First walk cycle

Started by Big GC, Sun 31/10/2010 02:45:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Big GC

Man these are difficult.

This is a NPC from my forthcoming first attempt. Tried a game a while ago but scripting killed me. But I am wiser and calmer now so giving it another go.

I like animation, but never really do walking characters, so this is the first one.
This is the style and my level of animation skill I can achieve atm.

Feedback and suggestions? (I have not decieded whether to shade it yet, like the look of it against the background. Nice 2d cartoon look)

Making a game - this should be easy......?

limbo

Like you said, it's a nice 2D cartoon look, which will look good in a suitable environment. No need for shading in my opinion.

As for the walking cycle, I think the side view looks just fine. There are a few things about the front view, though. His right hand seems to be swinging from a forward position, to a straight down position back to a forward position. It is never behind the doctor's coat or behind him as it is in the side view. You will probably have to make part of the hand be obscured by the coat or the arm itself. Neither the left or the right upper arms seem to be moving in the front view.

The legs are much better, though maybe a little too far apart from eachother, in my vew. One detail: The front view suggests he lifts his toes so much only the soles of the shoes are visible in the beginning of each step. In the side view he does not lift them as much, and that looks much more natural to me.

Keep up the good work

Snake

I think it's great.

The only thing I can think of is putting more frames into his arms on the front view.

His right arm looks like he's constantly checking to see if his wallet and/or keys are still in there and his left arm is hanging by his side ready to draw his weapon at the count of three.
Grim: "You're making me want to quit smoking... stop it!;)"
miguel: "I second Grim, stop this nonsense! I love my cigarettes!"

Sughly

Quote from: Snake on Fri 05/11/2010 02:05:26
The only thing I can think of is putting more frames into his arms on the front view.

His right arm looks like he's constantly checking to see if his wallet and/or keys are still in there and his left arm is hanging by his side ready to draw his weapon at the count of three.

I agree. I think the profile view is quite well done. Front one is the one that needs some work. His legs seem to be working... hard to tell when it switches between cycles! Maybe seperate them so it's easy to see how a complete cycle looks looping. His left arm is hardly doing anything while his right is moving heaps. You need to replicate the arm movement of the profile view, so have one arm swing a little in front of him as one goes a little back behind him, then swap that movement around on the next step.

Heck I suck at explaining. Here's a basic set of steps I did for an animation course which I always refer to when drawing up my own cycles...

The movement is quite exaggerated and cartoony, but it might help with where the arms needs to be going on the front on view.

Big GC

Thanks every one. Looking back I was very focused on the legs to convey "walking" and didnt give the arms as much thought.

Sughly that layout is awsome. Just the template I needed - cheers :)

Big GC

Practiced new walk with a beloved charecter - straight off of Sughly's diagram.

Very happy with this one - much better

p.s I know the pocket shading disapears in one frame, saw that after I made this!   :-\

Originally I just made this to practice making a walk, but now it is complete I am getting the urge to put this into a game  :-X

ddq

Well look who it is! I'd recommend less extreme movement with the hands, but other than that, it's a really good walkcycle, especially the legs.

(And yes, you should put it in a game.)

Sughly

Quote from: ddq on Fri 05/11/2010 16:28:51
I'd recommend less extreme movement with the hands, but other than that, it's a really good walkcycle, especially the legs.

Yeah good points here. The hands are exaggerated because it was a real over the top cartoon look I was going for, so best not to follow the template I put up TOO closely  :P. But looking good!

Big GC

Nah I like the over exagerated movment. Think it suits this character perfectly.

But I will prob tone it down for any supporting characters

Big GC

Alright, 1 last demo.

Thanks to all your help and tips. I am really amazed how much better it all looks now.
Just needed some wise direction and a little practice. It definatly dosent seem as duanting to draw the walk now so cheers.
Here is Dennis's front cycle.

Now what setting can I drop him into - thats the fun part  ;)

Tabata

Wow - This looks really cool. 8)

Let's speculate, that this one is going to do something stupid, which makes a lot of fun (or already did it). ;D

I'd love to see this one in a game - good work!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk