Pixelween: Icons of Horror 9/27-10/13 - GAME OVER -

Started by Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens, Mon 27/09/2010 09:12:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Alright gang, welcome to another edition of Pixelween, this edition starring your favorite (or most familiar) horror icons in their very own game!

That's right!  It's your job to create a convincing 2d game mockup for Ashley J. Williams, or perhaps you want to give Pinhead and the Cenobites free roam of Earth to capture souls at their leisure?  The choice is yours, but with a couple of limitations:

1.  Player/npc/enemy sprites may not exceed 32 colors (all numbers are excluding transparency).  This goes for everyone.

2.  Backgrounds may have any number of colors.

3.  Objects, pickups, powerups, and the like may not exceed 16 colors.

4.  There must be a visible game user interface of some kind.

5.  Should be an 'action shot' of the game as though it were being played, so don't just submit a title screen (though you can do one of those as well)!

*6.  In spoiler tags, please add a reference or the name of the characters/movie your game mockup is about.

*7.  Any game genre can be used, though the topic must be horror/horror-comedy.  This includes FPS,action,adventure,shooter,puzzle game-what the hell!  

Just to be clear, the color restrictions apply to each item individually, ie, different sprites can have different colors.

Good luck, fright fans!

THRILL ME.

Eggie

You set the best Sprite Jam topics, Progz. That's why I'm happy you win every third one.

EDIT:

Explanations and such: The movie's House By The Cemetery by Lucio Fulci, the two characters are the main protagonist and his wife (whose names I'm afraid escape me), the UI up top is how close the main guy's son (who I actually remember is called Bob) is to getting gotted by the horrifically evil Dr Freudstein and the inventory items to the right are a file on Freudstein's diabolical research, a dead bat and an axe.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Thanks!  That's a cool UI.  Could you add a spoiler with the name of the movie/characters you're doing a mockup for?  Not every one will get these, so it's a good way to keep them in the loop.

abstauber

Yeah, great topic! I'm not sure if I can meet the deadline though (with background, GUI, characters and stuff)... but I'll try :)

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

If enough people are interested in this and need more time I'm sure I can extend the deadline to accommodate. :)

abstauber

Don't worry. I start with a "borrowed" background and continue crying afterwards :D

Ponch

Quote from: ProgZmax on Wed 29/09/2010 12:33:32
If enough people are interested in this and need more time I'm sure I can extend the deadline to accommodate. :)

I have something I hope to work on this weekend or the next. I think I can get it in before the deadline. But we'll see, I guess.

Good topic, by the way.

- Ponch

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

I think it would be the first sprite jam you've entered so by all means do so!

Ponch

Quote from: ProgZmax on Thu 30/09/2010 16:12:28
I think it would be the first sprite jam you've entered so by all means do so!
Clearly you've forgotten all about my Snoopy fish from a while back. Tsk tsk.

- Ponch

Ponch

Excuse the double post, but I wanted to assure proper bumpage (and modifying the previous post seemed a bit out of place anyway).

So, without further ado, here is my submission for Pixelween!

Required Game Play Screen

This stunning action shot shows Prick* (yeah, that's right, i drug the Barn Runner universe into this. I apologize for nothing!) navigating the sewers of the city, fighting his way through hordes of the (SPOILER) that make this stinky place their home. It's old school, side scrolling, mutant blasting goodness!

Bonus Menu Screen

And here is the menu for this (as yet) non-existent yet totally awesome game. For some reason, it features Debbie instead of Prick. And for some curious and shockingly unexplored reason, she's all dolled up like Pam Grier from the height of 70s blaxploitation awesomeness. Can you dig it? (I knew that you could).

And so there you have it, my entry for Pixelween (and only the second AGS contest I've ever entered). Will I get my heart broken by yet another brutal snubbing? Hell yes I will. But I don't care, baby. Because thanks to this little side project, I had an excuse to watch two of my favorite movies: Coffy and the movie that this game's monsters are taken from...

Spoiler
C.H.U.D.
[close]

One of my favorite low budget yet cool concept movies from the early 80s.

Let the overwhelming indifference to my efforts begin! :D

- Ponch
_________
* In order to meet the required color limitations, Prick is wearing an unusually subdued shirt in this game. (I did what I had to do, but it just feels wrong somehow).

GreenBoy

I'm not a huge horror fan but I am a fan of the game Scot Pilgrim vs the World.  Originally I thought it would be cool to have a Van Helsing type character beating up all the traditional monsters from film and fiction such as the Wolfman, the Creature from the Black Lagoon, Dracula etc, I only got to do Frankenstein though... :(

I'm very happy with it, I feel it has a style that I'm quite comfy with.   ;D

Now I want to make it into a real game.

Ponch

Quote from: GreenBoy on Wed 06/10/2010 09:52:08
Originally I thought it would be cool to have a Van Helsing type character beating up all the traditional monsters from film and fiction such as the Wolfman, the Creature from the Black Lagoon, Dracula etc, I only got to do Frankenstein though... :(

I think this needs to be made into a real game as soon as possible. Also, I like Frank's shirt. ;)

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Ponch- Prick looks like he's using a hell of a lot fewer than 32 colors to me.

*Just to be clear, the color restrictions apply to each item individually, ie, different sprites can have different colors.

Also, these are fairly brilliant so far, but there need to be MORE.

Ponch

Quote from: ProgZmax on Thu 07/10/2010 00:41:40
Ponch- Prick looks like he's using a hell of a lot fewer than 32 colors to me.

True. He's using eleven or twelve colors, I think. But I never made a fill pattern for any of his shirts that uses less than forty colors. If the game were ever to be made, I'd probably use this nice vomit-y green one I made way back when but never used. But I had to play by the rules... this time. (Fight the power!)

- Ponch

GreenBoy

SpacePirateCaine

Is it bad that before reading GreenBoy's explanation I thought that the protagonist in his entry was Peter Molyneux? All it needs is a downtrodden zombie Milo.
Check out MonstroCity! | Level 0 NPCs on YouTube! | Life's far too short to be pessimistic.

Armageddon

I'm so entering this, I think I got here a little late though. :(

EDIT: A little W.I.P. menu screen.

Ponch

Quote from: Armageddon on Fri 08/10/2010 16:34:18
I'm so entering this, I think I got here a little late though. :(

You still have a few days. You can still make the deadline for pixel-y spookiness! :)

abstauber

Argh, my time management went to hell. Could I get an extension please?

Look I drew you a GUI!

Pleease?

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

EXTENSION GRANTED: You have 1 more day.  MORE ENTRIES.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk