AGSArchives.com design

Started by Peder 🚀, Sun 17/10/2010 04:20:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Peder 🚀

So I am finally starting to get going properly with AGSArchives.com.
And I have come to the point where I would like some feedback on the design and if there are any parts I could do differently/better etc.

http://www.agsarchives.com/

BatWitch

Hmm.. I'm on a lowly netbook (1024x600 resolution)
http://i.imgur.com/cAxH8.jpg
I don't know if this is important or not, but when the site loads, I see the top and bottom advertisements, and the logo, and that is about it.
It may be nice if there were interesting screenshots of games visible first thing so that an unsuspecting visitor would know what the site is about :)

Peder 🚀

Thanks for the reply :).

I've decided to remove the google ads from every page except the download page shown when coming from a different website. That should help a bit I would think :).

There is a latest games section on the right hand side, but I might make some type of "showcase" thingie under the navigation bar too.

arj0n

The main page could use a fancy top banner telling the visitor what the site is/offers, something like:
"AGSArchives - The AGS Games Depot"
or
"AGSArchives - All AGS Games archived"

[cough]ok, I'm not that good in making up slogans...[/cough]

Ali

I'd prefer a sans serif font for the links 'Games Catalogue', 'Tools/Mods'. The font you have looks a little narrow in places and hard to read on my screen. I also feel that the blue bar is taller than it needs to be. And the banner advert at the top seemed too tall (but maybe that's what the sponsors want!).

Other than that, the layout struck me as very nice and clear.

Peder 🚀

What about the font I use now?

Al_Ninio

Making it less of a GoG.com clone would probably be for the best.

Anian

Hmm, instead of the "agsarchive.com beta" letters, you might wanna put a logo (either pic with title below it or distinct lettering), because the page just doesn't have a clear indication which site it is, looks a bit too generic (although I like the overall elegant design, I think it lacks something that'll "pop out", something recognizable when looking at the page).
Personally, at first, I thought the ad was the banner of the page, you have to make that site menu a bit more pronounced, so something that draws the eye just a bit and is not so blended in would be nice. I suggest just basically anything that breaks the menu bar a bit (that is not within the edges)...maybe like a folder icon Windows use but with a blue cup on it, or something like that.

Now for some things that bug me in general, but I know they're not really practical to implement:
-  this is really a personal preference, but I kind of hate not having more screenshots on the ags games page, maybe a title picture and an in-game shot would be ideal, but I know that kind of creates extra traffic on the site, so I understand it in some ways. I like to be able to see how the game actually looks and is more than 50% of the basis on which I decide if I'll download.

-  suggestion with categories/descriptions - like that strong language/adult content sign (I don't really mind this though, there aren't that many adult theme/content games and it could be placed under the "genre" info) and voiced or not sign, could be cool...

All in all though, it looks fine as it is now.
I don't want the world, I just want your half

monkey0506

My only complaint is that IWWHI^2TOMI5 hasn't been uploaded yet. :=

Actually..I should probably upload the source of that already..seeing as it was promised..

Buckethead

I dislike how the site logo is still overshadowed by the big ad above it. I don't mind a few ads to get around but your site logo is so small in comparison.

Peder 🚀

Quote from: anian
Hmm, instead of the "agsarchive.com beta" letters, you might wanna put a logo (either pic with title below it or distinct lettering), because the page just doesn't have a clear indication which site it is, looks a bit too generic (although I like the overall elegant design, I think it lacks something that'll "pop out", something recognizable when looking at the page).
Personally, at first, I thought the ad was the banner of the page, you have to make that site menu a bit more pronounced, so something that draws the eye just a bit and is not so blended in would be nice. I suggest just basically anything that breaks the menu bar a bit (that is not within the edges)...maybe like a folder icon Windows use but with a blue cup on it, or something like that.

I'd make a proper banner/logo for the site but I am not very good when it comes to such things and currently have no resources left over to pay this logo designer I usually use for other projects of mine to make a logo etc. I actually have a crappy logo I made myself of a folder icon with a blue cup in it:

I made it for the original design I started with but feel it not being nice enough to implement in the new design...

Now for some things that bug me in general, but I know they're not really practical to implement:
-  this is really a personal preference, but I kind of hate not having more screenshots on the ags games page, maybe a title picture and an in-game shot would be ideal, but I know that kind of creates extra traffic on the site, so I understand it in some ways. I like to be able to see how the game actually looks and is more than 50% of the basis on which I decide if I'll download.

Most of the games currently on there only include the screenshots that the AGS database does because I haven't really got to adding more. If you go on some of the games that actually also have a download most of them have several screenshots only showing the first one on the page but by clicking the screen you open a gallery. Making this a bit more obvious I guess could be good :).

-  suggestion with categories/descriptions - like that strong language/adult content sign (I don't really mind this though, there aren't that many adult theme/content games and it could be placed under the "genre" info) and voiced or not sign, could be cool...

All in all though, it looks fine as it is now.

Such features are allready implemented (voiced or not etc) but this require me to know what games have these features before I can add it. (Luckely Arj0n has basically done the job for me to find out what games have what :)).

So those type of things will be included (except adult/strong language content stuff).

Quote from: monkey_05_06 on Mon 18/10/2010 04:47:43
My only complaint is that IWWHI^2TOMI5 hasn't been uploaded yet. :=

Don't worry, it will come soon! :P.

(deleted)

(deleted)

Peder 🚀

Typo fixed, and glad you like those "FREE" buttons ^^

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk