Title Screens

Started by jesternario, Sat 10/04/2010 07:07:49

Previous topic - Next topic

jesternario

Maybe I missed this, or I'm incredibly thick (in which case feel free to say so. I won't be offended), but what's the best way to make a title screen. I may be asking an opinion, I realize, but hey, the best people to ask opinions from are those who have been thorugh the same problems you have.

xenogia

I think a title screen graphically should show the theme of the game, maybe not a direct correlation with the character.  For example if it was a game say about werewolves you could have a picture of a blood red full moon.  Also the title screen should have options to "Watch Intro", "Restore Game", "New Game" and "Quit".  Not sure if this helps but yeah that is my opinion.

Jared

If you're just showing the title then you should create the image, then turn it into the background of a room in the game. Start the game in that room with "Player character is visible" (I think that's the option) set to false.

Assuming you just want the game to start after showing the screen for a little while just put a Wait() command in the code in the AfterFadeIn() function, followed by ChangeRoom(). If you want the screen to stay visible until the player presses a button probably make the whole screen a hotspot or region and code the AnyClick function call a ChangeRoom().

If you want a menu on the title screen, then it's slightly more complicated but not much. Usual method is making the buttons hotspots and then finding the save, load code etc from the globalscript.

There isn't any built in feature for creating a title screen, so simple workarounds like this are the go.

tzachs

Actually, for a menu the simple thing to do is to create a GUI.
You can make the GUI for the entire screen, set its background image, put buttons and labels (change their images as well if you want), set the event handlers for the buttons (in the 'new game' button event handler hide the gui) and you're all set.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk