Small Footballers

Started by tzachs, Thu 01/04/2010 09:43:26

Previous topic - Next topic

tzachs

What can I do to improve these guys?
I was mostly worried about the face of the front guy, it looks too lego for me... now that I put them in line I'm not so sure about the side view too...
Also the skin tone..

Consider that they are going to be fully animated, so I didn't do any shading, at least for now...

x2

Jim Reed

Shading is for pussies anyway =P

I'll give it a go today if I can manage. The head looks too wide, the side view too flat. Add some curves.
Now, the real question is, what are you doing with those sprites? Making a footbal game? (you better be! I'm a footbal fan!)
Also, you may use New Star Soccer 3 (NSS3) as reference. They have about the same size for the sprites.

gameboy

I think you should increase the contrast between the surface and outlines' colors, especially on the skin. And lose the double pixels.

Jim Reed

4x

You might want to replace my black outlines with something softer

Wonkyth

"But with a ninja on your face, you live longer!"

Jim Reed

tzachs

Quote from: Jim Reed on Thu 01/04/2010 09:55:09
Shading is for pussies anyway =P

I'll give it a go today if I can manage. The head looks too wide, the side view too flat. Add some curves.
Now, the real question is, what are you doing with those sprites? Making a footbal game? (you better be! I'm a footbal fan!)
Also, you may use New Star Soccer 3 (NSS3) as reference. They have about the same size for the sprites.
Thanks for the feedback, I am making a football game  ;D
I will also need some testers soon if you're interested...
back to topic, I'll try to use yours and gameboy's feedback when I get home and I'll post. I liked your attempt but the style I was going for was actually more SWOS and less NSS (although I do take ideas from NSS), and also yours looks too distinctive, if I put 11 guys like him on the field I think it will look too much like clones, where with my guys I believe I can get away with that (with a change of hair color only).

Jim Reed

Testing? Sure! when?
Clones? Now that you mention it, the sprite can seem distinctive, yes. (modeled after Davor Suker =P )

tzachs

Ok, I did some changes based on the feedbacks:
* Narrowed the heads and the bodies
* Added curve to side view
* Lengthened the arms
* Added contrast
* Removed double pixels

The top row is after the changes, the bottom row is before the changes. It looks better to me now, with the exception of the eyes in the front view, which now look too short apart I think, but I tried to add distance and it looked worst, so I'm at a loss here...

x2

Quote from: Jim Reed on Thu 01/04/2010 19:30:19
Testing? Sure! when?
Excellent, thanks!
Since I kinda made a deadline to myself to release a basic tech demo for the upcoming MAGS, it will be pretty soon, probably in a few days and not more than a week (hopefully). I'll pm you when it's time.
Clones? Now that you mention it, the sprite can seem distinctive, yes. (modeled after Davor Suker =P )
Aha, that brings back memories... indeed looks like suker...

Jim Reed

No prob, just PM me with the beta. =D

Edit:
For the eyes...try making the sprite width an odd number, so you get a single pixel as the middle of the sprite, and then play with the eye position. Who knows, maybe it'll work.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk