The Quest For The Holy Salsa (MAGS 02/10 Winner)

Started by tzachs, Wed 24/02/2010 23:29:42

Previous topic - Next topic

tzachs

The Quest For The Holy Salsa

There is an on-going blood feud between the humans and the abominations.
You play as Eldritch, a young abomination, who is chosen by the 'High One' to infiltrate
the human camp, and fetch what the legend describes as their sacred item which is also the source to their power:
The Holy Chunky Salsa!

In your quest, according to the legend (written in the book of the ancient war), you will have to overcome three obstacles:
The mighty guard, The angry farmers and the Test Of the Beards Of Different Sizes.
You will also discover the true power of love.

Backgrounds were made by the amazing Jakerpot.

Download (17.5MB)

LRH

I haven't finished but I do really like it so far, it's very interesting and the puzzles are challenging.

Anian

Fun, the new mechanics were kind of hard at first but all in all, it was fun.
I don't want the world, I just want your half

Jakerpot

david

finished..
a very creative inovative entry   ;D
great job guys  :D
one thing: the green panel on top of the screen (i don't know how this is called in game language ::) but I mean the one where the Load, Save, Inventory is) is a little buggy because sometimes if you want to click on the inventory item the panel disappears. The same with Quit button. This one is a little annoying

But overall feeling:
very good... I advice to play it to everyone
Was the sound made by YOU tzachs? I like it

tzachs

Thanks guys, I'm glad you liked it.

Quote from: david on Fri 26/02/2010 07:24:14
finished..
one thing: the green panel on top of the screen (i don't know how this is called in game language ::) but I mean the one where the Load, Save, Inventory is) is a little buggy because sometimes if you want to click on the inventory item the panel disappears. The same with Quit button. This one is a little annoying

I think that's because I needed to make the panel disappear when the mouse goes a little lower, I actually noticed it during testing but forgot to change that, I'll change that for the next version.

Quote from: david on Fri 26/02/2010 07:24:14
Was the sound made by YOU tzachs? I like it
Well, some of the sounds were made by me & m'girl (the walking of the creature, the grunts of the guard, and some more), some were plain old downloads...
All the music was made by my girlfriend...

Vukul

Also finished it!
Overall, it's a nice short game with good humour in some lines and along the way, nice quotatinons from everywhere outside the game world :)
Story is nicely woven (within the restrictions given, of course :) ), and puzzles are challenging, but with 'human' (not abominable ;) ) logic, which appealed to me.
The thing that frustrated me a bit was the innovative things in control. I liked the fact that these 'jump' and 'raised tentacle' functions were used in various ways throughout all the game, and not just because the author fancied to add them... but the implementation (and, btw, the upper panel with menu/inventory as well) I found rather clumsy.

Still, good game, which is worth playing!

Jakerpot

Thank you for your comments so far!  :D

I'm very glad you enjoyed it, this is the first game ever i helped making it till the end   :=

Download it! Download it NOW! And coment!! -please-

tzachs

Thank you very much for your feedback Vukul  :)
I agree with your comment about the panel (I agree with all the good stuff too  ;) ), but I wonder about the jump & raise tentacle buttons remark: how would you go and make them better so it wouldn't feel clumsy?

Vukul

Quote from: tzachs on Sat 27/02/2010 23:49:17
How would you go and make them better so it wouldn't feel clumsy?

Well, first thing is that may be it bothered only me :) But nevertheless it didn't dissuade me from finishing the game.
Though, I can suggest as an idea, e.g. to use for all the game actions not standard cursor, but verb coin with one layout for standart interactions with hotspots/objects and other layout for clicking on the Eldritch. Because, as I understand you use x;y calculations and sometimes it's difficult to 'catch' the action :)

tzachs

I get what you're saying, thanks  :)... I will probably stick to the current scheme since I am not a big fan of the verb coin (although I do keep the right to use it in a later game) and it's a lot of work to change it now. I can improve the current interface in a specific room (the room with the mighty guard), since I didn't use the scaling as a factor in the x&y calculation. Maybe that's where it was hard for you to 'catch' it, it's with a small offset in that room when the character is smaller...

Jakerpot

Well... What about of having a sequel?  ;D

Just kidding... TQFTHS 2: The Second Mission of The High One.

TQFTHS2:TSMOTHO. That's a funny name. Try to speak it out loud fast 4 times.

Wyz

Nice short game, the colouring makes it a really happy game. Fun how you incorporated Newton in your story, and actually in puzzles :D Well different kind of Newtonian puzzle that is. :D The two modes were innovative, but need a bit more polish. scaling the trigger areas would do I guess. Maybe you could scale down the main character a bit, I had trouble clicking certain hotspots because it was a bit in  the way. Needless to say moving out of the way works. I already mentioned the plugins before, it's a good idea. During the final puzzle I lost my mouse cursor, I was able to play it without it, but maybe something to look in to. The puzzles were interesting and never I had the feeling of not knowing in what direction to think. Good job!
Life is like an adventure without the pixel hunts.

Jakerpot

tzachs

Thanks Wyz  :)

Quote from: Wyz on Wed 03/03/2010 02:07:09
Maybe you could scale down the main character a bit, I had trouble clicking certain hotspots because it was a bit in  the way. Needless to say moving out of the way works.
LOL ;D You should have seen my original plan for the abomination... He was 20% bigger... Luckily Jakerpot advised me to resize it... too much work to change it now, perhaps for the sequel  ;)

During the final puzzle I lost my mouse cursor, I was able to play it without it, but maybe something to look in to.
Interesting, I'll try to reproduce that, thanks. Did anyone else exprience that?

Quote from: Jakerpot on Mon 01/03/2010 04:18:17
Well... What about of having a sequel?  ;D

Just kidding... TQFTHS 2: The Second Mission of The High One.

TQFTHS2:TSMOTHO. That's a funny name. Try to speak it out loud fast 4 times.
Possible, have no idea for now, PM me if you've got an idea  ;)

Leon

Quote from: tzachs on Wed 03/03/2010 18:25:01
During the final puzzle I lost my mouse cursor, I was able to play it without it, but maybe something to look in to.
Interesting, I'll try to reproduce that, thanks. Did anyone else exprience that?

Yep, I had it once out of the three times I played. But I couldn't reproduce it. Actually I thought it was my system (does funny things now and then).
Ultimate Game Solutions - Because there is a solution for everything

Jakerpot

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk