Hourgame Saturday - starts April 17th @ 19:00 BST - WINNER FSi!

Started by Kweepa, Fri 16/04/2010 04:01:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Kweepa

Hourgame Saturday
What's an Hourgame competition?
The purpose of Hourgame Saturday is to encourage amateur game-making, or to put it bluntly, to make you plant your ass in your chair and finally make something.
In this activity your task is to make an AGS game within a strict and very short deadline (i.e. one hour).

When will it take place?
This Hourgame session will take place on Saturday April 17, 2010. After last week's poor turnout, we're going back to the regularly scheduled time. Starting at 19:00 BST (14:00 New York, 20:00 Budapest) participants will have an hour to make their games + 15 minutes to beta test / upload (i.e. the deadline is 20:15 BST).

How do I participate?
A theme is set by the previous week's winner and by the contest's host in event of his/her absence. It will be announced on IRC (3 simple steps to IRC) and here.

Additional info:
- While it is not forbidden for the theme-setters to participate in the activity, their games cannot be voted for (to prevent accusations of cheating and to discourage regular participation).
- Instead, theme-setters are encouraged to draw trophies for the contest's winners.
- Making your game from scratch is strongly encouraged, though it is not forbidden to use music or artwork from public sources if you are allowed to (e.g. using public domain music tracks in your game is OK, but not really necessary). It is also possible to use a pre-existing AGS template for your game (e.g. the Verb-Coin GUI template).
- You cannot use stuff you've made earlier, because this competition is about making something new.

Camwhoring:
If you have Camtasia or Camtasia-esque software, it would be great to see your "Making of"! Or blog about it, or just open Notepad, do something! No twittering.

Uploading:
Suggested hosts to upload your entry to are:
Recommended:
TerranRich's ShutUpload

Not recommended:
http://www.mediafire.com/
http://www.sendspace.com/
http://www.rapidshare.com/

Or your own place.

Voting:
Just tell us your favourite game. You don't have to enter to vote!
(If you want to tell us what you liked and disliked about all the entries, that would be super nice of you!)
The voting will end when all the entrants have voted, or on Wednesday, April 21, whichever comes sooner.

Please post below if you're interested in participating, if the change in time will/won't work for you, or if you have any other questions.

[EDIT] Oh bollocks, I got the New York time wrong when I posted this. Fixed now.
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

Rex Mundane

My Blog: Ludo, ergo sum

Wyz

Life is like an adventure without the pixel hunts.

Kweepa

Kweepa

IndieBoy

Quote from: Calin Elephantsittingonface on Tue 08/02/2011 09:00:55
The only person in favour of the mobs seems to be IndieBoy.. but he's scottish so we dont listen to him anyway.

Wyz

Life is like an adventure without the pixel hunts.

FSi++

FSi's Mermaids Can Be Sad Too

Download (should work)

Upd: ME IS DUMB
Upd2: ME IS DUMB²
Upd3: ME IS DUMB³
Upd4: ok, ME IS DUMB²*²

Aside from me being dumb, you control the dude with arrow keys.

Aside from that, there is also A FINAL CUTSCENE (which is nearly impossible to reach)

tzachs

Failed miserably, but here:

Dog vs Sharks
Arrows to move, space to shoot...

Kweepa

Rex Mundane

And mine is embarassingly late and utterly disqualified because I had no idea what the code was trying to do. Nevertheless, here it is.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1410300/Magma42.zip

AngelicCharon

belated: after the expected or usual time; delayed

My 'Belated' Hour Game Non-Entry:
http://www.mediafire.com/?jtlmmizymyy

I recommend not playing it.  It features nudity.  Mild language.  Almost no story, plot, or redeeming features (unless you stopped reading at nudity).

I am not proud of it.  Or this.  But I have been forced to post it.  So I have.

Now...I guess back to game work, Doctor Who sprites, and who knows...

NOTE: To clarify, due to the fact that it was completed outside of the timeframe allowed for the HG, it is not an entry that can be validly voted upon.  Thank you.

tzachs

One vote for FSI please.

Oh, and a tip on how to beat Wyz's game:
Spoiler

Ctrl-A
[close]

Kweepa

IndieBoy: nearly a nice game - it's a shame you cocked up the fish speed. Loverly whale.
Wyz: very simple, but complete. A bit tricky towards the top.
FSi: great ending cutscene. Shame about the collision detection!
tzachs: movement and shooting? Cool. Again, shame about the collision detection. And is that a subtle use of the Underwater module I spy?

So, I vote for FSi.

magma42: nice game, if a little late.
AngelicCharon: nice... game, if a lot late. :=

Rex Mundane

Lot of Not-Really-Adventure games this time.

IndieBoy - Feed the Whale, might have been fun if all the fish weren't darting around like epileptic hallucinations.

tzachs - Never managed to hit the shark with the underwater woofs. What happens if I do?

Wyz - Invisible Walkable Area maze. Interesting. No, wait, the other thing. Tedious.

FSi - Heres a weird problem, Norton keeps telling me that your game is compromising my system and keeps deleting the file, so I can't even try it. No idea why this should be the case, but can't, in good conscience, vote for you.

AngelicCharon - YAY BOOBS! Yet somehow it managed to be even more late than mine was.

Guess I vote IndieBoy

bicilotti

I am sorry to have fled the battlefield once again, but I'm coding a little thing in C++, which is currently in a "bigBallOfMud" state. Until that morphs into something more manageable, I'll have little time for HGs.
Let's carry on with voting:

dog vs shark: managed to slow down my computer, featured a dog in an uncommon situation (bonus points!). It isn't winnable, is it? By the way, reminded me of this.

Drowning: a button mash in AGS, unbelivable! Short and action-packed + a clear goal. Like it!

Feed the Whale: Cute fishes! And cute whale too (I thought they ran on plankton!).

Mermaids: great! actionpacked, some nice animations a minigame that is tedious but rewarding and some deep dialogue!

Bottom line, FSi gets my vote!

p.s.: a note on the two "not-entries". AC must be praised for the artwork (higly... materic tactile, if you let me say that), Magma for the witty dialogues!

Kweepa

Quote from: bicilotti on Sun 18/04/2010 17:33:02
(very... materic, if you let me say that)

Yes, I think I can let you say that. Mostly because I have no idea what it means.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk