Black and white. (adult content warning)

Started by Jim Reed, Sun 13/12/2009 16:49:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Reed

2x

3x

I'm sure there is room for improvement. The right-most one is pretty bad, especially the left leg =(

Can someone point out what my eyes don't see, please?

GarageGothic

Wow, I really dig this style. Reminds me of old ZX Spectrum games like Skool Daze. Apart from the leg on the girl to the right, that you point out yourself, I can't really see anything wrong with them. You manage very well to convey the characters as individuals despite them not having faces.

I'm no pixel artist, but to fix the leg I would recommend getting rid of the double pixels on the thigh and try to soften up the bend at the knee (even simplify it to a straight line).

Jim Reed

3x

Like this? Is it any better? I'm to subjective to see.

EDIT: is it my browser, or this image now has grey pixels? (they shouldn't be there)

Disco

This is quite good spritework here, though I did do a little paintover to make the "black and white" element a little less ambiguous:

2x

3x

Ilyich

Love the black & white style, I think it works really well as it is.

As for the criticism - the bodies of two guys in the middle seem too barrel-like to me, a bit of variety wouldn't hurt. The same goes for women's breasts - they are too symmetrical, it's almost like they're pointing in different directions. :)

Otherwise, these are great, well done!

uoou

Pinback

Those look really awesome, you gave them a hell of a lot of character considering they are B&W whih blank faces. I can't see any glaring errors. Maybe tweak the leg on No.6 though.

Jim Reed

3x

Thank you all for the praise, you are spoiling me. ;D

Anyway, I need criticism, please. Nitpick a bit! Do some edits! (haha) Should  I add colour? How to fix the breasts? I played with the breasts many times  ;) but I couldn't make them look better. The leg is quite bad, I know, but after 20 edits you just lose perspective. =(

I'll try a few new ideas, maybe they'll work.

Ilyich

I was thinking of something along these lines:
x3

Regarding colouring them - that depends on how they're going to be used, but I think they are perfectly fine as it is. :)

And the new one is Mr. Awesome :)

Jim Reed

Thanks Ilyich, the breast look better, much better now.

On another note, pixelart without colour is really hard, because you can't have many lines and still have a easy visible image. Those brasts would be a piece of cake, if I could draw a shadow under them. My advice: doing b&w requires a bigger resolution, unlike with colour pixelart whee many pixels equals more time at drawing thus more work. Yes, you'll draw more b&w pixels also, but it's easier/simpler to do so.
Making the resolution smaller, b&w becomes almost impossible.

Offcourse, I'm learning all this the hard way.

Danman

This my version
I fixed the elbow.
I fixed The uh chest  :)
But maybe llyich did that better

I like the style the skin is colored and the body is black & white. that looks really good.
Gives them lots of character.  ;)

Crimson Wizard

I am not a great artist hey what the heck!

I wanted to tell previously but was too lazy too, anyway, last girl's right leg bothers me a little. I think you can add one extra white pixel to the shoe, either from left or right side as you did to girl number 5 (left leg there).

EDIT: Erm, Danman, you made her right leg.... like cut off. :S
And actually I believe Reed's original breast was nicer. This one looks like she has HUGE ones, and is naked.

EDIT2: Comparing Reed's and Ilyich, uh forms, I cannot decide which is better though...

Scarab

I had a go at my interpretation if these sprites

Changes:
  • Added Eyes. I was thinking mostly about in-game usability, and just adding eyes can allow infinitely more expression to a character than blank faces. (No expression, however, can have its benefits also).
  • Played around with the blonde girl's breasts (heehee). Added a cheeky bit of cleavage. (also part of the reason I added eyes... in an effort to subjectify her a bit).
  • Moved Blonde's legs one pixel to the right and adjusted skirt to match.
  • Modified far leg of girl on far right to have more of a subtle knee.
  • Raised head of 4th from right (she looked to me a bit like she was lifting her shoulders up around her neck) , and made her jacket less puffy. Also Changed the hair a bit.
  • Added a bit of shine to the 2nd from the right, to try and break up the solid blackness.
  • Moved buttons a bit on no. 1.

Just trying to throw out some ideas..

Peace
    Scarab

Danman

there I fixed the leg (maybe I should stop playing gory games)  :)
This is how I would draw the chest of of it was my character.  :)
and i probably ruined the shoulder oh well sorry.

I have to say it is actually very hard drawing in b&w. and low res like this.
Anyway I suck at art this was just me trying to help. just giving an idea on improving this pic.  ;D

Crimson Wizard

Now it looks lke she has a sad face with eye-glasses on her body  :o ;D

Jim Reed

2x

3x

I mixed it all up, making it piece by piece from your suggestions, also added this tall, big, Jamaican b-ball player.

EDIT: #5 got a new shirt neck line, and I fixed some stray pixels on the baller. Also earlier, I gave some growing pills to #1 and a new cap for #4
I think I'm doing good for now. Maybe the ball could be better...

Danman

Looking good I like the new character too but I think you should make the shorts wider on him When I first looked I thought they were knees ( or maybe that was just me eyes :) ) .

Jim Reed

I'm posting way too many images here.

Aded some touch-ups.

Scarab

In regards to the second last guy, I think his head should be one pixel higher, and the highest row of back muscle pixels should be deleted.

Apart from that, just remember that when you flip the sprites, the light source is reversed, so you may want to re-do the highlights on them.

Peace

Evil

Yesterday I made a few characters based on what you already had. Just remembered now that I hadn't posted them. Yours look pretty good, I just thought I'd take a stab. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk