MAGS February: Chunky Salsa (Winner Announced!)

Started by Dualnames, Fri 29/01/2010 21:09:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Dualnames

What is MAGS?
MAGS is a monthly competition for all amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to use AGS to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner.

For more information please visit the Official MAGS website.

Why should I enter MAGS?
We're not here to tell you that you should enter MAGS, but merely allow it as a creative opportunity to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and generally as a good kick-start for the new comers.

MAGS is the perfect opportunity to make a game, and the wonderful prize is to announce the next month's rules, and all competitors get the game placed on the MAGS website.

MAGS is meant to be fun and is aimed at everyone, despite their skill. If you have poor art skills work on graphics, and vice-versa, as the voting is based on "favorite" games, and not the most artistic. You may get help for the competition, as long as you end up doing something yourself. You should however be warned that it should prove hard to organize a big team within 25 days.

You are not allowed to (re)use material already created before this competition, you game must be completely new! An exception goes for sounds and music where you can also use free material that is available to the public. Modules and templates are allowed.

Please do not just enter the competition with a rushed entry (a game created in just some hours)

This means that you can make a game and rush it, but don't do it to just win by default.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Topic: Chunky Salsa:

This month's guidelines were set by last month's winner discordance:

- Blood feuds.
- The power of love.
- Eldritch abominations.
- Farmers.
- Beards of unusual size.
- Chunky salsa.
- An ancient war.

Super bonus points if you somehow manage to use all of them.(..secret...)

Thread Rules:

1)  Comments are allowed at all times but should be hidden before and while the voting.

2)  Participators are allowed to patch their games even while the voting but I should be informed via pm or here, and only IF the game has a serious bug that makes it crash. Due to the inability of keeping track of versions of the games, I've settled to this.

3) It would be wiser to add the game to the AGS database, so you can easily do changes to the game, while the voting is going on, without having to inform me at all.

So you can patch your game, if it crashes or if it can't be completed.

Have fun this month too!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Results

Game: The Quest of the Holy Salsa
Author Tzachs and Jakerpot

Foreword

This monthly competition starts sooner! Yes, only 28 days, but I'm always into giving you guys a headstart!
discordance has mentioned that if you match all of his requirements, there will be some bonus points..ask him and not me! Perhaps we can give you guys some votes.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

SomeSickSelf

No replies yet?  I've been meaning to do another MAGS game for a while, hopefully this will be my month.  Anyone else planning something?

Crimson Wizard

Can someone explain me, what's "Chunky Salsa", please?  ::)
And how  "Blood feuds", "Eldritch abominations", etc, are relevant to it?

Not sure I may participate anyway; I have two projects currently, one of which is announced and another one will be announced after a while, and I am dead serious about finishing them.

Jakerpot

I can do backgrounds for anyone, please PM me!

What is Chunky Salsa btw?

Charity

Salsa is a type of dip, often with tomatoes, cilantro, peppers, onion, lime, etc.  Typically associated with Latin-American cooking.  Chunky salsa is salsa with larger than usual pieces of solid vegetable matter in it.

My guess is the point here is to combine disparate elements into your story, in the hope of getting some unique and inventive (or at least random and quirky) results.  Chunky salsa is merely one item from the list that, being atypical as a major element in the Adventure genre, best represents the theme as a whole.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

All this and more could have easily been learned by using google.

tzachs

Quote from: ProgZmax on Mon 01/02/2010 05:33:48
All this and more could have easily been learned by using google.
Google? What's that?  :P

Seriously now, I am planning something, I hope I will complete it after I choked last month...
Jakerpot, sent you a pm.

Goldfish

If only one person enters again, is this going to just turn into a pathetic win-by-default kind of thing? In which case it isn't a competition, it's just a horribly misleading sheltered workshop kind of thing.

ie, the winner certainly WON'T be credibility...

SomeSickSelf

Goldfish, I agree, but there doesn't seem to be a way around it; you can't force people to enter unless you want a bunch of unfinished games, and you can't really not have a winner cause there won't be anyone to make the next theme.  I guess winning by default is more of a "congratulations for finishing" rather than a "your game was best" sort of thing.

I do hope we get some decent competition this time around, maybe now that the holidays are over people will have more time.

Vukul

So, if Tzachs is making something... I hope, me too :) At least, there're two of us :)
I can't promise anything though, but the plot is already worked out and designed - all the work now for backgrounds, characters etc. etc.

NsMn

I will also (maybe) get a make an entry this time! Hooray.
And since non-adventure MAGS games seem to be modern at this time, I'll also make one.

SpacePaw

How about le chuck's beard adventures in guybrush's coat pockets? :) Action would take place between MI 1 and MI 2 :D

Jasmine

For some reason, my brain has become attached to the combination of eldritch abominations + chunky salsa + beards of unusual size, and it's not pretty.  Thank you SO much.  (Now maybe it'll actually come up with an idea for a game...)

discordance

But don't forget about the power of love.

Jasmine

And here is what happens when I go to sleep thinking about this sort of thing:

The Montalets and Capagues are farming families who’ve been in a peppers-vs.-tomatoes blood feud since the Old War.  Is it any surprise that their youngest members, Jules and Roma, fell instantly in love when they met at last year’s farmers’ market rumble?
Join Jules and Roma on their quest, with the occasional help of the Bearded Man, to prove that true love - and chunky salsa - can defeat the most horrible abomination ever to walk the earth.

If I actually get this done, I want super bonus points, discordance  ;D

discordance

I will name my firstborn child after you.

Jakerpot

Already doing backgrounds and stuff... Wait for our entry!  :=

deadsuperhero

Might actually participate in this one, for once.
The fediverse needs great indie game developers! Find me there!

Jakerpot

Well, i finished the backgrounds... Now its up to tzachs to do the rest...

tzachs

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk