AGS Book is here!

Started by densming, Tue 09/02/2010 00:56:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Nickydude

Working my way through the book I've noticed one or two spelling / grammatical errors, nothing major and you've probably spotted them by now but just thought I'd let you know. :)
Best Regards,
Nickydude
www.madladdesigns.co.uk

AGS Beginner's Guide - All you'll ever need!

densming

Thanks to everyone for the positive feedback so far.  I've already had some folks give me some editing help and suggestions (cat, NickyDude, Mods, limeTree, and especially Ethan Damschroder who gave me a whole pageful of corrections!).  And thank you to everyone who has posted to say that the videos were helpful.

Quote from: DarkestMaiden on Mon 01/03/2010 00:54:49
Do you mind if I ask you a few questions about AGS? You seem to really know your stuff.
Sure, ask away.  There are lots of folks here on the forums who know AGS much better than me, so someone is bound to be able to help.  I would ask that any technical help be put into a separate post or PM, so that this thread doesn't get off-topic :-)

Quote from: Hueij on Sun 28/02/2010 22:18:55
Thanks for ruining (sp?) a what promised to be perfect weekend...  ;D
Hey, no problem.  I'm always looking for anything I can do to mitigate would-be productive time. :-P

Quote from: Mods on Sun 21/02/2010 12:21:15
And bonus points for using drop.io :)
Yep, great resource, that.

My only comment would be that the intro ends a little short, it'd be good to see you promote how the scene has developed since the millenium - how companies like Wadjet Eye have changed the scene thanks to AGS, etc. The book reminds me of those Guerilla Film Maker's blueprint books, and they feature case studies with film-makers - I think some case studies with some AGS developers would really make it that much more interesting to read.
I agree about the intro.  Not only that, but I feel that the intro paints a picture of AGS that seems dated by the way I've presented it, and that wasn't the intent.  That needs to be changed.  I like your idea about case studies, and there are plenty of great AGS games that I didn't mention which deserve to be mentioned.  There's so much stuff, it's difficult to know where to start and how it should be organized.  I don't really want the intro to be huge, but on the other hand I want it to do a good job in describing AGS and the community behind it in a way that gets people excited about writing games.

None the less, very good job, it must have taken a while!
George and I only work on this 1 day per week for a couple of hours, so yeah, it's taken a year to get this far...

If anyone wants to help work on this, please let me know.  We're open to volunteers who want to contribute in any way.  Maybe I'll put a post up in the Recruit a Team board as well.

THANK YOU everyone who has given feedback! It's very helpful!

Knox

Hey Densming,

Hopefully you can update your book as AGS updates...Im not sure if Im mistaken but there are lots of features added/changed since the release of your youtube videos.

If somehow you could keep updating your vids/pdf, man, this is extremely awesome!
--All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

Nickydude

Might be an idea in the header of each page to include the chapter number?
Best Regards,
Nickydude
www.madladdesigns.co.uk

BlueAngel

Would not be here without your videos, love the book!  ;D
It takes up so much more, waiting impatiently for the next part.  ;)

Wonkyth

This could very possibly become the definitive Hitch-Hikers Guide to AGS. ;)
I'd probably buy a hard-copy of this, assuming it will have some moderate-level technical stuff, as I love having a paper reference manual handy.
"But with a ninja on your face, you live longer!"

LanceBotelle

Hi densming,

Just to let you know (as requested) that I did just sit and watch all 44 of your videos (yesterday and today), and downloaded your manual to read at a later date.  :)

I have been into adventure writing programs for years (P.A.W and ADLAN at first) and moved on as programs moved on, with such editors as ShockEd and currently NWN2. However, I have always had a love of adventure games and so curiosity brings me back to the AGS now and then.

I am still working on my own NWN2 project at the moment, but may well come and try my hand at adventure writing using the AGS now that you have put together a comprehensive guide (in video and PDF format).

Anyway, just to say I appreciated all your work to date, and may get to play some good old adventures in thenear future.

All the best,
Lance.

My blog if your ever passing by .... http://worldofalthea.blogspot.com/

Nickydude

I hope this is still going, I'd hate for it to be abandoned. :)
Best Regards,
Nickydude
www.madladdesigns.co.uk

WarpEngineer

I assure you the project is alive and well. We're getting close to the end and it's getting exciting.

Terrorcell

Perhaps a few AGS script gurus could get together and discuss another book, similar to that of Densming's book, based purely on programming within AGS? It would certainly help beginners who prefer the scripting side of AGS.

Just a thought. :)

Great work Densming

Nickydude

Any more videos coming densming?
Best Regards,
Nickydude
www.madladdesigns.co.uk

barefoot

Hi

i note that the link to book no longer availabe...

barefoot
I May Not Be Perfect but I Have A Big Heart ..

densming

Quote from: barefoot on Fri 07/01/2011 19:20:42
Hi

i note that the link to book no longer availabe...

barefoot

Yeah, I guess drop.io deleted the book for some reason.  Anyway, I've got it hosted on our site now at http://www.ensadi.com/ensadi/AGSBook.pdf.  I've updated the original post with this new link.  Thanks for letting me know.

While I'm here, I guess I should give a status of the book.  We've got a lot of Part 2 done, but we haven't finished yet.  We took a break from AGS book writing (as well as the YouTube tutorials) while George and I were working on other things (like iPhone and BlackBerry apps).  Since AGS is now going open source, there will likely be some big changes coming down the pike which might make some of the things in the book outdated. We'll just have to wait and see I guess!  I'm excited to see what happens to AGS in the future.

densming

Mati256

My Blog! (En Español)

Ian Moone

This couldn't have come at a better time for a newcomer to AGS. I'll definitely take a look and provide feedback...befor e I get started though I want to give the AGS supplied doc a complete read through first so I capture that absolute basics and to familiarize myself with the api.

Saren

I would be willing to pay cold, hard cash for that finished book.

albertisland88

Hi man, how are you, seems like you know a lot of AGS script, can you tell me how to use the PlayVideo function? I want to play a video on my game and i don't know what i have to do to play the video on Room 1 as an intro to the game.

straydogstrut

This thread is for updates on Densming's book, not individual scripting queries, so this might not be the best place for getting a response.

You could try searching the forums for existing topics that may answer your queries or read about the function in the manual. Failing that, you could start a new thread stating the exact problem you are having.

Good luck=)

NickyNyce

The you tube videos were great for getting started and the book helped to have on the side for a handy guide, cant wait for the next part...it's mind boggling that there is not a full book about AGS out on the market...i would buy it instantly.

If not for the you tube videos and AGS half complete book, i never would have got a grasp on AGS, so thanks so much for taking the time to help a ton of people get into AGS...Adventure fan forever

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk