The Energizer - MAGS Oct 09 Entry

Started by tzachs, Mon 26/10/2009 21:57:57

Previous topic - Next topic

tzachs

This is an entry for the Oct 09 MAGS competiton.

Story
-------

The year: 1902.
England and France are at war.
An ugly war, a war you can't even remember why it started.
Both sides show equal strengths, so it's hard to tell when it will end.
That's where the 'energizer' comes into play.
The English has developed it, and it can do wonders.
With this machine, the English will have the advantage and will win the war in a matter of months.
However, the English are afraid...
They're afraid that the French will steal it...
They put it in a desolated, unknown place, but that was not enough.
A few months ago, they received some information that the French intend to steal it. So they called me to service.
That is why I'm here, in this station, in charge of the safety of the 'energizer'.
So far, I've been here for nothing. Nothing has hapenned. I am out of work for 4 months.
Until this night. I was asleep in my bed when all of a sudden...

Screenshots
----------------

Features
-----------

4 different endings, depending on your actions.
A hero in his pajamas.
A bagpipe.
A unique interrogation mode (see third screenshot)

Changes Log
----------------
Version 1.0 - First version
Version 1.1 - Increased walk speed
Version 1.2 - Fix bug (using items when notebook is visible)
Version 1.3 (11/1/10) - Improved GUIs, fix some bad logic

Almost forgot to say thanks to
--------------------------------------

Chris Jones, for the AGS engine.
SSH and StevenMcrea, for the walkcycle generator.

Download the game here.

A link to the old version 1.2 can be found here.

And a side note
--------------------

I wanted to share the story of one of the characters in the game.
My sister, who now lives in Scotland, bought me a doll of a "haggis". It was a very cute doll and we named it "Mclassen". Soon after arrival, Mclassen began to speak and develop a personality, and have several popular catch phrases.
The "Mclassen" character in the game is inspired by this doll: it's looks, personality and talking style...
Here is a side-by-side view of the "Mclassens"...

Well, that's it, I'm done sharing, enjoy the game...  :)

If you've got the time, please play this and the other MAGS games (there's a lot to play and not a lot of time), and then vote away...

bicilotti

I've played your game and found some ideas rather cool (puzzles, interrogation mode, characters).

The only complaint I have is that the whole things runs too slow. And with slow I mean the main character walk-speed :P!

Something similar happened in my first AGS game and I think it's becuase we (as creators) know our game and its walkthrough by heart.
Playing a new game, rather than playing the game you have created, eats up much more time and any kind of delay can be a little frustrating.

Other than that, well developed entry, great premise, nice execution. Keep making games!

tzachs

Thanks for that input bicliotti  :)

I uploaded a new version with a faster walk-speed.

cat

Game did crash when

Spoiler
clicking somewhere in inventory during interrogation
[close]

in globalscript.asc line 434
Error SetActiveInventory: Character doesn't have any of that inventory

tzachs

Hi cat, thanks for the input, this bug is already solved.
Spoiler
it was not during interrogation, but specifically when the notebook is visible...
[close]

If you'll download the latest version it should work...

Crimson Wizard

Allright, I finished the game with four endings, but I am not sure they are the actual 4 endings, because 2 endings look too similar on result:
Spoiler

1) shot Maddock in the interrogation room
2) shot Maddock in the lab
3) waited until Maddock break the energizer
4) being short by Maddock in the lab
[close]
Did I miss anything?

Also, I want to say I actually enjoyed interrogation part. At first it seemed too confusing, and I got completely stuck without successfully interogating anyone, but then I finaly realized that
Spoiler

success depend on the order of questions.
[close]
After I guess that, game was passed very swiftly :)

tzachs

Thanks, Crimson, and no, you didn't miss anything...
The difference between the 2 endings (and I assume you mean the first two) is
Spoiler
When you shoot him in the interrogation room you get the 'naive' ending, since you don't know the whole truth. He's the bad guy, you're the good guy and you saved the day. The second ending, when you shoot him in the lab, is after he told you the 'energizer' was actually their invention... So in this ending you're in a position that you helped your country because it's what you had to do, but you're not naive, you know that you are not the 100% good guys you thought you were...
[close]

And btw, I'm still stuck in your game,
Spoiler
I got the first key from the library, having trouble getting the second one. I got the circle wood with glue on it and don't know what to do from here...
[close]
But don't worry, I haven't given up yet...  :)

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: tzachs on Thu 29/10/2009 18:24:17
And btw, I'm still stuck in your game,
Spoiler
I got the first key from the library, having trouble getting the second one. I got the circle wood with glue on it and don't know what to do from here...
[close]
But don't worry, I haven't given up yet...  :)
Well, this is not a place to answer on this; I suggest if you got really stuck maybe you can check few spoilers in my games' thread, I mentioned this puzzle there at least once (one guy had same problem).

tzachs

Bump for the sake of updating on a newer version with improved GUIs and fixes for story logic. I wanted to do that some time ago and finally found the time...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk