Living Nightmare: Endless Dreams (Now with Voice Acting)

Started by LRH, Mon 31/05/2010 00:41:27

Previous topic - Next topic

LRH

The Sequel to Living Nightmare Deluxe. James has just finished the journal entry, now 20 years old. You control him as he begins to realize that his nightmares are starting to collide with reality. (With some work this will be made into a trilogy, please excuse the strange cliffhanger ending.)

I have to say, this MAGS is just what the game needed. I was really sluggish on this one, and I really needed something to help me finish.

The game features a beautiful soundtrack by this forum's very own Mark Lovegrove, who turned my request for 3 tracks into a soundtrack of over 20 midis.

Toward the end, things were really being pushed, so please let me know if anything goes wrong. Unfortunately, I will not have any access to AGS for the next couple days as I will be babysitting, but hopefully I'll be able to peek at the forums.

Updates:
Version 1.01: Added Mods' version of credits music.
Added better description for the 'about' button.

Download here: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/games.php?action=detail&id=1313

I would appreciate any votes after playing on the games page :D

vertigoaddict

I just finished playing it, it was good, good job  ;)

I did get stuck for a bit a long the way, then I got a facepalm moment.

will be anticipating the third installment  :)

Jim Reed

=D
Downloading, and playing as soon as possible (prolly tonight).
Congrats man!

SarahLiz

Great game, enjoyed it!  The music made me want to jump under the covers, nice job... ;)

Dualnames

I've voted as well, and commented on the game's page. The game is really great, those of you that disregard this fact, will fuck miss out. So I pity you. Is there a sequel to this? Cause I'm hooked on!

Overall great improvement on your game design, you should sleep well. One of us should. :D
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

m0ds

You know when you've been Pompo'd !!!! It was fun to do, thanks for the nice words about the music! It seemed to come together well :) I really like the style of this game. It's not too long and it scared the bejezuz out of me before I became acustomed to what happens. Thanks for the oppurtunity!

LRH

Thank you all very much, I'm glad you liked it!

Duals, I do plan on finishing the story that's there, in a final installment of sorts. However, first will come a supplement game to the series that takes place somewhere in between the first two, which is a first person style with a text parser, should be fun to work on! :D Also, you're being way too nice :P

Mods, I don't think the game is even half as fun without your music. The first time I added the music over
Spoiler
James' second vision
[close]
I literally jumped, although I of all people knew what was there.

Dualnames

Quote from: Domithan on Wed 02/06/2010 14:44:42
Duals, I do plan on finishing the story that's there, in a final installment of sorts. However, first will come a supplement game to the series that takes place somewhere in between the first two, which is a first person style with a text parser, should be fun to work on! :D Also, you're being way too nice :P

I'm not way too nice! This is a great game. And people will think I'm just being flattery and loving underground games, but the last two things are wayyy off. It was a very nice game. I f^&**ing liked it. End of story!  :D
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

MMMorshew

I already played the first one a while ago, and this one here is even more fantastic than the first one. I jumped everytime when this loud noise appeared and everything went dark. I found it fascinating how even those simple graphics could create such a dark athmosphere and immersion into the story.
But: Worst cliffhanger ever!! I want to see how it ends ... NOW!!!
;)

Shadow1000

EXCELLENT game!

The graphics are a huge improvement over the first game. The puzzles were a bit easy but not too easy as to take away from the game. The atmosphere was perfect.

Congrats

Cogliostro

I'm replaying the game now and typing in comments as they appear.

Spoiler

HOME: Intro is a NICE setup, however, the wow, I'm 20 years old and my dad got me a present so let me drive across town and break into the office just so I can get a surprise.... is way off.   Especially when he's got a cold and is feeling morose already.  Yeah, I know he's pumped up on cold meds, but that's hardly a great time to be driving in the rain.  Since the present isn't important to the rest of the story, so I'd ditch the present. 

First alternative idea that comes to mind.... He's closer to the office than his dad, and maybe the server went down.  Go into the office and reboot it.  After all he's an intern. 

OFFICE: The puzzles  are logical AND appropriate to the storyline, getting into the building and getting past the guard.  All realistic.  I always hate it when everyone in the game knows you're on a question to save civilization from ultimate evil, but the guy in the bar won't tell you how to stop the zombie horde unless you make him a hat from squirrel pelts or something equally stupid. 

You use the lightning and rain to BEAUTIFUL effect.  Really, just amazing.

Getting thrown out of the office building... you don't want the effect to be too obvious, sublty plays well here, but give a one or two more flashes of darkness so the player can get an extra chance to  see what's wrong might work nicely... but then again it might not.  Just something to consider.

The transition to the car and the next morning was harsh.  A single screen talking about trouble sleeping would have avoided that.  Given how tight everything else is, I'd recommend it.

SHRINK: Staring at the bookshelf this works well, a great way to show how ancious the character is.  Especially when you don't have face shots or voiceovers.  The switch to black/white/red eyes is good, but the music makes this scene amazing!  It all came together perfectly.

LIBRARY: The music on leaving the library is again, excellent.  Puzzles again, they work in the story line.  Perhaps a little too easy.  At this stage it might have been possible to crank up the puzzles to add some challenge, but it certainly wasn't required.

GRANDPA'S HOUSE: Was there a car wreck in the storyline that I forgot about?  Or was the sound effects just a way to unsettle the players?  The music downstairs when you're talking to yourself is top notch.

GRAVEYARD: You're in full swing here, the story is playing itself out with excellent music and creepiness until the ending which leaves the audience begging for the third installment.

[close]

Don't make us wait too long for the third installment... PLEASE!

- Cogliostro
"First things first, but not necessarily in that order." - Dr. Who

LRH

Thanks for the very comprehensive list Cogliostro!

Spoiler
As for the car crash, perhaps it will come up in the future?  ;)
[close]

m0ds

Domithan, I've been playing with direct midi to mp3 and it made some of the tracks sound epic, so I'll upload a special MP3 version of the soundtrack tonight, here's a sample :)

LRH

Quote from: Mods on Tue 15/06/2010 15:46:23
Domithan, I've been playing with direct midi to mp3 and it made some of the tracks sound epic, so I'll upload a special MP3 version of the soundtrack tonight, here's a sample :)

Wow, that sounds fantastic! Thanks a lot for that one :)

I'll be sure to put up an update with a link to a version with the enhanced music.

ALSO: Need some voice actors, probably going to add a voice pack. I had already promised Calin and Xeno places long ago, but I still need a couple more.

m0ds

Awesome! Here it is :) Good luck with the voices!

Calin Leafshade

Xeno is australian.. he has acting in his blood.. I bet he's already been in 3 or 4 soap operas already.

Dualnames

I'm offering my bad accent voice to the table.

LRH

Quote from: Dualnames on Thu 17/06/2010 00:55:43
I'm offering my bad accent voice to the table.

Sorry duals, all the roles...uhm...all...what...5? Were taken. If you're still willing for the sequel I'm sure I can find a voice for you when it's time for that. :D

xenogia

Quote from: Calin Leafshade on Thu 17/06/2010 00:45:00
Xeno is australian.. he has acting in his blood.. I bet he's already been in 3 or 4 soap operas already.

Haha.. yup my consistent roles in Home and Away along with Neighbours keeps me busy :P

Calin Leafshade

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk