Started by Daniel Thomas, Sun 18/07/2010 07:18:06

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptainD

Quote from: J.H on Sun 30/01/2011 18:44:05
You guys are taunting us, not fair :D.

We prefer to call it "Building Anticipation".  ;D ;D

Daniel Thomas

(not ingame screenshot)

Yea, Something like this. Now imagine good music, funny dialogs and atmospheric effects on top of that. :)

I'm mainly posting to let people now that we're looking for one or two animators again, as our last one disappeared for unknown reasons. One hint was lack of time though. See first page under 'Help wanted'.

So if you're an awesome animator or know somebody who is, let us know! :)

Thanks!
Check out The Journey of Iesir Demo | Freelance artist, check out my Portfolio

cianty

That's not a game - that's an animated movie!

But you put it there.. "not ingame screenshot". What does that mean? How does the game differ? I guess visually it's not much different only that this exact scene only occurs in a cutscene?
ca. 70% completed

Daniel Thomas

Nothing differs really, just wanted to be honest. This is why I didn't update the first post as we don't have everything ingame yet to produce a "screenshot" :)
The game resolution is 1024x786 though, so its a scrolling room.

Monsieur OUXX

Is it meant to be the same character as the in the very first screenshot?
If so, I liked the first one way better. This one looks so... Disney-ish! Disney making a Guybrush Threepwood movie. Yuck, gives me the shivers.

cianty

Yep, Disney movie is what I thought but refrained from saying...  ::)
ca. 70% completed

chapter11studios

Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on Wed 02/02/2011 16:30:44
Is it meant to be the same character as the in the very first screenshot? If so, I liked the first one way better. This one looks so... Disney-ish! Disney making a Guybrush Threepwood movie. Yuck, gives me the shivers.

What's wrong with Disney art? I like this new one, but both are awesome. This game looks phenomenal.

Anian

Quote from: cianty on Wed 02/02/2011 17:56:26
Yep, Disney movie is what I thought but refrained from saying...  ::)
Well the "no shading" and the colors (which I like btw) plus the new eyes, is what gives it the Disney look (although I'd say it's more of those Disney knockoff cartoons, not actual Disney production), obviously. Don't know if it's good or bad, depends on the tone of the game I guess, the previous style looked more serious.

Still, looking forward to the project.
I don't want the world, I just want your half

ALPHATT

From a purely technical viewpoint I think the new characters are better, also they are far removed from Disney, although I doubt disney does anything reminiscent of cel animatoon these days. Anyhow, I prefer the previous designs, I have this bad feeling that they just don't fit the overly detailed backgrounds like previous ones. I'd love to see a middleground design. In truth though, I'd be happy with either design.

/sig

markbilly

I think it looks brilliant! Stick with it :)

cianty

I find the first character looking unique and special whereas the new is rather ... harmless?
ca. 70% completed

ddq

I much prefer the new character design. The old one seemed almost bland and inhuman, sort of stiff and untrustworthy. Probably the tiny eyes. The new one has a lot more life in it, though the feminine physique could be toned down a little. If it weren't for the male face, it could pass as a flat-chested woman with those hips.

Ryan Timothy B

We went through many different character designs for Mikael and landed on this one as being the best, so it's interesting to hear what your thoughts between the two are. It took me a little to get used to the new design, but I definitely prefer it more now.

As for the 'not ingame screenshot' comment, it's mainly because I haven't uploaded a newer release yet with the new character designs and background improvements. Since you guys said we were teasing you, Zyndikate threw it all together in Photoshop. In-game it looks pretty much the same, just with dust particles, animations, fading light beams and such. I feel it looks fabulous, to be honest.

Daniel Thomas

Oh, so many opinions, I like it! :)

As for the new design, we the team landed on this one as it fits the characters personality much better. The old one was way too sarcastic and troublesomed(word?) looking. I feel confident in the new design. (I didn't do the design btw)

Btw, is these opinions directed towards Mikael(the red coat) or both?
Maybe we should throw this into the c&c forum? As so many seems to have an opinion about Mikael. :)

Derrick Freeland

I think the over all style and design of the characters is very well done.  The only problem I see is that they no longer match the environment as well as your first design go-around.  I liked the first design for Mikael.  It was a lot more interesting to look at, and had a bit more personality.

Darth Mandarb

Quote from: zyndikate on Wed 02/02/2011 23:25:16Maybe we should throw this into the c&c forum?

Yes.

This got quickly out of hand in here!  Which I understand, the screenshot is amazing!

But please post in the CL if you want these kinds of opinions but to the rest let's stay on target!

Sughly

I really love the new direction here guys. I think it looks really clean and full of character. Ducking back and forth between screens for comparison, I think they've just gone from strength to strength. Well done! Apart from Deponia, this is my most anticipated game  ;D

Kristof

Timeless Journey

arj0n

Is this going to be released as a commercial or freeware game?
If commercial I'm definitely going to buy it.

Keep up the good work Zyndicate and crew!!  ;)

cianty

Quote from: Arj0n on Sun 27/02/2011 15:12:33
Is this going to be released as a commercial or freeware game?
If commercial I'm definitely going to buy it.

+1. :)
ca. 70% completed

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk