Hourgame Saturday - May 15th - A WINNER IS SCARAB!

Started by Kweepa, Sat 15/05/2010 00:16:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Kweepa

Hourgame Saturday
Package containing all games: http://www.kweepa.com/step/ags/games/2___1BlueCup.zip

What's an Hourgame competition?
The purpose of Hourgame Saturday is to encourage amateur game-making, or to put it bluntly, to make you plant your ass in your chair and finally make something.
In this activity your task is to make an AGS game within a strict and very short deadline (i.e. one hour).

When will it take place?
This Hourgame session will take place on Saturday May 15, 2010. Starting at 19:00 BST (14:00 New York, 20:00 Budapest) participants will have an hour to make their games + 15 minutes to beta test / upload (i.e. the deadline is 20:15 BST).

How do I participate?
A theme is set by the previous week's winner and by the contest's host in event of his/her absence. It will be announced on IRC (3 simple steps to IRC) and here.

Additional info:
- While it is not forbidden for the theme-setters to participate in the activity, their games cannot be voted for (to prevent accusations of cheating and to discourage regular participation).
- Instead, theme-setters are encouraged to draw trophies for the contest's winners.
- Making your game from scratch is strongly encouraged, though it is not forbidden to use music or artwork from public sources if you are allowed to (e.g. using public domain music tracks in your game is OK, but not really necessary). It is also possible to use a pre-existing AGS template for your game (e.g. the Verb-Coin GUI template).
- You cannot use stuff you've made earlier, because this competition is about making something new.

Camwhoring:
If you have Camtasia or Camtasia-esque software, it would be great to see your "Making of"! Or blog about it, or just open Notepad, do something! No twittering.

Uploading:
Suggested hosts to upload your entry to are:
Recommended:
TerranRich's ShutUpload

Not recommended:
http://www.mediafire.com/
http://www.sendspace.com/
http://www.rapidshare.com/

Or your own place.

Voting:
Just tell us your favourite game. You don't have to enter to vote!
(If you want to tell us what you liked and disliked about all the entries, that would be super nice of you!)
The voting will end when all the entrants have voted, or on Wednesday, May 19, whichever comes sooner.

Please post below if you're interested in participating, if the change in time will/won't work for you, or if you have any other questions.

Sorry this announcement came rather late :=
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

ShiverMeSideways

19:00 BST would be 21:00 in GMT+2, which is my time zone... I would've liked to participate with an hoursong, but I don't think I'll be home in time :-S

Wonkyth

Too early in the morning for me.  :'(
"But with a ninja on your face, you live longer!"

Kweepa

Starting now!
The theme is Two X, One BlueCup.
KEEP IT CLEAN!
X is whatever you want.

NsMn

Again, I'm not going to make it in time again... if anyone is in need of a background, here is what I drew:

Scarab

Presenting: 2 Cups 1 Cup!

Click Screenshot to download game.

1st game ever, woo!

bicilotti

http://shutupload.com/dl/bbd2ac2f4742/

2 bastard gnomes, 1 cup

I want to state that this game is winnable!

Wyz

Two coffee, one cup
http://shutupload.com/dl/b6f1ecc5c2ba/

a bit late, but my computer was sluggish :(
Life is like an adventure without the pixel hunts.

Radiant

Two Ghosts, One Cup-Man.

Okay, I kind of ran out of time here. Those frownies should be replaced by sprites of ghosts, and the smily by a blue Cup-Man. Also, there's no collision detection yet. But anyway.

Rex Mundane

My Blog: Ludo, ergo sum

Kweepa

Rex Mundane

Wyz - Good room art, not bad game, but for how fiddly the coffee machine is it really needed the label to change over each button.

Radiant - Itd be nice if it worked properly... or had cups

Scarab - Damn nice for a first game. art and scripting are tight, just very short.

bici - Okay, I'm sure you didn't write the song and couldnt have spent less time on the art if you tried, but an impressive secret ending. Had to spend a while working out how you managed it.

Vote bici
My Blog: Ludo, ergo sum

Kweepa

NsMn, that's a lovely background!

Scarab, good first effort, and enjoyable game.

Bici, unusual game as usual (:=). As magma said, clever win condition. The game interface was a little annoying and the click on character detection was off.

Wyz, impressive amount of interaction as usual. Not quite up to your standards though, I think.

Radiant, cool that you got that much done in... oh... two hours. I'd like to see it finished off!

Magma, I liked this one the best. Unfortunately you took too long over it.

My vote goes to Scarab! Despite his hatred of adventure games.

Scarab

A little something for the victor.

Spot saved for my vote when I've finished all the games.  ;D

Kweepa

Package containing all games: http://www.kweepa.com/step/ags/games/2___1BlueCup.zip
Download and VOTE!

PS Scarab, thanks for the trophy!

bicilotti

Ok, vote time!

First of all let me say I found NsMn's background very interesting! Even more so if you consider the theme: how were you planning to link the two, mr. NsMn? I'm quite curious.

Scarab: if that's your first hourgame I foresee a great future for you! It was really enjoyable and solid. Many times, in the rush for packing the game, participants make major mistakes; instead, this feels thoroughly tested and polished! Admittedly the story isn't much, but can you ask more in an hour?

Wyz: I can share the misery of being an office worker with the main character, yay! In that (atmosphere) the game was great, but I found the puzzles to be too difficult for me (I kind of preferred the old GUI too). Nice background!

Radiant: welcome to the hourgame extrrrravaganza! Nice idea, a pity it was too much to chew for a single hour!

Magma42: who cares about deadlines! Great entry, the dialogues alone made me want to replay it a couple of times! The ominous shoe could become a great theme for a compo.

Kweepa: not an entry, still I would have voted for you! :P

Scarab, I choose thee!

NsMn

Quote from: bicilotti on Wed 19/05/2010 17:22:14
First of all let me say I found NsMn's background very interesting! Even more so if you consider the theme: how were you planning to link the two, mr. NsMn? I'm quite curious.

The game would've been "2 Chris, One BlueCup". Would've been about Chris Jones cloning himself so he could work faster on AGS 4.0.

Jim Reed

Scarab gets my vote.

I, Jim Reed, under no duress from a gun pointed at my head, and 3 really large thugs standing by me, with one pressing the keys on my keyboard with my broken finger, change my vote for the mafi...err bicilotti!

NotJimReed

Heck, I vote for bicilotti, too, THE GAME HAS THREE ENDINGS! AND DEVIOUSNESS!

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

belch-a-lotti's game gets my vote because the gnomes demand it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk