Background Blitz: Culture Vulture - Ended

Started by Matt Frith, Wed 10/02/2010 15:04:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt Frith

Hello I have come from the future where all the world has become engulfed in a nuclear winter (So stunningly portrayed by the one known as "FSi" in the last competition you know as the "Background Blitz"). We love to make point and click adventures as we understand these were one of the most popular forms of entertainment.  However, our people were wondering what the world was like in the time before the Great Cold so we can make some games.  

Therefore, we would like you to draw us some backgrounds representing the cultures of earth.  You are free to choose whatever culture you wish to represent, whether it be the Pagoda stylings of Japan or ancient stone temples of the Maya. Or even something to do with Soviet Russia!   As long as it is clear what culture you are representing, we will be happy.

There are no limitations with resolution or colour although I must ask that they are usable in the program known as "Adventure Game Studio".

You have until the 24th day of the 2nd month.

I will draw some appropriate trophies at some point to bribe you to enter...

Jakerpot

No entries???  >:( >:( >:(
May be i will do something...

Jenn

Jenn

I've clearly intimidated the competition.

Snarky

If you give it another couple of days, I might enter. I have an idea...

joelphilippage

The culture of North America

I always thought this would be a cool Quest for Glory game.

Matt Frith

I'm happy to extend it a couple of days if everyone else is.  Nice entries btw :)

Matt Frith

It seems Snarky is close to finishing his entry so might as well wait...

Snarky

I don't consider this background finished, but I figure I've held up the blitz for long enough. My background illustrates the little-known Muslim Vikings:

"In 948 AD, Magnus Nailbiter, son of the Lord of Grenland, sailed for Miklagard (Constantinople) to join the Emperor's Varangian guard. However, on the way his ship was attacked by Saracens, and Magnus was taken captive. For fifteen years he lived as a slave among the Arabs. He rose to a position of trusted lieutenant, converted to Islam, and eventually was granted his freedom. Returning home with a copy of the Koran and three Moorish scribes and scholars, he slew his older brother, took the throne and set out to build Scandinavia's first mosque..."

I imagine the game to be set 50 years later, as the petty kingdom of Grenland is threatened by King Olaf Haraldson of Norway, who wants to incorporate it into his realm, convert it to Christianity, and burn the mosque to the ground.

In the game, the background would pan down to the playable area in a cutscene, like so:

Update: Slightly more polished version. The rune stone reads: "magnus - litu rita stin þino - allahu akbar -allahu akbar," which means (if I got it right) "Magnus had this stone erected. God is great! God is great!" The eight-pointed star in the center (copied from the Alhambra) reads (literally) "Help God" in Arabic.

Jakerpot

Matt Frith

So I guess I can begin the voting.  Here are the voting categories:

Idea - How well does the background depict the culture/cultures in question?
Technique - How well rendered is the background in the chosen style?
Usefullnes - Which would be best suited for an AGS game?

You vote now!!!

Until the end of the 3rd March (GMT)

LRH

Idea: Jenn
Technique: Snarky
Usefulness: Joel

REALLY hard to sort the three into those categories, I honestly really like each of them.

Matt Frith

I will add my vote too...

Idea: Snarky - I love this unconventional mixture of cultures.  Your description makes it sound so plausible.
Technique: Jenn - Very consistent throughout.  Love the use of vibrant colours!
Usefulness: Joel - I agree very much about it being a Quest for Glory style background. Good.

The three entries are all lovely.  I am happy. HAPPY!

Cuiki

Idea - Snarky
Technique - Snarky
Usefullnes - joelphilippage

Nice entries. I particularly like Snarky's one. Amazing details, composition, shading... A masterpiece, really :)
Hmm..it's kinda steep. But with a sled I can slide down the slope.

Matt Frith

Snarky

Err... goodbye? And thanks! I'll announce the next blitz shortly.

Quote from: cuiki on Mon 01/03/2010 17:32:19
Nice entries. I particularly like Snarky's one. Amazing details, composition, shading... A masterpiece, really :)

Thank you, that's very kind. I see a number of problems with it, but I do think it's the best background I've done yet. I was quite happy with how the runestone came out, in particular.

The other two entries were also really good. I especially like Jenn's: at first glance it looks a bit childish with the strong cartoon colors and the thick brush strokes, but when you really look at it you see that it's a well-drawn picture in a bold style. Hope to see more of that.

And joel, I like your choice of motif and your palette. I think it's really well suited to an adventure game because there's a lot of interesting things to look at and possible interactions to attempt. It would benefit from some more work: I can't quite make out what everything is, for example the diagonal gray/spotted-brown section on the cliff face.

Kweepa

I see great improvements in joelphilippage's and Snarky's artwork. Huzzah!
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk