Wall-E (Fan Game) MAGS WINNER!

Started by markbilly, Mon 31/05/2010 21:34:55

Previous topic - Next topic

markbilly

My first time entering the MAGS competition and my first completed game!

It's a bit short but I hope people enjoy. It's also very very easy! ;) I started marking this for my girlfriend over a year ago, so decided to finish it off for MAGS. Unfortunately, I only found out about the compo on Saturday!

Wall-E and Eve have returned from their adventure on the Axiom but there is still plenty of rubbish to sort out back home on Earth!

Download!

roll

Did you made all the graphics yourself?

Bulbapuck

Holy crap this looks good :D
*downloading*

Darius Poyer

I got the sense that I was playing a kids game, and if I judge it accordingly, its a very good game.

I enjoyed the simplified interaction and the fact that EVE seemed to take an interest in what you where doing. Logic might have been a bit flawed when the old robot needs mirrored light instead of just light to recharge, but I can't really get to bothered by that since, as previously stated, I felt like it was more a kids game than anything else.
I would attribute the feel of a children's game to the dialogue, because it lead's you by a short fuzzy leach at all times.

Still, its a pleasant game, the art-style is very clear and easy to look at. Nice work.

markbilly

@Darius Poyer: Yeah, because of the nature of the gui I'd created and some of the logic, it worked best as a kids game. Thanks for the praise. :)

@roll: Yes, all the graphics were drawn by me.

Leon

A really nice game. Fantastic animations and sound effects. I do miss the feedback on interaction with object and inventory items though. I also have the feeling the game isn't completely finished? I can pick up a lot of objects to put in my inventory but have absolutely no use for them.

Spoiler
Only after putting up the mirror and creating reflection, the suggestion is made that the robot might need some recharging. In my first run I directly gave the grasshopper to the robot and he ran off. So no use for the mirror, sled, CD and other 'box' that's in my inventory.
[close]

As a suggestion and to extend the game, you might want to make funny animations (you're good at them) on the spot that give various random effects (ever played Freddi Fish?). Then you don't need them in your inventory but still have a use for them.

The interface is simple but sweet. Easy to use and not taking up unnecessary space.

Other suggestions are animating dialog characters and turning off debug mode ;-)

Well done!
Ultimate Game Solutions - Because there is a solution for everything

markbilly

Spoiler
The "use the bug on robot too early" bug is now fixed.
[close]
It's a complete game ruiner. :( If you re-download this is now fixed. The box is a reference to the film, so it would be nice to have some fun little animations, yes... :) There is one of these for if you use the bug on Eve, however.

Leon

Re-downloading then.... never saw that message. Sorry.

markbilly

Quote from: Leon on Wed 02/06/2010 11:00:58
Re-downloading then.... never saw that message. Sorry.

Not your fault, mine. For over-looking the inclusion of a simple if statement. ;)

Leon

That's better. Some other minor thingies:

I got stuck several times (literally) on locations without being able to move. I can't really say what caused this.
Spoiler
You can pick up the sled twice.. if you click the location it was before.
The sled is very difficult to attach to the robot.
[close]

markbilly

That's odd about being stuck, the walkable area is a big rectangle covering the whole area. :S

How do you mean
Spoiler
the sled is difficult to attach to the robot?
[close]

Bugger, re: picking up the sled. It's not urgent though, so I won't re-upload it again...

Leon

Quote from: markbilly on Wed 02/06/2010 11:47:11
How do you mean
Spoiler
the sled is difficult to attach to the robot?
[close]

The area to hit is very small and you have to use the right position on the sled to interact.

markbilly

Oh, of course. I need to make some cursor images for all the inv items. All this will hopefully get added in the 'post-MAGS' build :)

Igor Hardy

The game was short, but fun.

Indeed it was sometimes a bit difficult to guess if the cursor is over a hotspot or not.

I enjoyed being able to turn trash into cubes. Too bad there wasn't a puzzle to build something out of them.

markbilly

Quote from: Ascovel on Wed 02/06/2010 14:27:28
Too bad there wasn't a puzzle to build something out of them.

The scripting would have killed me! :P

Glad you liked it.

Joseph DiPerla

OOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHH A Wall-E Game... This I must play. Thanks!
Joseph DiPerla--- http://www.adventurestockpile.com
Play my Star Wars MMORPG: http://sw-bfs.com
See my Fiverr page for translation and other services: https://www.fiverr.com/josephdiperla
Google Plus Adventure Community: https://plus.google.com/communities/116504865864458899575

markbilly

I just wrote a little post about this game over at HardyDev.com

http://hardydev.com/2010/06/06/3-day-month-developing-a-short-game/

Quote from: Joseph DiPerla on Wed 02/06/2010 17:35:50
OOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHH A Wall-E Game... This I must play. Thanks!

Did you enjoy it? :)

straydogstrut

Quote from: markbilly on Sun 06/06/2010 17:22:10
I just wrote a little post about this game over at HardyDev.com

http://hardydev.com/2010/06/06/3-day-month-developing-a-short-game/

Hope it's all right to be bumping this thread; it's not THAT old but still...I didn't get around to playing it 'til now, sorry=(

Really enjoyed this game. I had some problems with the sled too but other than that it was very straightforward. The animations were great, especially making the cubes. Does seem to be aimed at children, but nothing wrong with that given the subject matter. I'm a big kid at heart anyway ;)

Good article (and comments!) on hardydev, glad the process was helpful=)

markbilly

Hi straydogstrut, thanks for the nice comments :)

Voting for MAGS May ends soon so get playing the other entries and vote.

markbilly

Just found out that I won MAGS! :D

Thanks to everyone that voted, the competition was VERY strong this month :)

P.S. There will hopefully be a more user friendly post-MAGS version arriving very soon.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk