[OpenSource] PlaTENG 0.7 (Platform TileENGine) Joystick support added

Started by abstauber, Tue 18/05/2010 14:11:46

Previous topic - Next topic

abstauber

Alright, thanks for trying. I'm glad that my game release will still take some time ;)

(damn those "new" OSes ;) )

Btw. has anyone already checked their frame rates?

tzachs

It was pretty steady for me on 40 FPS, when killing creatures and stuff it went down to 35 in the worst case and returned to 40.
When switching the inventory it goes down to 3 FPS and then comes back.

abstauber

Thanks for the feedback!
I bet you've tried it on a 486 DX/2 66 with a Tseng ET4000 *cough* ...   ;D

Great that it runs smoothly, a little more infos about your system specs would help even more :)

Btw. the "slowdown" on the inventory is because the FPS function runs in a ordinary rep_exec and the game pauses while the inventory is shown. So this should be no problem.

Wonkyth

Looked at the game yesterday, very neat!
There are a few things though, like not getting hurt while sliding...
"But with a ninja on your face, you live longer!"

abstauber

Not getting hurt while sliding is also on purpose :) Usually sliding means killing the enemies, but that made the game far too easy.
On the other hand hurting the player is highly annoying, because you can't control the player during the slide. It would also mean that you can get stuck while sliding underneath gaps. If you like to change that behaviour, just take a look at the function TENG::check_player_coll()

* abstauber wants to talk himself out of the other few things too ;D

tzachs

Quote from: abstauber on Mon 24/05/2010 20:18:51
Thanks for the feedback!
I bet you've tried it on a 486 DX/2 66 with a Tseng ET4000 *cough* ...   ;D
Be careful with what you say, I know where you live, and no aeronuts will be there to help you...
Great that it runs smoothly, a little more infos about your system specs would help even more :)
CPU Type:                Intel Pentium 4 630, 3000 MHz (15 x 200)  
System Memory:      2048 MB (DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM)  
Operating System:   Microsoft Windows XP Professional  Service Pack 2
Video Adapter:         NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT (1024 MB)  

abstauber

QuoteBe careful with what you say, I know where you live, and no aeronuts will be there to help you...

When you do what? Drink all my beer? Be my guest :D

Quotecomputer specs
Oh... a frame drop by 5 even on this system  :o  Oh well, at least it seems to be playable.

Wonkyth

I'm getting a fine frame-rate on on the same as that, but without the graphics card, with one gig of RAM, and at 2.39GH, so there's nothing wrong with it at the moment, or for standard stuff anyway, it does seem to pause a little while inventorying.
"But with a ninja on your face, you live longer!"

abstauber

Good news!
I suppose when the first PLATENG featuring games are being released, most of today's netbooks are already broken ;D

abstauber

Just wanted to let you know, that I've included wiz' awesome joystick plugin.

If you hit F2 during gameplay you can choose your detected game controllers and assign the buttons. I've only tested it with my trustworthy Gravis Gamepad, so there are just "digital" movements.

I'm excited to hear how it works with your controllers!

(and by the way, this still doesn't run very well on Atom CPUs)

Wyz

Awesome!
I've tested it with my gamepad (Logitech Dual Action) and it works perfectly!
I've noticed a bug with the joystick indices in the plugin, so that's my fault really. I'll be fixing that. ;D
Life is like an adventure without the pixel hunts.

pl1x

Download is broken! Is there someone who have this engine? It is important! Have also written a PM to the Thread-Starter!

- Marcel / pl1x

abstauber

pl1x

Quote from: abstauber on Tue 02/04/2013 07:28:53
Here you go, I hope it didn't ruin your Easter Weekend

Nope, my Easter Weekend was great! Thank you!

- Marcel / pl1x

pixelincognito

I've been looking for an engine to develop a simple platformer concept idea and looked at Gamemaker and a few other alternatives but I've never noticed this. and seeing as I have a better understanding of AGS than most other engines I'm intrigued to give this a go :) I downloaded the PlatEng and when I try to compile the test game I get an error?

Failed to save room room1.crm; details below
MapJoy.ash(12): Error (line 12): expected variable or function after import, not 'Joystick'

I'm using AGS 3.3 and was wondering if that had anything to do with the compile error? I understand this is a very old thread and support for this probably no longer exists but I thought it was worth a punt.

M

abstauber

QuoteMapJoy.ash(12): Error (line 12): expected variable or function after import, not 'Joystick
That's because you need the joystick plugin in AGS. I've also made some more progress (way more to be honest) with this project, but nothing I released to the public yet.
Expect a PM soon :)

Two Tales

Quote from: abstauber on Thu 07/01/2016 09:54:34
QuoteI've also made some more progress (way more to be honest) with this project, but nothing I released to the public yet.
Expect a PM soon :)

This is very intriguing indeed.

I downloaded from the link a few posts up about an hour ago to check it out. I messed up some of the script while playing around and decided to download it again a few minutes ago and suddenly the link is broken...What's the chances of that!

Edit: link working again this morning <scratches head>.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk