MAGS April: OROM (One Room One Month) (Winner Announced - See results)

Started by Dualnames, Fri 26/03/2010 18:14:36

Previous topic - Next topic

ThreeOhFour

Hello MAGS friends.

Leafshade and I have completed our entry. It is called Eternally Us.

This is a screenshot:

And these words are a link.

We hope that you enjoy it.

ThreeOhFour

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Because I am a masochist (and I love you) I worked on a few more last minute things and removed a bug that could confuse some people at the bridge (viewport not following player).  You don't 'need' to download this version to continue playing, though; all you have to do is leave the room and come back and the viewport will be fixed.  This is mainly for new players.

new link:

http://www.mediafire.com/?hz3zhzwmmit

Also, don't forget your wristcom has a search function.  Pretty much any term in the game can (or will) be explained there.  There are a few puzzles which are easier to follow when you've done your research, so be a good Captain and use search :).

Chicky

Gotta say btw, my game is terrible. From this day on, i'm getting a programmer.

My initial idea was too amibitous for my small brain, so i switched setting in the middle of development. But screw it, i released a MAGS game yo!!

Didn't see that one coming Dual!

Igor Hardy

Since Dual asked to post screenshots...

SNAKES OF AVALON

download link

Ryan Timothy B

Quote from: SteveMcCrea on Sat 01/05/2010 07:49:30
If you want the source code, it's available here:
http://www.kweepa.com/step/ags/tech/SpacePool.zip (750KB)
Either I've accidentally modified some script, or there's a serious issue with AGS 3.2.0.99 running your game files, it just sits there with the pool table background while playing that lovely music with a blank screen until you hit a key.  Then it loads up the menu, and you can't see the enemy ship at all, even during gameplay.  Weird.

You didn't even use a bloody hotspot (I don't blame ya, I wouldn't have either)... I wouldn't know where to start to add region pixel detection.

Love the new modifications, didn't expect to see them at all - or at least this quickly.  Here's more while I'm at it:
-The funny info boxes about the opponents display too quickly for me to read without quickly skimming them - a press key to continue would be great.
-A beautiful 3.. 2.. 1.. GO! counter after the display box would also be radical.  That way you can get your bearings and have a chance at a good head start.
-You can control the direction of your ship while the opponent info box is being displayed.  Seems like cheating to me.
-Now that you've implemented the stalling ship once you've hit your opponent while having the cue ball, the computer doesn't know to avoid me now.  Or at least not the first guy, he drove right into me losing control and the ball.
-The computers seem to take off quite slowly in most cases.  I just have to hammer down on the forward thrust and ram my way to the cue ball.  Especially at the start up.
On a side note: I love that I can ram them while they're a few pixels away from the ball and cheat my way into grabbing it.  It's my favorite part of the game. :P  Especially running them into the other balls and momentarily shutting down their ship.  It adds a completely different goal and method other than to just hammer down on the throttle and get the cue ball.
-And to be super picky... the 7 ball looks like a backwards F!!  How can anyone take this game seriously now?  :=

My favorite graphical element is definitely the randomly rotating lines of exhaust.

Too bad I have to work soon, all these new games are flooding in and I am excited to play them!

Dualnames

Worst entries ever anyone. Seriously, not the number, but to see all those cool guys teaming up to win (except ProgZ who I know he just does it for the fun, and Crimson and Chicky because they felt sorry for me) leaves me crying like I don't own a pony.

Love you all, now, let's RRRUUUUUUMMBBBBBLLEEEEE!!
Voting goes to the 17th of May, start playing.

Comments are allowed in this topic.
To entrants: All entries are updated properly (yes Steve). Please no sneaky edits, just either PM me, or post that you have a new version.

For voting please visit the MAGS site or make your choice right here:

Snakes Of Avalon by Ascovel - Baron
SPACE POOL ALPHA by SteveMcCrea
HARD SPACE: CONQUEST OF THE GAYLIKS by ProgZmax
Eternally Us by Calin Leafshade - Ben304
Dead Pixels by Chicky
Dead Hand by Limping Fish
ALPHABETA by Crimson Wizard
AGS Footballer Tech Demo by tzachs

Please vote only once and be sure to have played all games before sending your voice! Good luck to all participants.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Crimson Wizard

Dualnames

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Sat 01/05/2010 13:56:49
lol, Dualnames, you included my entry to the list?  :o

You want it off? I assumed it was an entry that's all. You didn't actually clarify it.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Dualnames on Sat 01/05/2010 14:44:17
Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Sat 01/05/2010 13:56:49
lol, Dualnames, you included my entry to the list?  :o

You want it off? I assumed it was an entry that's all. You didn't actually clarify it.

No, no, its not a problem at all :)
I am just wondering about peoples reaction when they see its a game without gameplay.

ThreeOhFour

Chicky - haha your entry made me chuckle ^_^

If/when you do get a programmer, make sure he uses the nice, newer versions of AGS that are way nicer to build games with ;). 2.72 is nowhere near as nice to use as the current version!

LimpingFish - Just as I expected, good writing with good graphics. I'm seriously impressed with how much story you can share over such a short period.

Loved it, good work!

Baron/Ascovel - what an incredibly surreal game. Played it, finished it and enjoyed it, even if I am not 100% sure exactly what everything was about. Definitely had the bizarre sense of humour I was expecting and it kept me amused the whole time. Really liked some of the unusual inventory ideas.

Have no idea what was up with the
Spoiler
bartender being an insect?:P
[close]
but I thought that little part was pretty cool anyway.

Now I have puzzles that seem to be kicking my ass in Hardspace to solve  :=

Chicky

Quote from: Ben304 on Sat 01/05/2010 14:59:20
Chicky - haha your entry made me chuckle ^_^

If/when you do get a programmer, make sure he uses the nice, newer versions of AGS that are way nicer to build games with ;). 2.72 is nowhere near as nice to use as the current version!

Awesome! Laughter is the greatest gift, Merry May Ben!  :=

I am on the prowl for a smoking hot AGS programmer to be my game making buddy 4EVA N EVA. Applicants must have nice eyes.

ThreeOhFour

Quote from: Chicky on Sat 01/05/2010 15:09:31
I am on the prowl for a smoking hot AGS programmer to be my game making buddy 4EVA N EVA. Applicants must have nice eyes.

My only requirement was that floppy blonde hair...

sighhhh....  ;)

Kweepa

Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

Kweepa

Quote from: Ryan Timothy on Sat 01/05/2010 12:45:38
Quote from: SteveMcCrea on Sat 01/05/2010 07:49:30
If you want the source code, it's available here:
http://www.kweepa.com/step/ags/tech/SpacePool.zip (750KB)
you can't see the enemy ship at all
Oops. I had renamed the Compiled folder. You can either copy the DAT files from the SpacePoolAlpha folder or re-download the source (which I have fixed).

You didn't even use a bloody hotspot (I don't blame ya, I wouldn't have either)... I wouldn't know where to start to add region pixel detection.
We should continue discussion in PM...

-Now that you've implemented the stalling ship once you've hit your opponent while having the cue ball, the computer doesn't know to avoid me now.  Or at least not the first guy, he drove right into me losing control and the ball.
Ah, crap, none of them do - there wasn't a need to before. That could make later levels a little easier. I'll have to fix it at some point. Like now:
http://www.kweepa.com/step/ags/games/SpacePoolAlpha13.zip

On a side note: I love that I can ram them while they're a few pixels away from the ball and cheat my way into grabbing it.  It's my favorite part of the game. :P
Why the :P? That should be a :=!

-And to be super picky... the 7 ball looks like a backwards F!!  How can anyone take this game seriously now?  :=
It's Euro-peeing!

Haven't had a chance to play the new games yet, but they look awesome!
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

LimpingFish

Quote from: Dualnames
Have a great sleep Limping Fish

Thank you, and I actually did! I had this great dream...It was all sunny and warm.

Well, it was!

Quote from: Ben304
LimpingFish - Just as I expected, good writing with good graphics. I'm seriously impressed with how much story you can share over such a short period.

Loved it, good work!

Many thanks for those kind words, Ben! :D

Now, I want to share something with you, friends. A tale of a man who bit off far more than he could chew with his first MAGS entry...

Myxomatomic! was a game about rabbits. Cockney rabbits. And Robots. And robotic rabbits.

It was planned as an isometric adventure, with a single large scrolling environment. Then it became a flip screen environment.

Then it quietly went to sleep.

The end.

In other news, loving everybody's games so far! :D

Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Good, now you have the next mags to complete the previous mags game ^_^.]

Also, these games make me happy I put so much effort into mine because other people spent their time well, too!

ThreeOhFour

Woah that game is too cool. I agree with ProgZ, off ya go  8)

Man how can I vote for games when ProgZ's still has me stumped at the first puzzle. I feel so dumb  :=

ddq

I'm playing through all the games before voting, pretty good so far, but I'll reserve judgement until I've finished them all. This should take a while...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk