eBay music... 16. March - 23. March

Started by Le Woltaire, Tue 16/03/2010 09:00:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Le Woltaire

Pick an eBay article that you are currently watching and make music about it.

Rules:
- The eBay article still has to be in sale at this moment.
- You have to post the link to the article or a description/picture of it when you post the music.
- Every musical style, musical concept, instrument or way to produce sounds is allowed.
- It should be understandable for me what your music has to do with the ebay article.

I don't have a contract with ebay...
I just have accepted digital consumism...
But we could ask them to sponsor AGS right now!
Yeah!

Questionable

Well then,  off to eBay see what they've got.
All my trophies have disappeared... FINALLY! I'm free!

Phemar

Cool idea! I think i might enter this one.

Le Woltaire

Yikes!
Please gimme some entries...!

Questionable

I FORGOT!

I'll put something together right now!

Viking

Sorry, only had about a day total to throw this one together.  Big orchestra, but really basic block orchestration, basic harmonies for the most part, rather hackneyed John Williams-esque style, etc.

Knight's Conquest with associated eBay item.

(Yes, my son and I are rabid Lego fanatics.)

Questionable

Questionable

SO far I vote for Viking because that IS AWEOMSEEOEMEMEM!!!!!!! Lego?! Check. Castles?! CHECK!!! ORCHESTRAL SYNTH SCORE?!?!??!?!?

Mind = Blown

Le Woltaire

Ok, I will decide the winner tomorrow morning.
So If anyone has an idea for an eBay music,
please simply put it in here in the next eight hours.

Le Woltaire

OK, two entries:

Well I liked both.
It's difficult to decide I recognize now, because the two items and musics are very different.

What I can say from a just musical perspective is:

Cadillac entry by Questionable:
It fit's very well to the scene of a cadillac driving through a desert or something.
Could be a part of the background music of an old Wim Wenders movie.
On the other side it's a bit homogenous. It remains in the same key and doesn't manage to get to an ending...
But I really know the problem to bring it to an end when you have pinned it to a key...
It's really difficult to get out of those tunes...

Lego entry by Viking:
Also here I can understand that it fits. I am particulary talking about the synthetic generation,
the rapid key changing and so on... On the other side it's just an adaption to already existing music.
It can be pretty heard where it all comes from. Hm it's very often like this in your entries.
Last time I heard Prokovieff and Stravinsky fragments.
This time it's a mix between John Williams with some symphonic Mahler moves...
Have you studied film score composition in America?
But for one day it shows a lot of manual abilities.
Like a LEGO castle probably.

Viking for the next turn!

Gilbert

Double congratulations to Viking for winning this round and becoming another Grand Slam Winner! :D

Questionable

Quote from: Gilbet V7000a on Wed 24/03/2010 10:07:00
Double congratulations to Viking for winning this round and becoming another Grand Slam Winner! :D

Ohhhh, sexy! Maybe later you and me can hit up a Denny's...  ;)

CONGRATS!!!!!!!

Viking

@Le Woltaire: I'm afraid I haven't studied composition formally beyond (endless) Bach harmonization and some basic music analysis (Liszt b minor piano sonata, Debussy repertoire, etc.) -- and unfortunately it shows. :(  However, I've played in lots of orchestras of various different calibres.  Also, I've informally studied orchestration on my own, and I listen to and informally analyze lots of music.  I do love both Stravinsky and J.S. Bach, which also shows in my music (hopefully for the good) -- I enjoy imitating the wonderful harmony and rhythm of the former, and incorporating little Baroque pastiches, fugatos and so forth from the latter.  But I feel embarrassed to post any of my music after actually listening to anything by pretty much any real composer.  We need more of Nikolas on here! :)

By the way, as far as I know, none of my music actually quotes any other composer's music (i.e. it is all original).  This month's was very similar to John Williams' style, since I was aiming for the "epic film score" feel.  But in my opinion, last month's was quite different than Prokofiev or Stravinsky -- OK, maybe some Stravinsky influence in the Allegro section.  Regardless, I certainly agree that I am heavily influenced by other, better composers.

I would love to actually take some composition courses (there's a pretty decent conservatory where I live), but sadly it's expensive and time-consuming.  Perhaps when my son is older I'll become another Janacek or Charbrier and start composing in earnest in my forties! :)

@Gilbet V7000a: Woohoo, thanks! :)

@Questionable: That's right, I forgot, we live in the same town, don't we? ;)

Hmmm, I'll have to think of an idea for a new contest.  Unfortunately I'll be out of town Easter weekend, but perhaps I can judge the following Tuesday.  I'll post something tomorrow evening.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk