Nimbus! - AGS Steam - PreAlpha release

Started by Calin Leafshade, Wed 18/08/2010 16:23:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Igor Hardy

Quote from: Buckethead on Fri 22/04/2011 10:05:03
I've been using Nimbus to catch up on some games but I've noticed that it doesn't always show if I've played a game. Several games in the list still mark as "Never played" while I've fired them up and played a bit.

Even Steam has this feature broken.

Calin Leafshade

Quote from: Buckethead on Fri 22/04/2011 10:05:03
I've been using Nimbus to catch up on some games but I've noticed that it doesn't always show if I've played a game. Several games in the list still mark as "Never played" while I've fired them up and played a bit.

Yea, thats a known bug which has been fixed in recent builds. I just havent released it yet.

Peder 🚀

I am looking for these games for the AGSArchives.com: http://www.agsarchives.com/missing_games.php
If you happen to have one or more of these please send me a shout through PM!

Igor Hardy

Could this be true? Nimbus is being ported to PSN, and will be now called Nimbus+: http://www.diygamer.com/2011/05/nimbus-nimbus-psn-users/

SpacePirateCaine

For what it's worth, I spent an hour, roughly, troubleshooting an issue I was having with Nimbus, wherein the library window displayed nothing but a blank white box. After uninstalling and reinstalling a few times and even a system restart, I realized that my firewall (ZoneAlarm) was interfering with Nimbus accessing its database. If anyone else is having an issue where they are unable to view the library and install/view game content, you may need to manually configure your firewall to accept incoming and possibly outgoing connections from Nimbus.

Just FYI. Great product Calin, I'm having a blast. Just to mention - though I'm not sure if anyone is really downloading in the first place - the version of Kuma Story available to download via Nimbus is an older version, using 'borrowed' music. I have no idea who should be informed about it, so I apologize if this is the wrong place for it. As a semi-related question, is Nimbus going to be able to keep download statistics: number of downloads, etc. for individual titles, so that the developers can keep track? By that right, will developers somehow have a way to upload and manage their content for the Nimbus platform at some point? I imagine that may be a tall order, but it would be great to know.
Check out MonstroCity! | Level 0 NPCs on YouTube! | Life's far too short to be pessimistic.

Calin Leafshade

All the online support, including the DB, is maintained by peder so if its not related to the actual client there's not much i can do about it.

The version here is quite old and there are alot of new features now including dos game support out of the box.
I'll try and get the final version + source out fairly soon. I'm not going to expand it beyond AGS games anymore so should be fairly straightforward to fix it up.

need to fix some graphics too:

Peder 🚀

Calin has found other things to do than work on Nimbus! But he is such a nice guy he gave me the source code for it!
Now I know nothing about c# but I've managed to understand some of the stuff and have created a new build with a design that fits the new design build of the AGSA website. Please download and check it out. Feedback would be very much appreciated! (Design still needs changes done. Menu button colors etc).

My good friend knows c# so hopefully he will be helping me adding the currently missing features. But if anyone else knows c# and would love to help out please do give me a shout! :).

Calin Leafshade

Peder, your first priority is to get the automatic update system working. It's almost functional, you just need to get it to download the new exe and replace the old one.

Once the auto update thing works you can release a final version and update more easily.

straydogstrut

Quote from: Peder Johnsen+ on Tue 08/11/2011 16:15:12
Calin has found other things to do than work on Nimbus!
:'( I sort of thought he had .. I saw the odd mention around the forums but I think I missed the official announcement if there was one. I just can't keep up with you kids, you move too damn fast.

I hope this is a 'good thing' for you Calin? That you're happy to let it go and are moving on to brighter things? Nexus/Nimbus blew my mind when you first released the preAlpha - I really look forward to seeing what you're up to next, and of course your Bake Sale game :D

Quote from: Peder Johnsen+ on Tue 08/11/2011 16:15:12
..have created a new build with a design that fits the new design build of the AGSA website. Please download and check it out. Feedback would be very much appreciated!

Nice to see you taking this on board Peder, good man!

I'm not overly keen on the slight re-design of Nimbus to be honest. It's a bit sterile without the dreamy graphic Calin had in there before, but I understand if you're not allowed to use it. I actually like the menu button colours though, but they perhaps don't go with the AGSA website. I do like that they're now on top - this is similar to the website and allows more space in the Nimbus interface - however it does feel quite empty on the left hand side now without that column there. With the background graphic and side bar before, it kind of framed the content. Now the content seems to float in the middle of the window. I'm not really sure what to suggest though as I think too much clutter would be a bad idea.

Hmm..yeah..actually what you have is growing on me now, forget I said anything!

I'd like to see the default scrollbars go if at all possible; they're too much of a reminder that i'm looking at a website inside an application. A thinner solid colour little vertical sausage shape would look quite nice against a black strip or something depending on the final colour choices.

Couple of functional quirks:

- The width of the list of games in the games section cannot be resized. Not essential but would be nice to have.

- There doesn't seem to be any images for the games I already had downloaded. Do I need to re-add them? I installed this version straight over the old one (Ah..I bet that overwrote the folder where the local images were stored, didn't it? Okay my bad..)

- Trying to download a game that is 'coming soon' crashes Nimbus. The Access games being examples. You also can't tell this unless you are on the game's page, which I had forgotten how to get to (It didn't help that ! made it a bit of a pixel hunt ;) )

- A visible resize handle in bottom right hand corner for the window would be nice

Some minor formatting issues on some of the game's pages here and there but all good overall though - i'm really pleased to see this is still being worked on ;D Let me know if there's anything I can do to help you out. Don't know anything about the development environment Calin used to build this, but I can get cracking on those screenshots for the website and do some proof reading of the games pages or something (unless you've got that covered which you probably have).

Peder 🚀

Thanks for the feedback straydogstrut!
I'll definitely take them onboard!

Also I do actually need more people to help with adding/fixing screens, and sort the descriptions and such out!
Like alot of descriptions contains links, and things not really important to players.

I'll PM you once my "moderation" system is finished (hopefully sometime before end of next week!).

Sane Co.

I have a suggestion, you should incorperate user rating, and cups in searching for games. Though this isn't the most reliable way to search, it would be nice to have that option.

Peder 🚀

I would add that option if those features ever get added ;). As of now there are no user rating nor cup rating on AGSA.

jannar85

Did this project just die? I surely hope not :shocked:
Looked promising.
Veteran, writer... with loads of unreleased games. Work in progress.

arj0n

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk