Hourgame Saturday! - Squirrels! - Steve Wins

Started by Rex Mundane, Wed 07/07/2010 03:32:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Rex Mundane

SCROLLING TEXT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!What's an Hourgame competition?
The purpose of Hourgame Saturday is to encourage amateur game-making, or to put it bluntly, to make you plant your ass in your chair and finally make something.
In this activity your task is to make an AGS game within a strict and very short deadline (i.e. one hour).

When will it take place?
This Hourgame session will take place on Saturday 10th July 2010. Starting at 19:00 BST (14:00 New York, 20:00 Johannesburg) participants will have an hour to make their games + 15 minutes to beta test / upload (i.e. the deadline is 20:15 BST).

How do I participate?
A theme is set by the previous week's winner and by the contest's host in event of his/her absence. It will be announced on IRC (3 simple steps to IRC) and here.

Why should I participate?
Because it's FUN!
Research shows that Hourgames get the creative juices going and will aid for healthier game building skills.
And a for the shiny trophy of course

Additional info:
- While it is not forbidden for the theme-setters to participate in the activity, their games cannot be voted for (to prevent accusations of cheating and to discourage regular participation).
- Instead, theme-setters are encouraged to draw trophies for the contest's winners.
- Making your game from scratch is strongly encouraged, though it is not forbidden to use music or artwork from public sources if you are allowed to (e.g. using public domain music tracks in your game is OK, but not really necessary). It is also possible to use a pre-existing AGS template for your game (e.g. the Verb-Coin GUI template).
- You cannot use stuff you've made earlier, because this competition is about making something new.
- You are allowed to use previous Hoursongs (Should we create a list somewhere?).

Camwhoring:
If you have Camtasia or Camtasia-esque software, it would be great to see your "Making of"! Or blog about it, or just open Notepad, do something! No twittering.

Uploading:
Suggested hosts to upload your entry to are:

Recommended:
TerranRich's ShutUpload
DropBox (Recommended by Magma42, referral link)

Not recommended:
http://www.mediafire.com/
http://www.sendspace.com/
http://www.rapidshare.com/

Or your own place.

Theme:

TBD

Voting:
Just tell us your favourite game. You don't have to enter to vote!
(If you want to tell us what you liked and disliked about all the entries, that would be super nice of you!)
After all games are in you are encouraged to vote, again, you don't have to enter to vote. Voting closes the next Saturday (July 17)

Please post below if you're interested in participating, if the change in time will/won't work for you, or if you have any other questions.

If you are unable to make the scheduled time, but wish to participate anyway, say so in this thread and we can work out a scheduled hour at your convenience to make your submission (Earlier that day for instance).

Hope to see you there!
My Blog: Ludo, ergo sum

Rex Mundane

I am choosing to interpret the relative radio silence as indicative of absentmindedness and not avoiding the coming contest, but please do comment if you plan on participating. Again, there will be a trophy, and if you wish to participate early due to being unable to make the scheduled time (19:00 BST, 14:00 New York, 20:00 Johannesburg) I will be in IRC as early as I can so hit me up then.

Bulbapuck

just got back from my vacation, couldn't comment before :)

But I'm in, at least I'll try.. it's much harder nowadays for no apparent reason. But I'll try.

Monsieur OUXX

Will 19:00 BST be 18:00 GMT? I'm compltely scared of missing the competition because of a bad conversion.

Rex Mundane

And the theme is... Squirrels.

Hourgame is Go!

Also, to the winner goes this amazing trophy

Kweepa

Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

Rex Mundane

Here's a little something I put together in advance. Still a little time to go...

One Fine Day Amid a Verdant Field

Wyz

Life is like an adventure without the pixel hunts.

Rex Mundane

Well then, I suppose its just the two of you then, gents.

Let the Voting Begin!

SteveMcCrea vs Wyz!

Let this be their greatest battle!

Kweepa

I vote for Wyz!
Bold graphics and lovely squirrel animation.

Wyz

I vote for Steve's!
I like the backgrounds, nice tree, and giving a squirrel what he had coming was fun. ;D

Rex Mundane

Man, I'm really hoping someone else votes in this one, otherwise the decision is just plain put on me and I just can't take that kind of pressure.

ThreadBump, plus one vote for Wyz

Scarab

I hate to tie up the competition, but one more vote for Steve :)

Get votin' people! :=

Twirlly

You both had great games for an hour of work.

I'm going to vote for Steve's Nuts. Even though the character was never seen, seeing the goody goody get his in the end was better.

Wyz I loved that your game was outside of the norm in game style, but the game play did move a bit slow for me and I wish the squirrel was created to fit in more with the background.
Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!

Rex Mundane

Rex Mundane

Alright then, voting has ended, and with a final count of 3-2, Steve has Won. Congratulations Steve, your prize for winning is to conduct the next Hourgame, as well as this fantabulous little trophy here.

Kweepa

Hooray, thanks for the votes, and bad luck Wyz - it was a worthy entry!

Wyz

Congrats, great job Steve, looking forward to the next one! (If I can make the next one ;))

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk