultimate Game Solutions - Because there is a solution for everything

Dualnames

At this time all entries are patched with their last versions. At least those I was informed.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

tzachs

@Babar: I finished Samarkand. I liked the concept, story, theme and music to match, nice one...

Some bugs:
Spoiler

1. In the right wall with the pond, if you go under the window you'll walk behind the wall...
2. In the same place, I used the strings and died. I then did a restart (since I haven't saved...), and did the story again, but he didn't let me hear the story of the inventor again, somehow he knew it wasn't safe...
3. After the end, the game doesn't quit (or maybe I haven't waited long enough...)?
[close]

Babar

Thanks for the report, tzachs! Fixed up everything you said, except..

I don't quite understand your 3rd point, though, can you please explain?
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

tzachs

Sure..

Spoiler
I finish the game... the screen turns black, the music keeps running, and that's it... I have to kill the process to exit..
[close]

Babar

Damn...Why did I think there were 4 points? I meant what does your SECOND point mean? :D
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Helme

I made my vote!

Some rather undetailed thoughts on the entries:

Trial of the Schnellersparrow by Pinback
Spoiler
Easy to say it is the most beautiful entry. What I didn't like is that much is that the puzzles were very technical and there is not much social interaction with other characters.
[close]

The Energizer by tzachs
Spoiler
Clever invenstivative gameplay, but for me it didn't feel that immersive and there wasn't much of a steampunk-feeling in the game.
[close]

The Chronomancers by discordance
Spoiler
I like the extremly simple graphics. The story is quite simply and naiv, but in a very cool way.
It's hard to say why exactly, but it's very likeable. But it seems like a bug didn't make me finish the game.
[close]

Ted McBinky and his Steam Engine by FSi
Spoiler
I count it as a adventure parody. No real puzzles but it made confused and made me laugh at some times, so that's what pardodies should do.
[close]

Steamsquares by cat
Spoiler
Hard to judge, since it's not an adventure. Solid gameplay.
[close]

Steam Trek: Clueless around Risa by frogking
Spoiler
At first I thought the game didn't look good and is quite boring, but after I finished some puzzles I found lots of good humour in it and really did enjoy it. The funniest entry!
[close]

Samarkand by Babar
Spoiler
Nice to see a game that actually uses my wide definition of steampunk. I like the setting, the mechanics... well everything. But it's simply much to short.
[close]

One Of A Kind by Crimson Wizard
Spoiler
Very likeable setting and characters. But I had big problems solving puzzles. There were simply to many items, the inventory size is very small. Maybe there are to few hints or I'm just not clever enough for the game. Maybe I'm just exhausted by playing that many adventures in that short time.
[close]

Ex Machina by SomeSickSelf
Spoiler
Man, you know how to tell stories! I think your game was very immersive and I really wanted to know what will happen next. The puzzles are easier than in most other entries, but that's a good thing, since I wanted to continue the story. By the way, good visuals.
[close]

I voted for
Spoiler
Ex Machina. Because of the immersive story.
[close]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk