Any games youd love to see made in a different genre?

Started by Peder 🚀, Sat 07/08/2010 21:54:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Peder 🚀

Like, you might love the characters in Monkey Island but would rather want to play a shooter where you fight Le Chuck and his skeletons, or maybe you wish Red Alert had been a Adventure game where youd control a group of soldiers through some sort of a mission point & click style. (Sure these are maybe bad examples but you should get the point!).

I myself, love this game called Gorky 17, but I dont like so much the fighting part of it.
And I would of loved to see it redone as a point & click 2D adventure.
Removing the monsters would ofcourse "ruin" it, but less monsters and different ways of fighting would to me be the answer. Id rather want a "real time" fight where youd have to time your choices.

Anyone else?

Babar

While Blackthorne was VERY MUCH an action game, it would be nice to see it as an adventure.

Another good one would be Coloniztaion (I'd say Civilization, but it would be hard to make a king/ruler running his country a good adventure game). It could be done like the novel Sarum, which would follow one family or something, over a period of 500 years, with the actions taken by one person would have consequences on his great-great-grandson.

Sticking with Sid Meier, Pirates! would also be fun to play as an adventure (it would perhaps be slightly more serious than the Monkey Islandish fare, not that Pirates! itself was very serious :D. Heck, I think the swordplay in Pirates inspired the pugilism is Indiana Jones, and almost caused a situation when it was wanted to have the same system in Monkey Island, diverting it by making it into Insult Swordfighting. )

Y'know, a lot of modern RPGs have a very heavy adventure game element in them. Like Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout, Mass Effect, Knights of the Old Republic etc. I can't imagine them significantly different if one said they wanted to "turn them into an RPG". Still, it would be hilarious to see Diablo 2 as an adventure game :D.
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

GarageGothic

I'd like an 'Alan Wake' remake, only with a decent story and more like 'Deadly Premonition' in terms of investigation/action ratio. Not necessarily sandbox, but definitely slower paced and with more focus on character interaction and storytelling through gameplay rather than cutscenes. I'm thinking along the lines of 'Nocturne' and the first 'Blair Witch' game, only without those static cameras angles that made targeting and moving so awkward. Oh, and for the love of god, some innovative gameplay mechanic that actually makes use of the hero's superpower to rewrite reality instead of relying on the same repetitive combat throughout.

Oh, and 'Gold Rush!' in the style of 'Red Dead Redemption' - without guns. And throw a bit of 'Lost Dutchman's Mine' in there while you're at it (wow, I haven't thought of that game in years, but I used to love it on the Amiga. Actually that game had so many elements similar to modern open-world games, way, way ahead of its time).

LimpingFish

Quote from: GarageGothic on Sat 07/08/2010 22:28:57
...like 'Deadly Premonition' in terms of investigation/action ratio.

Or just somebody to localize the PS3 version of Deadly Premonition. I want that game!

On topic, I'd like to see the Tenchu games as p'n'c adventures. Figuring out solutions to complex assassination plans could work well in a more cerebral context.
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Crimson Wizard

There was a time I wanted a Dungeon Keeper style strategy made based on Diablo setting, with all those fancy monsters and spells.
(OTOH that's rather crossbreeding games)

Daniel Eakins

We all have our time machines, don't we?

Phemar

Quote from: Pauca sed bona on Sun 08/08/2010 00:36:58
I would totally play this:

Haha I was just about to mention Brutal Legend. That game would kick ass as an adventure.

Igor Hardy

Interestingly, in Gorky 17 the fights were the element I liked the most.

As for my own pick... Psychonauts had a great premise of broken, psychotic minds realized as worlds that you can travel and explore, but didn't work as a dumb platformer at all. It should have stayed an adventure game. But, oh well, at least we have Mental Repairs Inc.

blueskirt

Such an interesting topic, yet, no matter how hard I try, I can't think of any game I'd completely trash the gameplay to replace it with another. Except maybe Yume Nikki.

Yume Nikki is a small indie game made with RPG maker. You are this little girl, and you explore your dreams. Every time you fall asleep, you find yourself in that room with 12 doors, each leading to different, strange, creepy places. In your dreams you'll find powers that will allow you to reach further area. The game ends when you find all powers.

Yeah. It sounds awesome on paper, but not a lot of game frustrate me as much as Yume Nikki does, because it is one of the most original and most horribly executed game idea I ever seen: Instead of focusing on acquiring powers and using them, 99.9% of game consist of fine combing huge, looping, empty rooms and mazes with a couple of landmarks in them, in search for said powers or doors that will lead to more huge, looping, empty rooms and mazes.

If it was up to me, I'd keep the same concept of a little girl exploring her dreams, but I'd completely trash that shallow gameplay to replace it with Loom's gameplay, focusing on acquiring special powers, solving puzzles with them, meeting and conversing with strange creatures, and exploring beautifully drawn but none the less creepy and abstract locations, with a tighter plot to wrap the game.

Armageddon

LRH

I want to see my games ported to commodore64. Possibly as TEXT adventures. Honestly. I think it would be cool to see a lot of games these days ported to something super old school, just to see what it would look like.

InCreator

old Cinemaware classics (you can actually download them now)
It Came from the Desert - it was "sort of" adventure game, but I'd love to see it as more traditional point'n'click
King of Chicago - Same here. Remove arcade sequences and win/fail dialogue, turn it into a proper adventure - solid gold

Gangsters - an adventure? A proper tycoon without broken, unbalanced feel? Both would rock.

Gilbert

Quote from: InCreator on Mon 09/08/2010 07:28:12
It Came from the Desert - it was "sort of" adventure game, but I'd love to see it as more traditional point'n'click
Well, as far as I remember this "cult classic" was already more or less a different game for almost every platform. For example, the unreleased Mega Drive/Genesis version (the ROM is freely downloadable from the official link you posted) was mostly a strictly action game or something and the TG16 CD version (which I actually own, but I never have the courage to start playing it) incorporated crappy FMV scenes (by crappy I think it fit the B horror movie style though) done by real actors and the action scenes had broken controls (like most western TG16 games :() that most people considered it an unbeatable mess.

straydogstrut

I would like to see either Cowboy Bebop or the Stargate SG-1 series (up to the end of Season 8 - none of that Atlantis crap) translated into any decent game genre.

Just getting the abandoned US release of Cowboy Bebop: Tsuioku no Serenade would be great (though I could just learn Japanese ;-) ), but I suspect the Japanese version is more fighting game than adventure game, so i'd like to see a proper adventure game, maybe in an episodic format, one bounty at a time;-) Not that Spike's martial art skills wouldn't be fun to play. You could even break the series into separate games - fighting, flying-sim etc - rather than trying to shoe-horn them all into one.

There have been so many unsuccessful attempts at a Stargate game, it's depressing. I know Stargate: Resistance is out, but again it looks all action-y, basically just a Stargate themed Unreal Tournament. I might have wanted that a few years ago, but not now. I think the Stargate universe could easily support an adventure game or an rpg like Oblivion. Or even a strategy game - either Homeworld style (last time I checked I think there was a mod out there somewhere) or, even better, a commandos style game were you go up against the Goa-uld with your little SG squad=)

They're both ripe for game ideas imo so i'm surprised they haven't been more successful=S

Guybrush Nosehair

I think Another World could be made into a really cool point and click adventure.

It also would have been really great if Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine AND Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb were made into point and clicks.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk