Over the Edge - Now with mini backdrop tutorial!

Started by theo, Tue 13/07/2010 21:26:25

Previous topic - Next topic

theo

Chapter one
Over the Edge

The Journey Down is a classical point and click adventure game, full to the brim with puzzles, conspiracies, mystery and adventure!

In chapter 1 "Over the Edge" we follow Bwana and his trusted sidekick Kito, as they struggle to make ends meet at their waterfront gas station in an off-beat place called Kingsport bay. When all hope seems lost and the power company is on their case with a mean threat, something promising appears. A woman. A woman with cash. What strings does she come attached with? What secrets are hiding underneath her fair surface? Find out, in chapter one of The Journey Down!

The game as a whole (4 chapters) has been a project of mine for over 4 years. Most of this time has been spent writing and sketching the whole plot out, but another large part has been scripting, animating and pasting together that wich is about to be released as chapter 1: Over the Edge. To say that I underestimated the size of this project when I started it would be a tremendous understatement. However, I now finally have enough of chapter 1 finished to feel comfortable with making this post. More or less everything is finished. Some music and sound still needs to be lodged in place, and some final rounds of testing need to be done, but apart from that, we are ready for launch.

Room art (won't appear this hi-res in the game)

I am aiming for a release of "Over the Edge" some time late August. As we all know though, such dates are bound to change.

Key features:

* Dazzling full motion cinematics!
* More than 20 Locations!
* Over 15 bizzare characters!
* An all original jazzy reggae soundtrack!

Keep your eyes on this thread for updates. And, err.. sorry for lurking for five years.  ::)

CaptainD

Fantastic background graphics!  With that and the jazz / reggae soundtrack, I think we23 can forgive you for lurking.  ;D

tzachs

Did somebody see my jaw? I think I dropped it somewhere...

This is fantastic! This has just become my number one anticipated game!

Knox

Wow, this looks awesome...very very nice designs...
--All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

Matti

Wow, mighty impressive artwork you got there. I love the backgrounds and really dig the character style. Jazzy reggae sounds good too.

This looks and sounds as if the four years of work are well worth it. I am so looking forward to this one.

Ryan Timothy B

Hey, Theo, it's good to see you posting this production thread.  I almost emailed you the other day asking if you had added all that missing music yet.

This game was lots of fun to beta test, and I was completely impressed with the graphics.  If you want me to do a final beta test (that would be like the 6th or 7th beta test now. haha), I would definitely give it another go.

Dualnames

Quote from: tzachs on Tue 13/07/2010 21:45:05
Did somebody see my jaw? I think I dropped it somewhere...

This is fantastic! This has just become my number one anticipated game!

Seconded. And I was like, ah, where's a mindblowing project?
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

CaptainD

Is it just me or are the background graphics kinda remeniscent of Westwood's classic "Bladerunner"?  Not sure why but something's reminding me of the artwork in that game.

Ali

Really very, very nice. Really!

ThreeOhFour

Hey man, you finally joined the forums!

Can't wait to see this released  8)

Domino

It looks like utter garbage, sorry.

Spoiler
SWEET SASSY MOLLASSSY THIS GAME LOOKS AWESOME AS HELL.
[close]

TerranRich

This game looks absolutely amazing! I can't wait for it to be released. ;D

theo

Thanks all for your kind words! I'm glad the screenies make an impression, as my life has more or less revolved around working on this for the past four years. I will do my very best not to disappoint you.

Ryan: Heh, if you're up to it, there's a new beta waiting for you, with new backdrop anims and a bunch of new puzzles. I'll send you an email. Thanks for all your help man. I'm sorry I keep pushing out new versions... But I like it polished!

CaptainD: Perhaps the backdrop skyscrapers give you the br mood? I'm a big fan of Syd Mead, perhaps it shows through:)

Ben304: Hey dude! Yeah sorry for lurking. I just figured, once I join here I'll never get any work done so I've stayed away as good as I can. If you are up for another beta run I'd love to send it to you, I can see if you are fed up with it by now though heh.

Thanks again

arj0n

Quote from: Ryan Timothy on Tue 13/07/2010 22:28:38
This game was lots of fun to beta test, and I was completely impressed with the graphics. 
If you want me to do a final beta test (that would be like the 6th or 7th beta test now. haha), I would definitely give it another go.
Fully agreed.
When needed I'd like to rejoin for the final beta testround too  ;)

SuperDre

Looks amazing, can't wait to play it... hehe..

Benworks Creations

Looks amazing! I'd love to try this. If only I could do backgrounds of that style.

Daniel Thomas

Snyggt!
Absolutely something Im looking forward to play.
Check out The Journey of Iesir Demo | Freelance artist, check out my Portfolio

Romeo

For me is the best game in production at the moment...congrats!!

Takyon

Mind=blown

The graphics are amazing and the characters look a bit like tiki
ghost.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk