I'm the host of the week.
The purpose of Hourgame Saturday is, to encourage the amateur game-making, or to put it bluntly, to make you tear your ass off your chair and finally make something.
In this activity your task is to make an AGS game within a strict and a very short deadline (i.e. one hour). Timeline:
The event takes place every (surely hope so) Saturday, starting at 7:00 pm GMT, when the theme is revealed on the IRC and in this thread. The participants then have one hour to make their entries and 15 more minutes for uploading. In brief: the deadline for entries is 8:15 pm.
Then the voting takes place till the Monday Morning (since I can't use internet on Sunday afternoons, that's what we'll have to settle with). Basic rules:
- Participants should join IRC for rules and updates, but stickam/tokbox is fine as long as there's someone to relay the information. (crap, I hadn't noticed this rule!)
- The theme is set by the previous week's winner and by the contest's host in event of his/her absence.
- While it is not forbidden for the theme-setters to participate in the activity, their games cannot be voted for (to prevent accusations of cheating and to discourage regular participation).
- Instead, theme-setters are encouraged to draw trophies for the contest's winners.
- Making your game from scratch is strongly encouraged, though it is not forbidden to use music or artwork from public sources if you are allowed to (e.g. using public domain music tracks in your game is OK, but not really necessary). It is also possible to use a pre-existent AGS template for your game (e.g. that Verb-Coin GUI template).
- You cannot use the stuff you've made earlier, because this competition is about making something new. Uploading:
Suggested hosts to upload your entry to are:
- Or your own place. Voting:
Just tell us your favourite game (and possibly a couple of less favourite ones), and hopefully someone will do the counting.
The competition is going to start approximately 24 hours after this post, when I announce the theme.
I am trying to create a new FTP account in my hosting space so that the participants will be able to upload their games there instead of the free (and probably slower) hosts. I will update this topic as soon as I prepare them (yes, I have misunderstood the concept of hosting
. Of course uploading to my space is not a rule, it's just something that I thought to be helpful.