Background Blitz - Underground (Winner Announced!)

Started by Ilyich, Wed 27/10/2010 13:46:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Ilyich

...And the theme for the new Background Blitz is... (drumroll)... ...(awkward pause)... Yes, you've already seen it in the topic title, I know.

Underground
Extended to Nov 15th

You are free to interpret that whichever way you like - from an abandoned dieselpunk subway station to a small hole in the ground.
As long as it's technically under the ground (or not, underground music club works too), dark (or not, it can be brightly illuminated) and AGS-compatible - you're in.

You have about 2 weeks. Good luck!

Matt Frith

I'm working on something :) Should be ready soon.

Sughly

Tier's entering! Ooooh... you did so well last time I'm more tempted to enter myself now. If I get some spare time  :-[

Mad

Unfortunately not very imaginative, it's just a generic sewer:

Starting out, the BG was going to be this nice allusion towards "Neverwhere" by Neil Gaiman, but the only thing remaining of that grand idea is an illegible sign saying "Knightsbridge"!

Hey, wouldn't that story, or that world make an excellent game...

Ilyich

@Mad
Nice one! Love the murky palette and soft lighting. Definitely would've played the game with this kind of backgrounds.

QuoteHey, wouldn't that story, or that world make an excellent game...
Everything by Gaiman would, though. :)

@Tier
Can't wait for your entry! :)

@Sughly
Do it! Show us what you're made of! ;)

Anian

Quote from: Mad on Fri 05/11/2010 19:24:12Starting out, the BG was going to be this nice allusion towards "Neverwhere" by Neil Gaiman, but the only thing remaining of that grand idea is an illegible sign saying "Knightsbridge"!

Hey, wouldn't that story, or that world make an excellent game...
Heh, yeah, it probably would, the format of a journey and quest is there with an interesting "not yet a hero, in a new world" version, though the book itself is in my mind not the best Gaiman can offer.

Since I posted, might as well get an entry slot here, I'll update when I finish the entry.
I don't want the world, I just want your half

Matt Frith

Hello, as promised, here is my entry.  I feel I kind of rushed bits of it but I am going to be busy this weekend and next week and won't have much time to work on it.  

I had a difficult time coming up with an idea for this one despite the possibilities for an underground scene being almost endless.  This one is the result of random photoshop doodling.

Mad: Nice entry. Would definitely work well in an AGS game! :)  I'm not familiar with Neil Gaiman though :(

Sughly: Hurry up with your entry, they are always nice :)

Chicky

Awesome background Tier, reminds me of Terranigma.

Mad, please make a game in that style! Lots of love - Chicky.

cat

Awesome Tier! This totally reminds me of Lemmings...

Ilyich

Great entry, Tier! Some weird/cool shapes there, and the amount of detail is overwhelming, as usual. Well done :)

Mad

Quote from: Chicky
In the works... and thanks a lot ;).

Quote from: cat
Yeah, that's it, Lemmings! It totally reminded me of something, but I just couldn't put my finger on it!

@Tier: Great background btw. It's just so nice and crisp!

Matti

Quote from: Mad on Sun 07/11/2010 12:43:59
Quote from: Chicky
In the works... and thanks a lot ;).

Good to hear that, it's a really nice style.

Matt Frith

Quote from: Chicky on Sat 06/11/2010 14:05:09
Awesome background Tier, reminds me of Terranigma.

Thanks Mr Chicky, although I don't know what Terranigma is :(

Quote from: cat on Sat 06/11/2010 16:50:06

Hehe, imagine a Lemmings point and click adventure. Also thanks!

Quote from: Ilyich on Sat 06/11/2010 20:01:12
Great entry, Tier! Some weird/cool shapes there, and the amount of detail is overwhelming, as usual. Well done :)

and thank you for the theme.  It had my brain rattled for quite some time but I had fun in the process.

Quote from: Mad on Sun 07/11/2010 12:43:59
Great background btw. It's just so nice and crisp!

Thanks! I enjoy yours as well. I agree with what Chicky says :)
p.s. I have been looking into Neil Gaiman's work. Any recommendations?

Anian

Quote from: Tier on Sun 07/11/2010 18:21:41
Thanks! I enjoy yours as well. I agree with what Chicky says :)
Novel American gods and short story collection Smoke and mirrors are my favs. Of course the Sandman series if you like comics/graphic novels
I don't want the world, I just want your half

Ilyich

Only few days left, if anyone is working on something and needs a small extension - I would be happy to oblige. :)

Quote from: Tier on Sun 07/11/2010 18:21:41

As anian already pointed out - American Gods and Sandman are his magnum opuses, although I would also like to recommend his children's book Coraline (and it's wonderful stop-motion film adaptation by Henry Selick) and a particular comic book issue - Death: The High Cost Of Living (Sandman spin-off, featuring Dream's much beloved big sister).

P.S. Kudos, Mad, you've turned this contest into a Gaiman discussion :P

Snarky

I'd add Mr. Punch to that list of Gaiman's best.

(Don't have an entry this round, waiting for a graphics tablet.)

Ilyich

I'm extending the deadline till Monday, so now you have a weekend to come up with something (or finish what you've started).
So, still plenty of time, feel free to join! :)

Oh, and since this seems to be an appropriate thread for this - Happy 50th birthday to Neil Gaiman! :)

Sughly

Haha, I was coming in to apologise for not making it. Damn. Looks like I have more time to look bad for not entering :(. Does it make it better that I'm working busily on an AGS game instead though?

oraxon

I've always wanted to see the Lascaux caves, but they're closed to the public, so maybe I'll only get there in a game.

Ilyich

oraxon, great! I've always been fascinated with cave paintings, and they're perfect for adventure games.
Nicely rendered, love the soft, hand-painted feel.

Quote from: Sughly on Thu 11/11/2010 00:20:10
Haha, I was coming in to apologise for not making it. Damn. Looks like I have more time to look bad for not entering :(. Does it make it better that I'm working busily on an AGS game instead though?
Yes, it does. You are forgiven. :) Egress?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk