Dreaded walkcycle

Started by LRH, Tue 02/02/2010 01:51:11

Previous topic - Next topic

LRH

I've been getting a ton of help from pals on IRC (especially JimBob) but I'm just having one heck of an awful time trying to animate the poor guy! I've tried so many times but it just isn't working out. Here's the only two frames I've got.

Can anyone give advice or help?

Grim

First thing I noticed is this:

his left leg goes back and so does his left arm. It should be right arm going back. (unless he's a soldier parading)

So, it goes like this- left arm back, left leg moves forward
                                right arm back, right leg moves forward

I'm not sure I am making myself clear...it's 5 am here but I felt like I had to post here.:)

LRH

Woops. You're right. I swapped them.

Let me add that to the list of things that need work on this walkcycle...  :-[

Speaking of that, I'm concerned with how his legs move too.

Goldfish

Quote from: Domithan on Tue 02/02/2010 01:51:11
Can anyone give advice or help?

That's a quickie, but he's a bit more lively looking this way. Not so lego - ish. :)

LRH

That's pretty good. His left leg looks a little funny to me though. What I mean to say is, I wouldn't really know how to continue from there.

Goldfish

I wasn't posting for a critique. You asked for help, remember?  ::)

Or do you want me to just do a down walk cycle for you? I am quite happy to, but if that's what you want just ask. Gritting my teeth through all this passive aggressive behaviour is too exhausting for me I am afraid.

LRH

Oh, sorry. Well yes, a full cycle would be lovely, but I was just asking for ... I don't know. Further help? I guess?

*Sigh* I'm very sorry. Animating is a whole new world to me and I'm not exactly sure WHAT I want. I'm just fed up with trying several hours over and over again to make something, and each and every time, mine comes out like garbage. Even the first few I've posted were modified versions of some great work JimBob helped me with.

I suppose if you were to do the entire animation, I wouldn't have really gained much.

I would have a good looking down animation, but then I wouldn't know how to draw one up, left, right, etc. and I'm certainly not going to ask anyone to do all of those for me.

tzachs

LRH

Quote from: tzachs on Tue 02/02/2010 22:31:30
Have you seen this?

http://www.idleworm.com/how/anm/02w/walk1.shtml

*Ahem.* Nope  :-X

I'll play with this and see what I can do, then post what I've got. Thank you.

LRH

Alright, I've got something that at least resembles walking now...

He looks a bit robotic, though.

R4L

It's a nice start. However he could use some bounce in his step.

LRH

Like this  ???

I don't really know...
Also I know the animation speed is fast, he won't be going that fast I just don't know how to control the speed as a gif file...which is probably something I could google in about 3 seconds, but it's 2:43AM right now, so maybe tomorrow.

EDIT: Also, Goldfish, if you're still reading this...
Sorry. I misread what you said earlier, I didn't mean to offend. I just don't think your style would be compatible with mine is all.

Tuomas

Hiya.

It's a nice running cycle, but with walking as you said yourself, it should be slower. What you could also do is reduce the swaying of the hands,  usually when you walk, ,the hands move a lot less and don't come up in a 90 degree...

Scarab

Quote from: Domithan on Wed 03/02/2010 07:26:20
Like this  ???

He appears to be Square Gaiting
I think you should read the above post by Grim Reaper again.  ;)

EDIT

Quote from: Calin Leafshade on Wed 03/02/2010 09:57:07
He's not square gaiting...  ??? His left arm moves forward as his left leg moves back... or am i reading the sprite wrong?

Wow, looking at the cycle again... You're right.

I saw the leg as moving forwards, not backwards, in fact at a casual glance, I still do.
I do not know what to suggest to help the distinction though. :-\

Calin Leafshade

He's not square gaiting...  ??? His left arm moves forward as his left leg moves back... or am i reading the sprite wrong?

Jim Reed

here's a dirty and quick take on it:

You might wanna delete the black outlines or something to make it look better. I just painted this so you can see which arm and leg goes where and when.
I hope it helps.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk