Text Quest - (MEGA update)

Started by Atelier, Tue 08/06/2010 19:19:14

Previous topic - Next topic

Atelier

Text Quest - a text RPG!

Come and explore a land where gnomes fight faeries; where there is a city made entirely of amber; where creatures of myth still roam; and where the roads are open for you to explore. Fighter, quester, adventurer... or all and more.

Text Quest is a sprawling text RPG with hundreds of locations, making it easy, if not guaranteed, to get lost in. It uses a fusion of classic parser control, and more modern game features, such as a robust quest, combat and equipment system.

It's not just about creating the strongest fighter, or wielding the most powerful weapon, although it can be if you wish. It's about exploring a world which your imagination helps to create; interacting with the people and objects around you; learning about the rich cultures and observing the scenery change as you wander the land; and watching your character grow from your very first steps, to fighting dragons on top of mountains.

Players can also enter uniquely generated dungeons from locations across the land. These include barrows, underground lairs, and ice caves, all with their own resident monsters, and of course, treasure to loot! Quests are a mixture of problem solving, fight and fetch, or more in-depth narratives.

If you are unfamiliar to text-based games, TQ is ideal, because it offers a more graphical introduction to the genre. If you are familiar, Text Quest won't hold your hand. It is something which lets you explore and experiment at your own pace.

• Five races: human, goblin, gnome, fairy and yeti
• Design every aspect of your character
• Over 100 (and counting) weapons/armour!
• Generated dungeons (alpha)
• Fight alongside allies in battle
• Trusty mounts!
• Explore, damn it!!

Screens (outdated)

Dualnames

The game is looking and sounding very rad! I've sent you a pm.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Codex

Awesome - awesome - awesome.  A nice, original feel to the gui and parser as well.

If you need any play testing done, don't hesitate to let me know!

discordance

Oh SWEET. This looks KILLER. Is it a linear kind of thing or more open-ended?

Atelier

The plot stays the same, but yes, there's multiple ways of going about it - just depends of which method you notice first :=

Thanks for all your comments so far.

Dataflashsabot

Making a text based game?
PLEASE IMPLEMENT 'X' AS A SYNONYM OF 'LOOK'!!!!
Thank you. There have been too many games that don't do that. This is looking great!

Atelier

Data, I hope L instead of X will be ok? :P

Khris

Quote from: AtelierGames on Tue 20/07/2010 20:17:54Ps. Data, I hope L instead of X will be ok? :P

In many Infocom games (and all fan games built using Inform), 'x' can be used to examine / look at stuff, while 'l' will reprint the current room description.

Thus, while players new to text adventures won't care if it's x or l, those used to them -including me- would greatly appreciate 'x'. :)

Virgil

Chicky

Yeah this looks great! It's brave to devote so much time to a somewhat neglected art. potential for a phone/app port!

Gravity

Oooooo. IF game. I love IF. Just love it. As someone who used to write IF using various tools of the trade (I prefer Inform 7 now - well I try it anyway), this has gotten my attention.

Also for those old school lovers of IF. X was mostly used as a shortcut for examine. L for look. Look and examine were totally 'different' back then, M'kay. Seriously though, finish this game. In my humble opinion IF will always be the greatest form of gaming entertainment in the world.

Atelier

Wow, thanks for all the really kind comments.

As far as X goes, will do! ;)

Gravity

Well this thought sort of kills the whole text game but ever thought of adding in selectable keywords or commands into your game. You could use your mouse to select a highlighted keyword or whatever to perform that action. Or at the very least use bold words or highlight actions a player could take so people would have an easier time playing? Me, I'm old school IF so it doesn't really matter to me. Just a thought.

Atelier

There actually is no mouse, but if there was, it's something I would consider. Or perhaps to highlight NPC names, etc, and link you to a compendium of background information.
Incidentally, (OT) but can one override the cursors in your games, so it uses the default system cursor (as an ultimate solution to having a sprite)?

I'm planning to release a one room demo in a few weeks time, to showcase all the features. So watch this space for that :D

Wonkyth

Selectable keywords is a good thing, when it was added to some of the mid-recent Spiderweb software games it removed some of the tedium.(Neth: Res was a prime example of how helpful it was.)
"But with a ninja on your face, you live longer!"

CaptainD

USE WICKER BASKER WITH PIOUS MONK...

Ah, the possibilities...

This is looking really, really good.  ;D :D ;D

Gravity

You should use that TCP/IP Plugin and turn this into a AGS MUD. Yeah, that would be awesome. Wishful thinking and all that. Oh well, even if that doesn't happen I'm still looking forward to some IF goodness.

Ali

Quote from: CaptainD on Mon 26/07/2010 16:44:59

Ah, the possibilities...

Sorry, I don't know the word 'BASKER'. Please try again.
>

Atelier

Actually I wrote some code recently that accepted subtle spelling mistakes of words in the dictionary. But it only worked to a degree.

Oh well. Perhaps it's a challenge for BTQ! ;)

CaptainD

Quote from: Ali on Wed 28/07/2010 12:02:42
Quote from: CaptainD on Mon 26/07/2010 16:44:59

Ah, the possibilities...

Sorry, I don't know the word 'BASKER'. Please try again.
>

Gah, you really would never know that I actually type for a living...  ::)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk